Backing up to Kies

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I did a complete backup before trading in by GS4. But I learned that you can only basically backup photos, contacts and apps. But you CAN'T backup data. What's the point in backing up if you can't back up data created by the apps. I lost three important text files because KIES backed up the notepad I use, but not the notes I created with it.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
When I did my last FDR, I used Kies 3 to back everything up and was very disappointed when I found out that it didn't restore my app data. I agree with you, what's the point? I did have "Back up my data" turned on in the OS Settings, which is supposed to restore backed up app settings when you reinstall an app, but I think using Kies sabotaged that capability because it backs up the APK's and restores them directly, so the Google stuff never has the opportunity to restore the actual *data* that we care about. Really dumb!!!

Kies didn't even do a thorough job of restoring my OS settings.

It sounds like M is supposed to have built-in backup capabilities that are pretty close to what iPhone users have had for years, I hope so. In the meantime, I'm going to give Helium a try next time I have to FDR.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Lollipop offers the ability to "clone" another device via nfc when you first setup a new device. Haven't been able to try it, but I've heard it works pretty well. Not sure if that does specific app data either though.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Tried Helium But I didn't like the fact that you can't back up to the computer. I just don't trust the cloud for anything. Back to the drawing board

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Tried Helium But I didn't like the fact that you can't back up to the computer. I just don't trust the cloud for anything. Back to the drawing board
Please post back if you find something that works well!

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, I installed Helium. On the Market, helium says "Backup and restore from PC". THis is NOT true. I bought the paid for app. I installed the app that installs on the PC desktop and when I try to backup, I get these choices:

Attachments

• HELIUM CHOICES.jpg
    HELIUM CHOICES.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 181
OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
What am I missing? I sent an email to the dev saying if I can't backup to the PC, I want a refund. We'll see.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
What am I missing? I sent an email to the dev saying if I can't backup to the PC, I want a refund. We'll see.
Helium lets you backup your apps and data to your SD card or cloud storage. With Helium, you can sync app data from your other Android devices-- even if they are not on the same network. Set up backup schedules with Helium, and never lose data again.

It does not offer BU to a PC

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Helium does backup to your PC, but it's not super intuitive. You need to install both the android app and the pc app, then you connect with the USB cable to do some initial setup. After that there's a menu item in the phone app the launches a web server and displays its address. You enter that address in the browser on your pc, which opens a web page where you do the backup/restore operations.

There's instructions on the dev's website and a wiki page, read through those first:

ClockworkMod Carbon
Helium Wiki koush support-wiki Wiki GitHub

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I followed those and it still wouldn't work. This app seems far too restrictive. I'll try something else.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't have any experience with Helium, but you might give KIES another try. Unistall it and try redownloading it.
If after doing that and it still doesn't back up certain text files, create an S5 folder on your PC simply drag and drop them into said folder on your pc.
Aside from DropBox & Titanium Backup for my apps, that's all I use on my device. It's so quick and simple to do, and there's no need to mess with any apps that may or may not be compatible.
(just a thought)

S5 tap'n

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Kies was the same deal. You can't back up data...only apps, contacts, photos, videos etc. I don't need it for that. I'll just use the phone as an extra drive and move things around with windows.