Backing up apps data?

Stang68

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've searched and have found nothing, amazingly! I am getting a replacement for Droid from VZW and want to know how I can backup my apps data. How do you do it? I'm not rooted and not on Froyo.

Thanks!

OP
Stang68

Stang68

Reaction score
Apps data. I have My Backup Pro, as well, and it only backs up applications. There must be a way to backup application data!

(On a side note, that app is not so great. I used it once after a factory reset and it installs your backed up apps for you, but not from the Market. If you want any updates, etc from the market, you have to install them from THERE and NOT from My Backup Pro).

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Its sure a hell of alot easier doing it this way and then updating the few apps that may have updates then remembering all the apps you had, typing them all in again at the market..

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Titanium is root only.

I have no idea if there is an app that will back up application data. Your purchased apps are tied to your gmail account. Not sure about the ones that you install that are free, though.

Taegost

Reaction score
Are you sure that MyBackup Pro is the app only and not data? That would make it rather useless, considering how your apps will auto-download from the market after a wipe...?

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
Looks like the best course of action for u would be to..... ROOT! join the club: we have savable app data!

aaah people who are worried about voided warranties just havent thought of throwing their phone under the car and running it over. cant check to see if u rooted then, now can they :D

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Stang68,
Which data are you worried about? It might be easier if we start there.

There is an app that backs up all your text messages to the web. Your contacts will also be backed up to gmail. Any apps you paid for remain paid for. The majority of apps you have downloaded will automatically redownload to your phone again. You will have to set up your desktops again, placing icons where you want them.

As others have suggested, rooting is an option to grab all that data, then you can return the phone to stock condition and return it. You will need to root the new phone to get the data back. As you might suspect, returning that phone to stock will result in losing the data again, so you'd have to remain rooted.

NewDroidOrder...that would be insurance fraud. Please refrain from suggesting that, thanks.

OP
Stang68

Stang68

Reaction score
Stang68,
Which data are you worried about? It might be easier if we start there.

There is an app that backs up all your text messages to the web. Your contacts will also be backed up to gmail. Any apps you paid for remain paid for. The majority of apps you have downloaded will automatically redownload to your phone again. You will have to set up your desktops again, placing icons where you want them.

As others have suggested, rooting is an option to grab all that data, then you can return the phone to stock condition and return it. You will need to root the new phone to get the data back. As you might suspect, returning that phone to stock will result in losing the data again, so you'd have to remain rooted.

NewDroidOrder...that would be insurance fraud. Please refrain from suggesting that, thanks.

Not really any specific data. Just application data, in general. Say, my notes in my Notepad, my passwords in Password Keeper, etc. I feel like Google kind of dropped the ball here. Thank God it's fixed in Froyo!

So what I'm gathering is that there is no way to backup application data without rooting? Kind of sucks! I'll look into rooting, I guess, even though it was something I wanted to avoid.

Can anyone suggest a good rooting FAQ?

Briankbl

Reaction score
My Backup Pro DOES...I repeat, DOES...backup/restore Applications AND App Data.

OP
Stang68

Stang68

Reaction score
Really?? Mine didn't last time I used it to restore. Bummer.

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
My Backup Pro will back up things like your Call Log, Contacts, text messages etc.., but WILL NOT backup application data.

I had applications like Personal Assistant and Easy Note where I lost everything after I rooted.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good rooting FAQ?

1st link in my sig...post 13. Read through it a couple of times but basically it involves getting rsd lite installs, flashing sprecovery with it, then flashing the froyo rooted rom. Or you can install any other rom you'd like.

yorT

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back up but pretty much same question I have. Also when you go to root to use Titanium Back up you'll lose all your application data so it's kind of pointless for the OP. I was wondering if there was a way to save application data like, don't laugh, angry birds. If I go and root again I'll lose all my angry birds progress. I know it's silly but you'd think there would be a way to back that up as well.

Edit: Well I stand corrected, you won't lose you app data if you root as MotoCache1's guide will root with current OTA update. Very well written:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Last edited: