Background apps that are running and I havent even used....

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Totally new to this forum, just finally got my first smart phone, Droid RAZR HD, I LOVE IT!!!!

I do not like though the massive memory that takes up space from these background apps running.... for instance, right now, though NFC is turned off, Nfc Service is running in the background. Why? And also, why when I kill the apps with Task Killer, they friggin return?

Bad enough the phone only has 1 GB of memory, but to have only a hundred or so megs free hurts the phones performance.

I have used the app killer back to back and once freed up 350 megs. But then just goes back down to 100 or so free megs.

Any ideas?

James

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Hey James.

This is a misconception. Android keeps apps running (using RAM) in the background so it can access them easier and it actually helps the phones performance. As long as they aren't using CPU then you are fine.

Task killers don't work like they do on a computer for these phones and the general consensus is to stay away from them.

Edit: I also moved this topic to the HD section.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I appreciate the info and understand, yes, it makes access to them faster but if I never used or use NFC, why would that be running in the background? And I too find the task killer absolutely pointless as they come right back.

But as stated I thought there may be an app that will keep things that you have no use for out of the background, and out of my RAM. Also, the whole reason for RAM is to make it faster for CPU to access that program, so in theory, I would think an overload in RAM would actually have an effect on the processor, if not, then there would be no need for RAM, just ROM.

James

KaChow

Reaction score
What you could do and I don't know if you have root or not. Without root you can try disabling apps from your Settings> Apps> "All" which if you do not have root or superuser access, some system settings and apps may not be able to be disabled, (also I suggest to click the check box for Don't keep activities, that is listed in Settings> Developer options> Apps> Don't keep activities.) If you are rooted you can safely freeze some of these useless running apps, I suggest to Freeze rather than Delete as "deleting" can cause problems in the long run. Anyhow, here is a list of all the apps that can be safely removed, click here.

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
What you could do and I don't know if you have root or not. Without root you can try disabling apps from your Settings> Apps> "All" which if you do not have root or superuser access, some system settings and apps may not be able to be disabled, (also I suggest to click the check box for Don't keep activities, that is listed in Settings> Developer options> Apps> Don't keep activities.) If you are rooted you can safely freeze some of these useless running apps, I suggest to Freeze rather than Delete as "deleting" can cause problems in the long run. Anyhow, here is a list of all the apps that can be safely removed, click here.

When I go to Settings, the Apps, it said I had to install the new software for Apps, so I did, now its saying that it doesnt exist anymore??? I remember once being able to "Force Stop" apps with out the Task Killer.

What or how do I get back to where it shows me whats running in the background? Confused now....

KaChow

Reaction score
Correct you did have the ability to Force Stop apps. Basically it sounds like you are interested in 2 functions within the Settings 1)Battery and 2)Apps. Take a look at the Apps, what is "Running" and also check out the Show Cached Processes. I tend not to use either of these Settings to monitor activity, instead I use the Pro version of this app, click here for the free version, it will provide you with some very helpful information.

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Thanks! Nice App, quick question, that maybe you know.

When I put the phone on speaker... right.... and the screen goes out, why is there NO way to get it back off speaker? The ONLY thing I am able to to do is end the call by hitting the power button, what the hell is that all about?

Is there a setting where I can specifically set, that if I am on speaker phone, some how I can go back and turn it off without ending the call?

THNX!

WindowsHat3r

Reaction score
Thanks! Nice App, quick question, that maybe you know.

When I put the phone on speaker... right.... and the screen goes out, why is there NO way to get it back off speaker? The ONLY thing I am able to to do is end the call by hitting the power button, what the hell is that all about?

Is there a setting where I can specifically set, that if I am on speaker phone, some how I can go back and turn it off without ending the call?

THNX!

You have the power button as end call in your settings you can take it off. That's what your problem is.

WindowsHat3r

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Settings - accessibility and turn of "power button ends call."

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

finndo77

Reaction score
I know, I know, I keep posting on old threads...

But since a lot of these topics are Android specific and not specific to any Droid, I have some experience with them from my previous device ownerships. I do not use and did not like it when I tried it, BUT Juice Defender may help you a lot with your battery issues, I have been told you can change the priority of certain apps, so they are "less likely" to load in the background, that way for apps you don't use, but don't want to remove in case you need it...

It also can manipulate your radios (turn gps on or off, wifi, and cellular data)

zaphodity

Reaction score
I was worried about the same thing, couldn't understand why they would be running. Which is part of the reason I
searched for a forum like this one. Keen to learn as much as I can. As for the phone, it's my first smartphone as well.
VERY happy thus far with my purchase.

OP
jimmythegent

jimmythegent

Reaction score
I was worried about the same thing, couldn't understand why they would be running. Which is part of the reason I
searched for a forum like this one. Keen to learn as much as I can. As for the phone, it's my first smartphone as well.
VERY happy thus far with my purchase.

Yeah, its a cool phone. nice display, too. Just dont like the stuff floating in the background. Some say its "nothing", well if thats so then it should be no big deal to rid of them without rooting.

KaChow

Reaction score
You know if you want to try to reduce what is running in the background> take a look at this Bloatware Removal thread> while it is based on 4.1.1 and there a slight changes to the app versions on 4.1.2, for the most part I highlighted what the Bloatware items are. I cannot say that I remember removing much from when I was unrooted, but if you go into your Settings> go to Apps> slide the screen to the far right and should say "All", those are all of the apps installed, just open the ones you do not want and "Disable" them (that is the ones that are safe to disable as I mentioned in the Bloatware thread) , I should note, that without Root, often if your Device Reboots or is turned off and restarts, those Disabled apps may re-appear. If you interested in Rooting I suggest this thread> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...t-hacking/237461-tool-easy-root-komplete.html which there is an excellent single click root method available for 4.1.2, just download, extract, plug your device in, hit the "run.bat" follow screen prompts and you have Root. If for some reason you try this and don't enjoy it, try this app costs all of $.99 and Root will be gone forever.

Last edited: