[Auto] Root and Unroot for HTC Thunderbolt!

nmsystms

Reaction score
*This is created by DroidXcon over at Android Central. I take no credit for this just sharing the link:

[Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows)**Updated**4/20

WARNING:

The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.

IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police, Android Central, Team AndIRC and myself disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

Download times maybe rather long, root includes OS downgrade and upgrade images.
I have created this to make the process easier but as a user you should know and understand the use of adb.
If for some reason the process should fail there may be need to manually troubleshoot and proceed using adb commands
under the tips area of this thread i will supply references to familiarize yourself with adb
warn.png

INFORMATION:

USB driver download (All are the same):
Tip: For best results use USB ports in the back of the computer.
info.png

Auto Root
  • Download Auto root
  • Unzip to anywhere on computer
  • Activate debugging mode and stay awake (below USB debugging)
  • Set the phone to Charge only
  • Open TB_Auto_root Folder
  • Double click Start unroot
  • Follow prompted directions carefully

Auto root:

Auto Root Alpha Version 2.1
  • If you have not done so download Auto Root above
  • Download Auto Root Alpha Version 2.1 (should take 30seconds)
  • Place the START_ROOT_V2.1 batch file in the TB auto root folder
  • Double click START_ROOT_V2.1
Change log:
  • Added connection loop to prevent running program with no connection
  • Added Process prompts letting you know what it is doing as it does it
  • Added confirmations so you can not accidently continue process before you reconnect
  • Fixed some typos and added a couple extra directions

Auto Root Alpha Version 2.1 Download:

ADB replacement files Download:
  • Download and unzip file
  • Place the conent of the folder; 3 files, in the Tb auto root folder...only the 3 files not the whole folder, this will replace the 3 old files

TIP:

Remember the following:
  • HTC sync installed
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer(adb only officially supports the first primary USB port -- these are all in the back of the computer, and slower/older computers often have problems using a different one)
  • Phone in charge only mode
  • When the process looks like its hanging its actually writing the file to your sd card so be patient
  • READ the directions carefully.
  • After root is done restart the phone.

Familiarize yourself with ADB

tip.png

************************************************** *****************************************

WARNING:

When using automated methods carefully read all instruction provided by prompt before proceeding. This method will unroot you and return you to stock with S-on. Neither Android Central or I are responsible for anything that you do to your phone.
warn.png

Auto Unroot
  • Download Auto unroot
  • Open TB_Auto_unroot Folder

Auto Unroot:

************************************************** ***************************************
Credits
Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC
Cory Streater for his walk through
dsb9938 for the tutorial cleanup
Testers, especially ProTekk and Trident
Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis
Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here
psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here
All firmware credit goes to 911sniper
Jaroslav from Android Police for editorial help
If I missed anyone in the credits, it was unintentional and I will fix it as soon as Jcase lets me know who else should be added. Lots of people had their hands in on this project.

Modeled and adapted after the original method here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
*This is created by DroidXcon over at Android Central. I take no credit for this just sharing the link:

[Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows) - Android Forums

[Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows) WARNING:

The method of rooting your Android device as described in the article herein is solely for enthusiasts and not for the faint of heart.

IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA. IT WILL WIPE YOUR DATA.

Android Police, Android Central, Team AndIRC and myself disclaim all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to: bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.

Download times maybe rather long, root includes OS downgrade and upgrade images.
warn.png

Information:

USB driver download (All are the same):
Tip: For best results use USB ports in the back of the computer.
info.png

Auto Root
  • Download Auto root

Auto root:

Tip:

Remember the following:
  • HTC sync installed
  • Use USB ports in the back of the computer(adb only officially supports the first primary USB port -- these are all in the back of the computer, and slower/older computers often have problems using a different one)
  • Phone in charge only mode
  • When the process looks like its hanging its actually writing the file to your sd card so be patient
  • READ the directions carefully.
  • After root is done restart the phone.
tip.png

************************************************** *****************************************

WARNING:

When using automated methods carefully read all instruction provided by prompt before proceeding. This method will unroot you and return you to stock with S-on. Neither Android Central or I are responsible for anything that you do to your phone.
warn.png

Auto Unroot
  • Download Auto unroot
  • Open TB_Auto_unroot Folder

Auto Unroot:

************************************************** ***************************************
Credits
Scotty2, jamezelle, jcase, and all of Team AndIRC
Cory Streater for his walk through
dsb9938 for the tutorial cleanup
Testers, especially ProTekk and Trident
Thanks to scotty2 for WPThis
Busybox was pulled from a CyanogenMod ROM, source should be available here
psneuter was pulled from somewhere, credit to scotty2, source here
All firmware credit goes to 911sniper
Jaroslav from Android Police for editorial help
If I missed anyone in the credits, it was unintentional and I will fix it as soon as Jcase lets me know who else should be added. Lots of people had their hands in on this project.

Modeled and adapted after the original method here.

Downloaded this yesterday from AndroidCentral. Thanks for sharing.

For those wondering....it works flawlessly. Just follow the instructions in the window as they go.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
Is this a one click root or is it similar to fryetech's simi- auto root program?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
This worked great however,TB wont find root permissions. Setcup profiles are not getting enforced. I was already able to make backup with CW so I know its rooted. But other 2 things got me confused :icon_eek:

OP
N

nmsystms

Reaction score
This worked great however,TB wont find root permissions. Setcup profiles are not getting enforced. I was already able to make backup with CW so I know its rooted. But other 2 things got me confused :icon_eek:

Try re-installing busy box from the market. I have heard that this fixes the problem. Let me know if it helps.

OP
N

nmsystms

Reaction score
is the file correct? Its like 858MB. wow

Yeah its correct. The file is so big because it includes 2 PG05IMG2 files. First in needs to downgrade in order to use the root exploit. Then it upgrades.

awdwhip

Reaction score
When I get internets at my apt I'm going to be trying this out.

Aslo, my laptop only has 2 side usb ports. Does that matter? Also, is a FULL battery required?

Oh, before I forget, will this wipeout my phone even if I use Titanium Pro?

Last edited:

fryetech

Reaction score
Is this a one click root or is it similar to fryetech's simi- auto root program?

I just downloaded this and read the batch script. It well written and It pretty much does the same thing just written in a batch script instead.. However I haven't tested it..

flooritnfly

Reaction score
Ummmm.....soo.....really stupid question. (But I'd rather ask it then be a moron and screw my TB up).

On the original post page it says the root will wipe all data on TB... How do I back up everything on my phone first? I do not want to lose my apps (well mainly the ones I paid for), contacts, txts, etc. So just a simple copy/paste of the sd card contents to my pc?? Or is there some other/better way?

Any other "prep work" to do before starting the whole process?

Sorry, I just really don't wanna brick this $600 machine. I am tech-savvy, but a rookie with Android (since 3/17/11) and have never rooted before.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Market will reinstall your apps and backup assistant will do your contacts

njlamber

Reaction score
Privacy setting

Ummmm.....soo.....really stupid question. (But I'd rather ask it then be a moron and screw my TB up).

On the original post page it says the root will wipe all data on TB... How do I back up everything on my phone first? I do not want to lose my apps (well mainly the ones I paid for), contacts, txts, etc. So just a simple copy/paste of the sd card contents to my pc?? Or is there some other/better way?

Sorry, I just really don't wanna brick this $600 machine. I am tech-savvy, but a rookie with Android (since 3/17/11) and have never rooted before.

If you go to the privacy settings menu, you can set your phone to backup and restore.....apps you bought you can still download from market if you go to my apps in the market.

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score

There is an app to back up your text messages, can't recall the name but if u do a search I'm sure you'll find it