Need some root help

USAFgunner

Reaction score
I just got my replacement thunderbolt after being plagued with reboots after the update I decided against the OTA in favor of rooting and putting a ROM on it. I have installed the HTC sync software from their website and the phone is recognized when I switch it to sync. So I switch back to charge only with usb debugging enabled and fast boot switched off.

Next I open up cmd prompt and type cd C:\sdk\platform-tools. Command prompt switched to platform-tools and start pasting commands from [ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers however when I get to adb shell it doesnt switch to $

Problem is, how do I know if ADB is connected to my device? I did get it to go all the way through the commands to step 4 once but under my computer it didnt show external drive so I couldnt drag the downgrade file onto sd card...then after I restarted my computer it showed up as an external device so I have the renamed file on the root of my SD but now no dice through the terminal. Every time I get to adb shell step it doesnt switch to $. What am I missing?

OP
U

USAFgunner

Reaction score
Alright, to update my situation...I deleted all my old SDK's and started over. I manually edited the google driver inf file with the tbolt info and saved it. Opened the sdk\platform-tools through the terminal checked adb devices and it recognizes there is a device connected. I run the first three commands and get a response back but when I run the last two in the first step I dont get a response back. These are the two that dont respond back
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
instead of giving me a return it just goes back to C:\sdk\platform-tools I decided to press but when I type adb shell I get a # instead of an $ and if I try to run data/local/psneuter command it errors out. Kind of stuck here if someone wants to give me some pointers.

OP
U

USAFgunner

Reaction score
Watch the video that is stickied ... I followed that and was golden.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Yeah I watched the video like 100 times...still trying to figure it out if anyone has any ideas

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Adrioid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Watch the video that is stickied ... I followed that and was golden.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Yeah I watched the video like 100 times...still trying to figure it out if anyone has any ideas

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

USAFgunner - I also followed the video and everything was working out fine until the last few steps. There were some commands missing. I attached a word doc. I found from android police. Since you already downloaded all the files, continue from step 2. Follow the video again and the word doc (at the same time) to see if there's anything that might have been left out. Hope it works out for you.

Adrioid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
USAFgunner - Just to clarify the instructions I uploaded are for the old way to root the TB... The way XDA posted is different.

OP
U

USAFgunner

Reaction score
well, I am at a loss...I decided to hard reset and started again same thing kind of, I pushed all three files with a return but then when chmod busybox it said file not found. I went ahead and typed adb shell and it returned a $ but then it said reboot not found. I re-downloaded the exploits file (just in case I got a bad download) and put them in platform-tools folder again. Opened up the terminal and ran the first five commands...this time chmod busybox didnt error out but when I type adb shell it returns a # instead of $