Auto-connect to mobile data?

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Hi, everyone. I've been puzzled by something that my G3 does (or, more to the point, doesn't do). When I leave my apartment or office, and thus my Wi-Fi connection, the phone doesn't automatically switch to mobile data. I just have no connection, period, unless I open the quick settings and press the Data button. On my S3, the switch between Wi-Fi and mobile was seamless -- I never had to do a thing.

Am I missing something? I just checked the Mobile data box under Settings/More.../Wireless & networks/Mobile networks, which seems to turn on mobile data while I've also got Wi-Fi on. Does that mean the phone is using Wi-Fi only when a connection is available? I'm not used to seeing both the Wi-Fi icon and the 4G LTE icon active at the same time in the status bar, so I'm a little confused.

Thanks in advance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, if you're actively connected to wifi, it's using wifi, even when you've got mobile data turned on. It's likely on the s3 that it would only show the active connection icon in the status bar, but you still had mobile data turned on.

Unless you're on a limited data plan and worried about accidentally using up mobile data if/when you disconnect from wifi, it's best just to leave mobile data on and connect to wifi as needed. I turn wifi off when I leave my house and back on as soon as I get home. I could automate that with one of many apps, but choose not to.

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Thanks for the explanation. I'm on a shared 10GB data plan, which should be more than enough for me and my husband (he's smartphone illiterate and I tend to average 4-5GB a month), so I'm not too worried about accidentally using up mobile data. I was just perplexed! I have Trigger set to connect to my home and office Wi-Fi when I'm in range, but it wasn't working the other way around. I'll just leave mobile data on.