Auto capitalization of "i"

jh120

Reaction score
Just switched from Swype to the multi-touch keyboard and noticed immediately that it does not auto-capitalize "i", "i'm" etc. I tried adding the capitalized versions of these words to the user dictionary but this does nothing; it doesn't even bring up the caps version as a suggested word. I tried another keyboard (SwiftKey) but found that I really need the multi-touch since swiftkey missed many of my key presses. Has anyone come up with a way to fix this?

ogDroid

Reaction score
Do you have the setting enabled?

If not, go to Settings > language & keyboard settings > Android keyboard > Check the "Auto-capitalization" option.

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score
Yep, auto-capitalization is enabled.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Coming from the original Droid to the x, It'd like to know if anyone has figured this out as well. The D1 did it right from the start, so I'm kinda confused why they'd take such a handy feature out...

Emitted from X.

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
God, I've had this problem since day one after swapping back from Swype. Sooooo annoying.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The update is sorely needed on the x.

Between the shoddy keyboard, the battery life problems, and the not as good as iphone pictures even with flash I think a droid x in my household will be getting returned.

Scottay5150

Reaction score

Between the shoddy keyboard, the battery life problems, and the not as good as iphone pictures even with flash I think a droid x in my household will be getting returned.

I'm not sure wich phone you speak of... the X is an INCREDIBLE
piece of equipment .... beyond iPhone. Give it some time, let CS @
VERIZON know what you speak of. Might be a lemon. FWIW

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure wich phone you speak of... the X is an INCREDIBLE
piece of equipment .... beyond iPhone. Give it some time, let CS @
VERIZON know what you speak of. Might be a lemon. FWIW

I hear you. The problem is that my woman isn't happy about all this. I sorted out the battery problems, i tell her we can download a different keyboard...

The pictures look fine to me but the iphone has the saturation turned up or something so the colors look brighter. I'll see if i can mess with those settings.

It's the little things too, like if you are on a search results page at google.com and you edit the search at the top, the button on the keyboard is Next instead of Go. Next takes you to the bottom search box and it's annoying. I think that the transition from iphone to X can be a real shocker...in a bad way.

By the way, can you tell which phone i am using to type this because i think you can?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad news guys. 2.2 Doesn't fix the i issue. You'll have to remember to capitalize it.

2.1 on the Droid it was not an issue.

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score
Just noticed something else weird: if you type a string of words ending with the word i and then hit enter to go to the next line, it auto-caps the I. This is without adding a period at the end of that first line. So there is something in the software that knows I's need to be capitalized, it just doesn't kick in at the correct times.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just noticed something else weird: if you type a string of words ending with the word i and then hit enter to go to the next line, it auto-caps the I. This is without adding a period at the end of that first line. So there is something in the software that knows I's need to be capitalized, it just doesn't kick in at the correct times.

Same thing will happen if you go two spaces over. Does it to all letters.