Auto capitalization of "i"

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score
Same thing will happen if you go two spaces over. Does it to all letters.
I just tried this and it only seems to happen with i. Typing a string ending in "a" and hitting enter or going two spaces over doesn't cap the a. And going 2 spaces over from an i doesn't cap it either, even with auto-punctuation turned off.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Smart keyboard pro demo looks promising. Still doesn't capitalize i but the paid version probably does. Of course i have a problem with this keyboard too...when you use the microphone button it pops up a long list of ridiculous possibilities and you have to chose one. Minor annoyance, I guess, and the ol' lady hasn't complained about it.

haticK

Reaction score
just use the multitouch keyboard and hit shift...it really isnt that hard

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's not so much a matter of difficulty as it is a matter of convenience. As previously stated, I come from using the D1, which auto-capped the I. It was just nice to be able to push i and then space without that extra button push.

Not something to send me looking for a keyboard alternative, just a nice feature that I figured would work.

Emitted from X.

edwardsgroup

Reaction score
It's not so much a matter of difficulty as it is a matter of convenience. As previously stated, I come from using the D1, which auto-capped the I. It was just nice to be able to push i and then space without that extra button push.

Not something to send me looking for a keyboard alternative, just a nice feature that I figured would work.

Emitted from X.

Even BLACKBERRY capitalized the i for me!!! It looks like some jr. programmer at Motorola may have accidentally punched in the enter key instead of the space key??? HAHAHA Classic!!! A patch or quick update in 2.2 would be nice!!! Are you listening Moto????

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
just use the multitouch keyboard and hit shift...it really isnt that hard

Would you please explain this to my girlfriend, who wants to go back to the iphone because of this?

Ok, to be fair there are a few other issues she's not happy with...and the thing is, she really wants to like the phone because she understands the positive aspects.

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score
It's not so much a matter of difficulty as it is a matter of convenience.
Exactly -- the DX is an awesome phone, but I switched from a Blackberry and am missing some of the keyboard features it had. I would love it if they'd implement a "long-press-key-to-capitalize" feature like the Blackberry had. Regardless, this is still the best phone I've owned by a wide margin.

haticK

Reaction score
i agree it should be there but there must be some kind of bug so we just need to report it and im sure it will be fixed...either that or we are all missing something lol

Garrett67

Reaction score
Shapewriter and Swype both auto capitalize the letter I. Have you tried either of those?

I know they're not for everyone.

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score
Shapewriter seems to not be available on the market anymore. I used Swype up until a few days ago. At first I was impressed with it but eventually it just didn't seem very accurate. Plus there was often too much friction when sliding my finger -- not sure if that's due to my screen protector or just sweaty fingers! Thanks for the suggestions though.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the end it looks like better keyboard, $2.99+tax from the market, was the solution. Smart keyboard pro was tried too but it wasn't smart enough to change id to I'd so that was that.

OP
J

jh120

Reaction score

Bunyan

Reaction score
Check out the "&" as well.

When you type and hit (space) one time and then type "&" and continue to type it removes the "space" and the "&" slided right next to the previously typed word.

hacku

Reaction score
Check out the "&" as well.

When you type and hit (space) one time and then type "&" and continue to type it removes the "space" and the "&" slided right next to the previously typed word.

I've noticed it does that when you type the $ too... :(