Australian Judge Wants Apple to Provide iPad Sales Impact to Consider Samsung Ban

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_galaxy_tab_ipad_2.png

According to a report from Bloomberg, the Australian Court Judge in the ongoing Apple vs. Samsung legal battle has indicated that she wants U.S. and UK sales figures from Apple to provide hard evidence that sales from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has had a negative impact on iPad sales. From the beginning, one of the primary arguments from Apple was that because of the “remarkable similarity of the Samsung product” it will steal sales from the iPad in Australia. Samsung's lawyer, Neil Murray has countered that “People want an Android product, so they will buy an Android product. This is not impacting the sales of Apple.”

Samsung even went as far as to ask the court to force this disclosure from Apple. The Australian Federal Court Judge, Justice Annabelle Bennet, denied this request, but did make it clear to Apple, “Unless Apple puts on evidence showing the impact in the U.S. or U.K., I can’t draw any positive assumptions." For now, while the court case is pending, sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 have been put on hold in Australia.

In an interesting side-note,
In the U.S., Samsung is arguing that Apple stole the design for its iPad from the Stanley Kubrick 1969 film “2001: A Space Odyssey.”
That's pretty funny, and makes me want to re-watch my copy of that classic Sci-fi film. Only in America... ;)

Source: GalaxyForums.net via GalaxyTabForums.net via SlashGear and Bloomberg

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good. It's about time these judges actually tried to understand what's going on instead of making judgments on ignorant appearance. Tablets look like tablets. You can only make them look so different from each other.

psychicdroid

Reaction score
I like how apple is saying, consumers are too stupid to know the difference between an ipad and a Galaxy tab because they look so much alike. Look at laptops, EVERY laptop is identical to every other laptop in appearance. Doesn't mean if I walk into a store wanting an HP laptop I'm gonna walk out with an Acer because they look so much alike I can't tell the difference. People will buy what they want to buy. Looking alike or not, isn't going to change the fact that some people will want something other than an ipad.

I was at best buy the other day looking at tablets, the apple guy walks over and says our ipads are over here. I turned and looked at him and said, and that's why I'm over here. He walked off, didn't say another word.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Good. It's about time these judges actually tried to understand what's going on instead of making judgments on ignorant appearance. Tablets look like tablets. You can only make them look so different from each other.

Thats just it. Apple wants to be the only tablet. its the only way they will survive. They know that just like Android phones, the tablet market will start to boom for Android tablets and they will see their numbers halt and start to decline.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I like how apple is saying, consumers are too stupid to know the difference between an ipad and a Galaxy tab because they look so much alike. Look at laptops, EVERY laptop is identical to every other laptop in appearance. Doesn't mean if I walk into a store wanting an HP laptop I'm gonna walk out with an Acer because they look so much alike I can't tell the difference. People will buy what they want to buy. Looking alike or not, isn't going to change the fact that some people will want something other than an ipad.

I was at best buy the other day looking at tablets, the apple guy walks over and says our ipads are over here. I turned and looked at him and said, and that's why I'm over here. He walked off, didn't say another word.

Heh, I would have replied with something like "Why are they over there, the kids toy section is way over there pointing off in the distance somewhere".

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
seriously how many of these threads do we need? The same crap gets said in them everytime. Why not just make 1 official "Apple" thread and anytime a new news story is brought up just put it in that. These threads only lead to everyone saying the same hateful things about Apple, they really don't do any good being posted in this forum anyway. It's beyond old and tiring.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
seriously how many of these threads do we need? The same crap gets said in them everytime. Why not just make 1 official "Apple" thread and anytime a new news story is brought up just put it in that. These threads only lead to everyone saying the same hateful things about Apple, they really don't do any good being posted in this forum anyway. It's beyond old and tiring.

It's the news OTRebel, and we are here to report it. In fact, we purposefully hold back on posting every story that comes up regarding the Apple lawsuits. Our staff has skipped many of them. Regardless, today is a slow news day, and this seemed relevant as it was a change that we hadn't seen. Furthermore, I thought it would humorous for folks to hear about the U.S. case using the "2001: A Space Odyssey" defense. lol

If you find these reports old and tiring, you don't have to respond, or even read them. Some folks may want to hear about this stuff though...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's the news OTRebel, and we are here to report it. In fact, we purposefully hold back on posting every story that comes up regarding the Apple lawsuits. Our staff has skipped many of them. Regardless, today is a slow news day, and this seemed relevant as it was a change that we hadn't seen. Furthermore, I thought it would humorous for folks to hear about the U.S. case using the "2001: A Space Odyssey" defense. lol

If you find these reports old and tiring, you don't have to respond, or even read them. Some folks may want to hear about this stuff though...

I understand you are just doing your job but literally the same hateful comments are made in response to these threads every single time. That is what's old and tiring. The jokes have become highly unoriginal.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand you are just doing your job but literally the same hateful comments are made in response to these threads every single time. That is what's old and tiring. The jokes have become highly unoriginal.

I like these threads. I want to be kept up to date on this. As much as I love Apple products, I don't like the way they are conducting their business.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I like these threads. I want to be kept up to date on this. As much as I love Apple products, I don't like the way they are conducting their business.

+1 I like Apple's products to an extent. I have a iPod Touch Gen 3 but I wouldn't get an iPhone no matter the technical advancements, IMO. The whole situation regarding Apple's childish antics are pretty humorous and I don't agree with what they're doing. Every company that's in the same business as another is going to have similar products no matter what. Most of the time it's to better a product or to MAKE a better product suiting a persons needs and wants. This whole Apple lawsuit is ridiculous and stupid.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

psychicdroid

Reaction score
How can they say Samsung had any impact on apples sales? Just because somebody bought a Galaxy tab, doesn't mean they would have ever bought an ipad. If I bought any kind of tablet, that's not a sale apple lost, because I would NEVER buy an apple product. So how can they classify my purchase of a Galaxy tab as having any impact on apple sales, when if ipad was the only choice I would have never bought one.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I hang out in Apple Insider and Mac Rumors. Havent joined either yet, probably wont. I like keeping up with whats Apple doing that doesnt make it to other sites and seeing responses from some very pro Apple ppl. Like the Android market share articles. I almost always skip those now. Its old news.

About Apple having to show Samsung hurt them financially....lol. That recent rumor that the Galaxy S tablet only sold 20,000 comes at a good time...LOL!! Seriously, with ALL the Galaxy S 1 phones that sold...the iPhone 4 still set sales records last year and probably this year. Fascinate on Verizon....iPhone 4 set a Verizon sales record. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 were the 1 and 2 top phones sold last year and this year IIRC.

I seriously think Apple needs to just let it go. Ppl are obviously not getting confused with them making ALL that money off the iPhone and iPad. What is it? They dont want anyone else to make profits too? I mentioned this before: take the name Asus off my home monitor and Samsung off my work monitor....and please tell me how you can tell which is which? How about harddrives? CD, DVD players? Yea...CD and DVD players for PC's. There's only so many ways you can make those right? Any lawsuits from CD, DVD makers? Is Samsung suing LG over disc drives? All you can really see is the front of the disc tray in your PC. No lawsuits for that....

I seriously think Apple needs to just let it go.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant like the Android market share articles on this and other Android forums, I almost always skip those now. Maybe when Android starts losing market share...that will be news to me.

I can understand if someone likes a company and it gets under their skin. I like Motorola and sometimes it gets to me. But...for the most part...I just let the haters hate. I read and laugh, shake my head and go somewhere else in the forums where the haters arent hating.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant like the Android market share articles on this and other Android forums, I almost always skip those now. Maybe when Android starts losing market share...that will be news to me.

I can understand if someone likes a company and it gets under their skin. I like Motorola and sometimes it gets to me. But...for the most part...I just let the haters hate. I read and laugh, shake my head and go somewhere else in the forums where the haters arent hating.

Sometimes emotions get the best, I just get sick of reading the same old insults. I actually really enjoy a good debate, so long as it remains civil. But these threads, not this one yet, get so far off topic with people just using the same jokes over and over, it makes finding the stuff worth reading nearly impossible. "dude why not just patent the letter i like in iPhone, ahahahahaha, see how smart I am for doing that". That is the type of joke that has more than run it's course. There is also a lot more to these lawsuits than 95% of the people don't care to read in to. I hate the lawsuits too but Apple has obviously got a case in some of them because they are being granted injunctions and other various things. And I have absolutely no respect for the crazy minded conspiracy theorists who have nothing better to do than think Apple pays off the courts.....