Audiobooks on Droid X

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to add an audiobook to my Droid, but when I go into my Music App, I see that it's completely mixed with the rest of my music.

I moved the folder AUDIOBOOKS which contains exactly what it says to the following directory: Removable Storage/Media

Should I place it anywhere else? Also, when choosing USB connections to PC, is it normal to have files and folders go missing and reappearing when choosing between PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, and USB Mass Storage? I should probably take a picture of this and show you guys, right?

And one more thing, is there any way I can separate my mp3 ringtones from my music playlist? They're showing up under my music app.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Your audiobooks are going to show up in your music no matter what folder you put it in on the sdcard.

Also, put your ringtones in /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/.

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Also, put your ringtones in /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/.

I do have my ringtones in that directory, BUT in order to set ringtones for other kinds of notifications such as text message ringtone, I needed to place those same ringtones in the folder "notifications" instead of "audio".

Also, is it strange to have two notifications folders? One is "Notifications" and the other is "notifications". Wasn't sure which one I needed to put those ringtones in, so I did both. Now I have 3 folders under /sdcard/media/ which contain the same ringtones.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Try putting the sound files for text message ringtones, etc., in /system/media/audio/notifications/, as that is where the others are.

You must be rooted to do this.

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
You must be rooted to do this.

I didn't exactly want to root my phone, but I'm open to the possibility of doing so. However, I'd like to hear your personal opinion if possible.

I'm worried that by rooting my phone, I increase the chance of breaking it, attempting to send it back to Verizon, and being declined of a replacement. How many good things have you heard about rooting the Droid X, and how many bad things have you heard about it? What's the ratio of the good and bad of it, and the pros and con?

I apologize for sounding like a complete ****, but this is my first smartphone, and I truly enjoy using it and take extra care into not breaking it, dropping it, etc etc.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Well, my first Android phone was the original Motorola Droid. Once I actually rooted that, my fondness of my phone greatly increased.

Now; my Droid X is rooted. Don't worry about bricking it, etc., as if you don't want to root it manually, there is a Windows-based program at the following link that will root your phone with one click. As for when/if you need to send it back to Verizon, all you need to do is unroot it. Again, you can do this manually or use the program linked below.

Code:
http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553

Once you become more familiar with Android, you will realize that being rooted is a pleasure. It unlocks more possibilities.

P.S.: Be careful what you do once you're rooted; if you're not familiar with the *NIX command line, it can be confusing. Than again, I don't see you as the type to go tampering with system files. As you've said, you're new to Android. :p

Last edited:
OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Mkthnx001, I've successfully rooted my Droid X, but I don't know what's different about it except a speed increase.

What can you do with a rooted Droid?

Edit: HAHA I forgot why I rooted in the first place!

Try putting the sound files for text message ringtones, etc., in /system/media/audio/notifications/, as that is where the others are.

I still don't know what else I can do :-(

mkthnx001

Reaction score
First of all, you can install applications that require root, such as drocap2, which allows you to take screenshots of your phone.

You can download Wireless Tether which allows you to give off wifi without paying for Verizon's extra charges.

You can even download AdFree that disables advertisements on all of your apps.

If you really want to explore and use the full advantages of gaining root permissions, go tamper with system files. You can change the color of your status bar, change the "Verizon Wireless" eri banner to something of your choice, and more!

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have used the word "tamper". Don't mess with any files if you don't know what you're doing; atleast until the bootloader is cracked and things like nandroid backups are available to be used.

Those are just a few apps and possibilities that are achieved through root. There's plenty more you can do, and there will be even more if/when the bootloader gets cracked.

Cheers.

OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Mkthnx001, I gotta thank you for your patience, wisdom, and understanding. You're a great help!

But I'm having trouble with one last thing, about those ringtones, it says "copy failed" when I try to copy+paste them from sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/ to system/media/audio/ringtones or notifications folder.

I'm using ES File Explorer from my Droid, and I don't know how to see /system/ from my computer. Help one last time? :<

mkthnx001

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with "ES File Explorer", so...

Do you have the Android SDK and/or ADB installed on your computer? If so, just open an adb shell. (assuming you don't have this installed, right?)
Do the following:
Code:
cp /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/<file> /system/media/audio/notifications/<file>

You can also download "Root File Explorer" or "ASTRO", and just copy and paste it. Not sure about ASTRO, but to do it correctly in "Root File Explorer" make sure you mount it as read/write.

P.S.: Not sure on this, but I think the file might need to be in .ogg format to play correctly as a notification tone.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dark_Forge99

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad I rooted my phone :) Thanks Mkthnx001!

Now to find a way to increase the phone's maxed-out-yet-low speaker volume...know any apps that can fix that?

mkthnx001

Reaction score
I currently do not know any method of doing that, but I have heard of some techniques; try searching.

I have also heard that an OTA update will supposedly fix the low speaker volume in the future.