AT&T or Verizon????

305rev305

Reaction score
I have Verizon with a corporate discount. The call quality is the best I've ever had, no drop calls. The problem I have is keeping 3g and 4g inside some buildings including at work. I have no wifi at work and I barely get 3g signal. Co-workers of mine get perfect 3g with at&t though...I live in Miami so I don't know if Verizon is good here or what? Is it that gsm is better than cdma inside of buildings?

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Generally AT&T coverage is inferior, or so slow in some cities as to be almost useless. But there are certainly places where AT&T or even Sprint are better than VZW, and you just have to see. If it's working for your co-workers, it may make sense to switch.

I'm a little surprised you're having this issue in Miami, VZW LTE should be pretty good there and I thought LTE was supposed to have better penetration for buildings and such. Do you have a 4G phone? You mention 4G but then talk about getting a 3G signal - given that Miami is pretty heavily covered by LTE I'd give a 4G VZW phone a shot and if it doesn't work, return it within the 14 days and then switch carriers.

OP
305rev305

305rev305

Reaction score
Generally AT&T coverage is inferior, or so slow in some cities as to be almost useless. But there are certainly places where AT&T or even Sprint are better than VZW, and you just have to see. If it's working for your co-workers, it may make sense to switch.

I'm a little surprised you're having this issue in Miami, VZW LTE should be pretty good there and I thought LTE was supposed to have better penetration for buildings and such. Do you have a 4G phone? You mention 4G but then talk about getting a 3G signal - given that Miami is pretty heavily covered by LTE I'd give a 4G VZW phone a shot and if it doesn't work, return it within the 14 days and then switch carriers.

I have a 4g phone which is great but I work in a 3g area... But like I said, data drops inside my building and certain other buildings as well. Is not a phone thing cause my supervisor has Verizon and she has the same problem...its frustrating because I love Verizon and I wish I didn't have to move especially that at&t does not have lte yet. Watching YouTube in hd with no buffering is the best! The good thing If I switch would be that at&t is offering unlimited calling to any mobile numbers if I get a family plan...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Live in the Bay Area and had perfect coverage with AT&T when I had it. I get perfect coverage with VZW too.

My sister who goes to school in socal gets bad signal with both companies, so it comes down to location.

AT&T does have more dead spots though, but I never had a problem with it

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Live in the Bay Area and had perfect coverage with AT&T when I had it. I get perfect coverage with VZW too.

My sister who goes to school in socal gets bad signal with both companies, so it comes down to location.

AT&T does have more dead spots though, but I never had a problem with it

Agreed

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it that gsm is better than cdma inside of buildings?
It's nowhere near that cut and dry. Tower placement, frequency and other factors matter. I've certainly been in buildings with VZW coverage where other carriers had no coverage.

jseah

Reaction score
It's nowhere near that cut and dry. Tower placement, frequency and other factors matter. I've certainly been in buildings with VZW coverage where other carriers had no coverage.

A lot of times it also depends on how the building is constructed as well. At the office where I work, my cubicle is right next to a window. I get LTE coverage there, but when I walk further away from the window the service drops down to 3G then down to 1x. When I get to the middle of the building, I will drop down to zero bars or to the point where data doesn't work, but voice does. Sometimes I will even lose voice coverage altogether. Friends with AT&T will just barely be able to hold signal, with either one or zero bars. If I go to my company's office building in NYC, a 40 story building in midtown Manhattan, I don't lose reception, even when traveling in the elevator.

nikecar

Reaction score
Also, different phones have different signal strengths too within a carrier. You could try a different phone if you just got this one. I've known people that could only get coverage in one room of their house.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

CXTKRS1

Reaction score
I have been with Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile and for me Verizon by far has been without a doubt the best carrier.