AT&T jacks up data plan prices as usage booms

Nealius

Reaction score
not sure how I missed this..

AT&T jacks up data plan prices as usage booms - Yahoo! Finance

(Reuters) - AT&T Inc plans to sharply raise prices on data plans for smartphone and tablet customers from next week, calling the move a response to an explosion in wireless usage.
The No. 2 U.S. carrier dropped a controversial $39 billion bid for Deutsche Telekom's U.S. wireless unit T-Mobile last month, bowing to fierce regulatory opposition but leaving AT&T to try and find an alternative to address its shortage of wireless airwaves.
From January 22, AT&T customers will pay $20 for a 300-megabyte monthly data plan, up from $15 for 200-mb currently. Users with higher requirements can also opt for $30 for 3 gigabytes -- versus $25 for 2 GB previously -- or $50 for 5 GB, up from $45 for 4 GB.
AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel estimates that data usage is increasing 40 percent every year, spurring the company to offer more upfront. Consumers are rapidly migrating to video and music.
The new prices affect only new customers; existing customers can stick with their current plans or upgrade as needed, AT&T said in a statement.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is where vzw is now basically $10 per gig. My concern is that vzw may increase their rates as well. :frown:

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Just wait until AT&T buys T Mobile for the prices to really start climbing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
These prices are better than VZW.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
A 50% increase in data for only a 20% increase in cost and 50% more data than VZW's same $30.00. Sounds good to me. If I weren't paying $9.99 for unlimited data and it wasn't AT&T.

Mullens

Reaction score
Its only cheaper for, the 3GB

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That is where vzw is now basically $10 per gig. My concern is that vzw may increase their rates as well. :frown:

+1

I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen to be honest.

nikecar

Reaction score
If you have 2GB with VZW, its better with ATT. If you have 4GB with VZW, its worse with ATT.

If you have unlimited with VZW, it much worse with ATT.

They just need to recoup the money from the failed TMo bid. That's $3B, as in BILLION they gave up.

Red Droid

Reaction score
If you have 2GB with VZW, its better with ATT. If you have 4GB with VZW, its worse with ATT.

If you have unlimited with VZW, it much worse with ATT.

They just need to recoup the money from the failed TMo bid. That's $3B, as in BILLION they gave up.

Unlimited is actually a wash. There are grandfathered AT&T unlimited subscribers just like on Verizon. I think the Verizon grandfathered tethered plan users come out way ahead of anybody though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Unlimited is actually a wash. There are grandfathered AT&T unlimited subscribers just like on Verizon. I think the Verizon grandfathered tethered plan users come out way ahead of anybody though.
I'm sorry, how is it a wash?