Asus Cube (GoogleTV Device) Goes Up for Preorder on NewEgg for $139

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;UzzsLVSBGdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UzzsLVSBGdU[/video]​

Although it's a little bit on the pricey side compared to the competition, the Asus Cube just became available on Newegg for $139.99. They also revealed the new GoogleTV device will be available on April 24th. We aren't sure why it would be worth $20-30 bucks more than the competition, but it does have a unique look and Asus' reputation. If you want to grab one of the pre-orders, here is a link below.

Source: NewEgg

WishRyder

Reaction score
I wish I could find some useful hardware specs on it. Processor, memory, chipset, anything. All any site mentions is HDMI and the remote's features. My Logitech Revue left a lot to be desired hardwarewise, and if I could replace it with something (anything) better, I would be much happier with it.

EDIT: Finally found some hardware specs reported when it was originally called the Qube

Powering the show is the Armada 1500 chipset by Marvell, and 1GB of RAM. The Armada 1500 SoC was designed with Google TVs in mind, and is a dual-core 1.2GHz chipset.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
does have a unique look and Asus' reputation.
This is not a good thing depending on who you ask lol. Then again this is not something consisting of ASUS components so that's good. I actually caved in and bought an ASUS DVD burner not long ago because it is actually just a Light On burner in disguise and only costed like $25 or so.

The double sided remote does NOT seem like a good idea imo. I suspect it will cause some problems. Maybe I am alone but I feel like I grip my remote firmly when I push a button and I could see where I would push buttons on the under side and get very frustrated very quickly.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
boxee box didn't patent their unit? this looks like a carbon copy of it which i have installed at my in laws bedroom. even the remotes are similar two sided keyboard/remote units.

hotice

Reaction score
Doesn't it use standard Google services and run normal Android apps? To me that's worth at least $30-$40 more than the competition.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wish I could find some useful hardware specs on it. Processor, memory, chipset, anything. All any site mentions is HDMI and the remote's features. My Logitech Revue left a lot to be desired hardwarewise, and if I could replace it with something (anything) better, I would be much happier with it.

EDIT: Finally found some hardware specs reported when it was originally called the Qube

Powering the show is the Armada 1500 chipset by Marvell, and 1GB of RAM. The Armada 1500 SoC was designed with Google TVs in mind, and is a dual-core 1.2GHz chipset.

I use my 360 to stream from my serviio server and... well sometimes it leaves alot to be desired... I'd like to try this but it just seems... woefully underpowered.

boxee box didn't patent their unit? this looks like a carbon copy of it which i have installed at my in laws bedroom. even the remotes are similar two sided keyboard/remote units.

Vizio has a remote that's double sided with a keyboard on the bottom, my sony remote has a lazy button on the bottom for power off... it's pretty awesome, just grab the remote and your finger is already on the power button, I've NEVER accidentally turned it off.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Doesn't it use standard Google services and run normal Android apps? To me that's worth at least $30-$40 more than the competition.

Vizio Co-Star is a Google TV device and is $99. I think that's what the OP meant by $30-$40 more than competition.

Additionally the latest Roku is $99 as well.

I've been wanting to try one of these devices but haven't decided which.

Valvoline

Reaction score
does anyone know whether the search function will search folders on your computer? then i can use Cube to play movies off of my hard drives rather than through the computer