Astro goes the ad route.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
ASTRO File Manager now Ad supported

capturetsw.png

ASTRO File Manager is now an ad supported app. Today they released a Paid key to remove ads. Will you buy the Key, Stick with the ad supported free Version or switch to something else?

The key has been released for a price of $2.99 and it says that it is an opening day special. Makes me wonder just how much they plan on charging for this app.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
$3 is fair for a paid version of Astro, not sure I'd give any more than that however.

Skull One

Reaction score
capturetsw.png

ASTRO File Manager is now an ad supported app. Today they released a Paid key to remove ads. Will you buy the Key, Stick with the ad supported free Version or switch to something else?

The key has been released for a price of $2.99 and it says that it is an opening day special. Makes me wonder just how much they plan on charging for this app.

Considering how many apps do the same thing for less, I will pass.

And every time I see "opening day special" on a Android App I read that as "I need to drive sales by scaring you with 'the price may go up'". Which automatically means I won't support that Developer ever again.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I really don't see what the big deal with ads is. I mean it's an awesome app and they aren't charging for it... Also, if you are modded you can turn off the ads (although it still has the blank area). It's one little thing at the bottom, not that big a deal to me. I guess they could offer a paid version with no ads which I am sure they will.

In the meantime for everyone who can't stand ads, I would check out EStrongs File Explorer. It looks almost exactly the same and has the exact same features, and more, then Astro. It also has more UI options like displaying folders more similar to a computer desktop.

I so agree with you. It is out of the way and non-intrusive at all. You would have thought that adds were being stuck in random places that force you to click on it from all of this complaining. I am a stock user and I use Astro on almost a daily basis. One silly ad at the bottom is not going to keep me from using it. And also, please don't negative comment a great app just because the developer decided that it was high time that he make a little cash from his product.

huskur

Reaction score
Basic rule of marketing.....

Sucker people in with a good/great product at low (or in this case zero) cost and then when you have the "following" hit it with a increase (or in this case, ads) and suddenly your dollars are generating faster than a "green" product.

smart move by the dev......(though i don't like ads)....good thing there is root :)

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I really don't see what the big deal with ads is. I mean it's an awesome app and they aren't charging for it... Also, if you are modded you can turn off the ads (although it still has the blank area). It's one little thing at the bottom, not that big a deal to me. I guess they could offer a paid version with no ads which I am sure they will.

In the meantime for everyone who can't stand ads, I would check out EStrongs File Explorer. It looks almost exactly the same and has the exact same features, and more, then Astro. It also has more UI options like displaying folders more similar to a computer desktop.

I so agree with you. It is out of the way and non-intrusive at all. You would have thought that adds were being stuck in random places that force you to click on it from all of this complaining. I am a stock user and I use Astro on almost a daily basis. One silly ad at the bottom is not going to keep me from using it. And also, please don't negative comment a great app just because the developer decided that it was high time that he make a little cash from his product.

Just want to comment on the negative comment portion...

Don't have an issue with a dev wanting to make money. I do have an issue with putting ads on my phones screen. The aesthetics of an app play into its rating for a lot of people. I'm not going to rate an app 5 stars if it looks like crap, no matter what.

Ads=look like crap=less stars

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Heh, I can't even find the "Pro" version on the market.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
HAHA I just jumped ship to estrongs a couple of days ago. I liked the lan feature it has.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, however we're not talking about any special application here.

Astro is a file manager app, with a few tools, that, basically, anyone could code, and there are others out there that can accomplish the same thing.

That said, just what "Development" or future offerings are in store that required ad generated revenue to offset the development of said newer functions?

They updated again to apologize, and have a non add paid app, however this is backflailing, the damage was done when they provided just an update to have ads in it.

For those that want to give the arguement that it does so much, then I say ADW and auncher pro, both still free, both don't have ads.

As a dev, you make a decision early on, are you going to create an app that you are going to cash in on, or one that you are doing because you want the community to have? There are other options, several have donate DL's whereas there is no change in application, however you can show your appreciation by donating.

To me, there are NO valid reasons for having ads within an APPLICATION. None.

That said, I happen to love playing jewels when needing to pass time, that is perhaps one application of ad placement that doesn't bother me at all, it occurs while it is loading, then is out of ones way.

Wi fi analyzer, now ad supported, with option to turn off, annoying but better than no option at all.

I'm rooted, may just install adblock ...But I DON'T accept the story of "to further support development ... we needed to throw these ads in", especially an app such as Astro which has been around. BS in my book. Prove me wrong Astro, show us what new an not found functions in any other file management app is forthcoming to justify your move at this juncture.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heh, I can't even find the "Pro" version on the market.

Go to the Market and then your Downloads. Go to Astro File Manager and click on "View more Applications." The Pro key is the last one.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
What are you guys 10? It has ads because other people have to make a living. No one is forcing you to use it. Though I agree that they need to release an ad-free paid version.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are you guys 10? It has ads because other people have to make a living. No one is forcing you to use it. Though I agree that they need to release an ad-free paid version.

They do, although it's really a key to turn the ads off. It's $2.99.