Article explaining dual core and what is currently used for

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
All in all, the browsing experience itself is worth getting a dual-core phone.

The Samsung Galaxy S II allowed us 62 hours between recharges with normal usage, running the often chastised in that respect Android, and that’s without the recent firmware update.

...and full 1080p HD video recording....and better games

Yeah, not useful for about a year or so. Like, totally accurate statement. Agreed it's a pretty good article, though.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I guess battery life and games would be relevant now:icon_eek:. I am personally waiting for a dual core phone myself, but for the average user it may not be that relevant is all I am saying. Battery life is a plus for all, but I'll believe it when I see it. Evo 3d and SGS2 are on my list

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just keep going back to a video of, Optimus 2X, I think, vs. the IPhone and crushing it in browsing speeds. It's one of my big complaints. LTE may make it less of an issue, but anyone seeing how much faster dual cores browse is going to see a benefit. Now maybe it's not as big of an issue with new processors like the TBolt, but vs. the IP4 it was significant difference.

And it's a year away? So what, if you're buying a phone now you're locked in for 20 months and that seems a pretty long time to go without the benefit, especially since dual core options are already on the market.

A lot of apps are pretty simple, so I'm not sure how big of an impact dual core will really have on existing apps, anyway. But those 3 points I highlighted are pretty big selling points, I think. The average buyer may be ignorant of those differences, but I wouldn't say they wouldn't value it if they knew.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea you are right can't argue with that. We need future proof phones. I have been an advocate for dual core and more ram for a while now and was constantly bashing Verizons current line up. This Phonearena article was making me think that I was making too much of the situation. And on a side note how does Sprint get a dual core snapdragon processor (evo 3d) before Verizon...c'mon VZW...and how can they release a Playstation phone with no hdmi, single core and low ram..vzw is very dissapointing this summer so far. I hope Sprint has good data speeds.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
off the topic, sprints 4G can get like 8 Mbits/s. its not LTE, but it is damn good stuff.

On the topic, sure dual core is more efficient (except for motorolas disappointing phone releases) and is the new wave of phone tech, but all these phones are missing the thing I NEED the most: Solid hardware AND a physical keyboard!

I am actually quite happy to be 'stuck' with my D2G til next year. Dual core, keyboard, and 4G are what I am waiting for.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... Solid hardware AND a physical keyboard!

I am actually quite happy to be 'stuck' with my D2G til next year. Dual core, keyboard, and 4G are what I am waiting for.

I don't have a clue why there are no 3rd party keyboard accessories yet. It must not play nice with Android and/or all the different hardware configurations, because you'd think you just connect via bluetooth and you're off. Heck, if a PS3 controller can connect to the Honeycomb tablets, a bluetooth keyboard seems like it should work with phones (but maybe we'll have to wait for Ice Cream).

Seems like such a simple concept - just a clamshell for the phone (which should be easy enough to swap out for different phones) and then a slide out or flip out keyboard.

ColdFusion71

Reaction score
I am due an upgrade in July and with all I keep reading I kinda wanna stick with my OG Droid until some decent dual-cores come out. The battery life alone on those things they are getting is awesome. Maybe Droid3 or something after that will keep the keyboard and bring 4G LTE as well as dual-cores.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think the Droid 3 is going to have 4g.

I wonder how fast Sprints 3g is? That Sprint 4g looks decent. I will gladly take 8mbs if I can have a dual core phone with 1 gig ram, but I think I am only in a Sprint 3g zone right now.