Why Dual Core is TODAYS technology.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
After countless threads and mentions of how dual core is a tech that can't be fully utilized TODAY (on Froyo) I decided to do some research to see if in fact this statement held any water.

I was also interested in some real world benchmark tests that are tried and true. Not these ridiculous Quadrant scores that the community seems to have adopted as the true measure of a handsets performance. As you will see, Dual Core's are today's tecnology even with froyo. Enjoy......

http://androidevolutions.com/2011/0...droid-os-froyo-gingerbread-dual-core-capable/

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually dual core is already yesterdays technology meaning single core is about to be a dinosaur. But the already playing with multiple core. Yes technology will always move faster than what we can keep up with and that just help show what we are capable of pushing technology. Admiring what we can do is one thing, but chasing what people do will get you broke. I think users should read up and understand where our technology is and where we can go. But at this rate you will always be waiting. About time we all get into dual core someone would have figured out multicore. So what I do is ask what I want my device to do. Does this device allow me to do it, can I wait...is the device I'm waiting on gonna allow me to do it better. Atrix is a dual core device and it blows the device away on quadrant and benchmarks but the inspire runs smoother and better because its not lagging. Now I am sure once the atrix get gingerblur we will finally see the atrix capabilities. But no matter what if I buy now or later there will always be something better.

Beardface

Reaction score
After countless threads and mentions of how dual core is a tech that can't be fully utilized TODAY (on Froyo) I decided to do some research to see if in fact this statement held any water.

I was also interested in some real world benchmark tests that are tried and true. Not these ridiculous Quadrant scores that the community seems to have adopted as the true measure of a handsets performance. As you will see, Dual Core's are today's tecnology even with froyo. Enjoy......

http://androidevolutions.com/2011/0...droid-os-froyo-gingerbread-dual-core-capable/
Argue it all you want... At the end of the day, it came down to this for me...

Single Core + HTC Sense + Root Capabilities >>>>>>>> Dual Core + Moto Blur - Root Capabilities

And it wasn't even that close

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea Anandtech mentioned the same thing in a review of the LG 2X awhile back:

LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

From the article:

Before we start that discussion however, we need to talk about multithreading in Android. Android itself already is multithreaded natively, in fact, that’s part of delivering speedy UI. The idea is to render the UI using one thread and distribute slow tasks into a background threads as necessary. In the best case multithreaded scenario on Android, the main thread communicates to child threads using a handler class, and hums along until they come back with results and messages.

It’s nothing new from a UI perspective—keep the thread drawing the screen active and speedy while longer processes run in the background. The even better part is that multiprocessor smartphones can immediately take advantage of multiple cores and distribute threads appropriately with Android. That said, Android 3.x (Honeycomb) brings a much tighter focus on multithreading and bringing things like garbage collecting off of the first CPU and onto the second. In case you haven't figured it out by now, Android releases generally pair with and are tailored to a specific SoC. If you had to assign those, it'd look something like this: 2.0-2.1—TI OMAP3, 2.2—Qualcomm Snapdragon, 2.3—Samsung Hummingbird, 3.0—Tegra 2.

Back to the point however, the same caveats we saw with multithreading on the PC apply in the mobile space. Applications need to be developed with the expressed intent of being multithreaded to feel faster. The big question on everyone's mind is whether Android 2.2.x can take advantage of those multiple cores. Turns out, the answer is yes.
Interesting what he mentions about Android releases being paired with a specific SoC...I dont know about that. He knows this stuff better than me so...

What I would take as the biggest advantage for dual core right now is being able to multi task better. As ppl start and are already doing more with their phones dual core, quad core will only make things better.

When it comes a point where ppl start actually keeping these phones longer than a year, having the latest technology is only gonna make things easier for you. I also wonder if updating an app to utilize both cores more is easier, quicker to do on phones than on PC's. Thats another thing to think about. We might look up next month and all the apps you use on a regular basis might be optimized for dual core.

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
Sure Froyo can take advantage of dual cores, but it's not really good for anything unless people are writing apps to do that. And right now their aren't that many that do.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;COi4S1yoyO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi4S1yoyO4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - HTC Sensation - First Look[/video]

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having to keep a device for two years... I'd rather have technology in my device at the time of purchase that hasn't yet met it's full potential. This, IMO will help delay the EOL for the device. :)

Beardface

Reaction score
Having to keep a device for two years... I'd rather have technology in my device at the time of purchase that hasn't yet met it's full potential. This, IMO will help delay the EOL for the device. :)
Or you could just get the one with the unlocked bootloader and not have to worry about when Verizon considers the EOL to be....

Just sayin...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Or you could just get the one with the unlocked bootloader and not have to worry about when Verizon considers the EOL to be....

Just sayin...

Here is to hoping it remains unlocked, nothing is keeping htc or vzw for sending an ota to lock and encrypt it.

illmatic636

Reaction score

Just sayin...

I would love for you to mention just one other spec on the TB that made you buy it. All I hear you talking about in different forums is the unlocked bootloader. As mentioned, that can be taken away at any given time by Moto or Vzw. I'm willing to take a stab at something here. I bet there are more "bricked" HTC devices out there. Hence, more people with little knowledge about what they are doing to their phones. Leads to more claims to insurance for phones who warranties expired on DOR. (Date of Root)

So please give me more than the unlocked bootloader!
I want as many cores as they'll give me. A processor that can process 528 just as fast at a 1 gig but keep power consumption power consumption of 528.

And not for nothing, but, moto making it harder to unlock our bootloader teaches us lessons along the way. Lessons that help users avoid the bricking of ones device. Is the OG droid even brickible?

Sorry for the ranting everyone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just sayin...

I've played this game for the past 1.5 years with my D1.... now I want stellar hardware.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I want good hardware as well. But I will also weigh in the ability to mod as well.

Beardface

Reaction score

Just sayin...

I would love for you to mention just one other spec on the TB that made you buy it. All I hear you talking about in different forums is the unlocked bootloader. As mentioned, that can be taken away at any given time by Moto or Vzw. I'm willing to take a stab at something here. I bet there are more "bricked" HTC devices out there. Hence, more people with little knowledge about what they are doing to their phones. Leads to more claims to insurance for phones who warranties expired on DOR. (Date of Root)

So please give me more than the unlocked bootloader!
I want as many cores as they'll give me. A processor that can process 528 just as fast at a 1 gig but keep power consumption power consumption of 528.

And not for nothing, but, moto making it harder to unlock our bootloader teaches us lessons along the way. Lessons that help users avoid the bricking of ones device. Is the OG droid even brickible?

Sorry for the ranting everyone.
More RAM, smoother UI that I can wipe clean if I truly want to, 1 year contracts, an improved battery life over my Droid (I'm getting 20 hours + out of my TBolt), the fact that its already out and useable, as opposed to the Bionic, which doesn't even have a release date, yet, and the fact that when Verizon goes to tiered plans this summer, I'm locked into unlimited data, paying the same per month for 4G that I paid for 3G on the Droid for the length of the contract instead of playing Russian Roulette with tiers.

And rooting improves the phone if you know what you're doing. The custom ROMs take a good device and make it dominant. I knew I would likely never have that ability on any other device after the TBolt. It only made sense to get it.

illmatic636

Reaction score
What do you mean by wiping clear? And the 1 year contracts are done from what I understand. Battery life, you'll lose this one. Moto has optimum antenna's which pick up better signal cause less time to search for a better signal.

I believe you are in the 10% of this forum. A T-Bolt user and that's fine. But you need to come up with better stuff than that.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
People picked up the Thunderbolt because it was HTC or they just didn't want to wait. I felt the same, which is why I got the Thunderbolt on a 1 year contract. I'm glad I did it too. I have an upgrade in November and will pick what great device is out by then. Verizon has eliminated 1 year contracts, so for now my Thunderbolt will hold me over till I see the best device I could possibly get. Because this choice will be harder come upgrade being there will be only 2 years and I'm not willing to pay full retail for a phone.