Area code being added

Thegodmachine

Reaction score
Have y'all tried dialing *228 and choose option 2. This not only updates your roaming but also your tower sets. I'm just wondering if that would fix the problem.

I have tried both option 1 and 2 at the *228 service and it has not corrected the problem.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thegodmachine

Reaction score
Have y'all tried dialing *228 and choose option 2. This not only updates your roaming but also your tower sets. I'm just wondering if that would fix the problem.

I have tried both option 1 and 2 at the *228 service and it has not corrected the problem.

Looks like a factory reset worked for jason

Longshot:

Peter Alfonso's How to manually activate a vzw phone

Yes it looks like a reset it going to be the answer. I will have to look into doing it as I am new to android. Do we then need to root again?

I am somewhat reluctant to do so (although I will have to see how easy it is) because if it is very time consuming as there is no telling how many times I may need to do it. I have now found many many stories cross the web of this exact same issue with the exact same area code. Seems to be somewhat common.

OP
masterxchief

masterxchief

Reaction score
Yes it looks like a reset it going to be the answer. I will have to look into doing it as I am new to android. Do we then need to root again?

I am somewhat reluctant to do so (although I will have to see how easy it is) because if it is very time consuming as there is no telling how many times I may need to do it. I have now found many many stories cross the web of this exact same issue with the exact same area code. Seems to be somewhat common.

Look up titanium backup in the market so you can backup your apps and app data. You might also want to backup your bookmarks with titanium. I would really avoid backing up most of the other system data as it may cause the problem to return.

Like I said earlier, I got rid of the issue by wiping my phone and restoring only select apps that I really trusted. That's why I have a feeling it may be an app causing the issue.

You don't need to root again, just make sure to install a rooted stock rom or any other custom droid rom.

reasonthis

Reaction score
...it has something to do with google voice.
happened after I set up a voicemail through the service... took off the service, but still goin to 617 (not that big a deal, considering i always store area codes), but anyhow I'll keep you posted if i hear anything.

Guru

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue. droid x,rooted, w/ 2.2 leak. any luck on a workaround short of wipe and reset yet

OP
masterxchief

masterxchief

Reaction score
Finally found the solution to this problem. You need to use autostarts to disable the outgoing call entry from the dialer as specified below.

if you run Autostarts, you can see that under 'New Outgoing Call' there is an entry by Dialer. Clicking on that and you can see that the intent is handled by com.android.phone.ProcessOutgoingCallTest, which is exactly the code I found above. From here, you can just choose 'Disable' and autostarts will remove the intent, and you'll have your 7 digit phone numbers back without the 617 area code. Note that I had to restart the Dialer for this change to work (or, rather, it crashed out from under me when I changed it). Though, there are no ill effects.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/eltpg/is_your_phone_suddenly_defaulting_to_area_code/

kellyp

Reaction score
I resurrect this post because I read these old ones looking for answers, and I know other people do. Since I did not find an answer anywhere, except solving it myself, I thought readers might like to know. I get a lot out of these forums, so now is my chance to give back.

Get rid of 617 default area code.

Problem: when I enter a 7 digit number the dialer enters a default 617 area code.
Reason: Who cares. Looks like just a developer oversight.
Solution:
Not for the faint of heart.
This seriously messes with the OS, and that is the idea. You take responsibility.
First do a system-wide back up with CWM. We are talking a rooted phone.
Well, duh.
Copy the original file: /system / apps / phone.odex to your SD card
I use Root Explorer.
Hook up your USB and pull the file to your PC and get a hex editor,
I used notepad.
Search for the 617 and remove it. There will be one space between : and : and :
You’ll see.
Save the modified file somewhere else to preserve the original.
Copy the modded file back to the SD card.
Unattach the USB connection.
Replace the original file with the modded one.
Reboot.
The phone component will not work, or get signal.
Hook up the USB again, and go through the above steps to replace back the
modded phone.odex with the original file.
I know it sounds stupid, but just follow me.
Reboot.
Same phone system error, and no signal.
Go into CWM restore and restore the system you just backed up.
Reboot.
You will find you can enter a 7 digit number and it dials normally.

I know your first reaction is why flip files just to replace them.
I don’t know, but I guess the modded file changes something which solves
the problem, and a system restore does not overwrite the modded integration.

But it all works, and is just one of those 5 minute mods making my life more convenient.

Have fun!

kellyp

Reaction score
Oh, and I did not have the "'New Outgoing Call' there is an entry by Dialer." in autostarts, so I was otherwise screwed, hence the above.