Area above battery getting warm

Misterroy

Reaction score
I went to a Verizon store regarding my phone acting a little flaky after the FROYO update. The rep sent an refurb to my house, arriving the next day. Once I replaced the battery and activated the phone, I noticed that the area above the battery (where the camera is) started getting pretty warm, even the keyboard was getting warm in the same area. I called tech support again and they are sending out another replacement.
In the meantime, I went to another Verizon store and they replaced the battery, and the same thing is happening.
It sounds like this is going to be the norm. Is anyone else noticing the same thing?

Thanks!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
During the FroYo update the Droids CPU was OverClocked to 800Mhz and this area you are reffering to is where the cpu is located it will be warm to the touch and sometimes even feel hot but this is normal behavior

breNTx22

Reaction score
I went to a Verizon store regarding my phone acting a little flaky after the FROYO update. The rep sent an refurb to my house, arriving the next day. Once I replaced the battery and activated the phone, I noticed that the area above the battery (where the camera is) started getting pretty warm, even the keyboard was getting warm in the same area. I called tech support again and they are sending out another replacement.
In the meantime, I went to another Verizon store and they replaced the battery, and the same thing is happening.
It sounds like this is going to be the norm. Is anyone else noticing the same thing?

Thanks!

Yes, i've experienced this since I got it ~6 months ago.

During the FroYo update the Droids CPU was OverClocked to 800Mhz and this area you are reffering to is where the cpu is located it will be warm to the touch and sometimes even feel hot but this is normal behavior

Are you sure? My CPU speed was running at 500mhz until I OCed it to 800mhz a week ago.

olbab

Reaction score
Other causes for hot phones, quick discharge

Quoting a different thread: [from LuN3yDaV3]
"Still having this mediaserver process show up on my Droid. Now that I'm rooted I can see it in OS Monitor app using 90% cpu and my phone is fairly warm on the back. I can't kill it from OS Monitor either. It's showing as /system/bin/mediaserver PID 1083. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm not running anything related to media in case you're wondering.

Last edited by LuN3yDaV3; 02-16-2010 at 01:58 PM." END QUOTE

I don't know if my problem is the same as above, I'm still testing. Before and after 2.2 my phone often got pretty warm and discharged too fast. After 2.2 Verizon gave me a replacement battery which helped, then later a refurb phone, which also helped: no unusual warmth. It's a few weeks later now and the phone is at it again. Droid 1, v2.2. Always running a book reader, screen brightness low, no WiFi, no GPS, no music, but other apps often in background. Typically cool all morning, sometime in afternoon gets much warmer, then the battery warning comes. Brief "off" fixes.

As I said, the "mediaserver" thing may not be my problem, I'm still looking.

Ol' Bab