Are you happy?

spillner

Reaction score
It seems that the response to the Xoom is a bit hit or miss. I'm considering getting one this summer (WiFi version) and was wondering what the general consensus was. I want this to replace my laptop as far as internet browsing goes (which is all I use my laptop for) and plan on getting the multimedia doc and keyboard.

Is this worth getting?

sloppy

Reaction score
Your dead on about the hit or miss. Its really funny how many iphad gurus are lurking around the xoom forums just to try to knock it. I wanted exactly what you want something very small but larger than my X to replace my laptop. The xoom has done the job nicely. I have a small alienware M11 laptop with a 12 inch screen. While thats small and not hard to carry. I can say that for the last 4 weeks it has been sitting on my desk at my office and I haven't missed it once. I have remoted into it a couple of times from the xoom to get a file or two but it hasn't moved since I got the xoom and this is the fix for me. I went back and fourth between the xoom and the fruity device. The xoom won the battle for me because of the 4G, Widgets and No ties to Itunes. Bottom line is My laptop is setting on the desk behind me as I type this on my Xoom.

dcmodder

Reaction score
love my xoom for web browsing and with the recent flash support it's a great web experience (dolphin hd with dolphin desktop toggles to see full sites rather than mobile). it recently replaced my aspire one netbook and i'm never going back... anyone wanna buy a netbook? :p

sloppy

Reaction score
^Lawlz your m11 got replaced by a xoom???

I know how it sounds..... but yeah. I run my m11 to a 23inch monitor for flight sim but other than that was using it on the go for web surfing and my business Quickbooks, Excel, Word etc. etc. Don't need to carry that around anymore with the xoom it serves the same purpose on a smaller platform. I believe the M11 will end up being sold for a solid desktop to run flight sim and be a file server to remote into from the xoom.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Lawlz your m11 got replaced by a xoom???

I know how it sounds..... but yeah. I run my m11 to a 23inch monitor for flight sim but other than that was using it on the go for web surfing and my business Quickbooks, Excel, Word etc. etc. Don't need to carry that around anymore with the xoom it serves the same purpose on a smaller platform. I believe the M11 will end up being sold for a solid desktop to run flight sim and be a file server to remote into from the xoom.

I played Mass Effect 2 on one & it ran perfectly. I like those little things.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a wifi only Xoom.

I haven't had much interaction with tablets in general, just played a few games and browsed a little on the iPad and the Galaxy tab.

At first I didn't get it, the appeal of tablets that is, but then I started figuring out what I can do with one and figured it's worth it. $600 is a bit pricey, but I think I can justify it.

On the road I can watch movies/shows, play games, and browse via tethering.

At home I could plug it into my tv to enjoy my shows/movies on my bigger tv as I do not have an HTPC or anything, just a ps3 where turning on and setting up can be a chore. I have to convert the file, copy over, and then turn on the ps3, tv, and change the setting on my tv. With the Xoom I could just plug it in via HDMI and I'm good to go.

The battery is much better than the netbook I use in terms of mobility and the fan gets quite noisy so enjoying a show is somewhat hard to do. I can also use the Xoom as an ebook reader and that'll be something new for me.

A big part of buying it was cause of Android though. I love the freedom it allows over say the iPad and I really wanted 3.0, it just looks like a solid and very fluid OS.

$600 is a bit pricey, but you gotta pay to play. I'm sure there will be better devices in the near future, but for now I'm just wanting some basics and the Xoom covers that and more. I can't wait til it gets to my front door

dcmodder

Reaction score
well... slightly frozen water. not fluid out of the box. but open boot loader, easy to root and overclock with great battery life doing so :)

kennyc

Reaction score
It seems that the response to the Xoom is a bit hit or miss. I'm considering getting one this summer (WiFi version) and was wondering what the general consensus was. I want this to replace my laptop as far as internet browsing goes (which is all I use my laptop for) and plan on getting the multimedia doc and keyboard.

Is this worth getting?

Absolutely. Browsing, Email, and book reading are perfect on it (provided you don't do a lot of it in direct sunlight -- but a laptop is the same in that respect).

kaic

Reaction score
I am very happy with my Xoom. It is definitely worth the purchase and it runs very smoothly. Even with it missing two features (one of which you won't have to worry about with the wifi version) it still has more features than the ipad...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I agree. It is completely worth it. I pulled the trigger and got the 3g/4g one and I don't regret it a bit. I messed with one at the Verizon store for a while to see if it was really worth it and I have to say it is. If you use the leaked Google Voice app you can even text from it. I litterally get home and set my Droid down and don't touch it all night. And the battery life is amazing. I play the crap out of angry birds and text a lot. I usually get 2.5 days out of a charge with everything set to update at 1 hour or more intervals. Granted when it's at home it is on WiFi. So take that for what it's worth. I also recommened downloading the swiftkey beta from the Swiftkey website. It is so much better than the stock keyboard and looks sweet. My only major complaint would be the weight and lack of Xoom specific Google Voice. Oh and now that the netflix app that was leaked works is another added bonus. Plus it being rootable and OC is possible is another bonus and it will always get updates before other tablets as it's the first Honeycomb tablet. Just my $.02

kaic

Reaction score
Oh and now that the netflix app that was leaked works is another added bonus.

Yeah, I love using Google voice on here. Though I couldn't get the leaked version of Netflix to work on my Xoom... it FCs when I try and play movies... I guess the rest of the app works for me though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am very happy with my Xoom. It is definitely worth the purchase and it runs very smoothly. Even with it missing two features (one of which you won't have to worry about with the wifi version) it still has more features than the ipad...

what feature might that be? I ordered a wifi version from Amazon

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
what feature might that be? I ordered a wifi version from Amazon

4G. We are still waiting on the 4G upgrade to the Xoom.

lol oh right. for some reason that slipped my mind.

Considering I can tether from my phone the WiFi is good enough fo rme.