Are you Glad you Chose the Thunderbolt?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lp is actually heavy on memory, personally i prefer the stock sense launcher.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
I did notice how much memory it used. ADW doesn't use nearly as much. I will try the stock sense home launcher first and see what I think.

kirKauai

Reaction score
I am loving my Thunderbolt. First Android; been using WM for years. I do miss some of the applications I had on WM, but I continue to look for Android replacements that will allow me to import my data. I am also using the SPB Shell 3D; I used many of their apps for years on WM and have always been happy with their work. I like that I can create up to 16 home screens for organization, plus add folders of variable size to each the screens to for apps to further organize my apps. Some of the widgets and animation isn't quit what I am used to with their WM apps, but I think they will improve it soon...they just started on Android apps. Nothing against Sense, just like the SPB UI better. Meanwhile I keep learning the abilities of the Thunderbolt and Android...been pretty happy so far, other than the usual...battery life; carrier crap apps (all fixable).

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Droid Forums

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
I am loving my Thunderbolt. First Android; been using WM for years. I do miss some of the applications I had on WM, but I continue to look for Android replacements that will allow me to import my data. I am also using the SPB Shell 3D; I used many of their apps for years on WM and have always been happy with their work. I like that I can create up to 16 home screens for organization, plus add folders of variable size to each the screens to for apps to further organize my apps. Some of the widgets and animation isn't quit what I am used to with their WM apps, but I think they will improve it soon...they just started on Android apps. Nothing against Sense, just like the SPB UI better. Meanwhile I keep learning the abilities of the Thunderbolt and Android...been pretty happy so far, other than the usual...battery life; carrier crap apps (all fixable).

I would love to try that SPB Shell but isnt that app like $15!!?? No way I will pay that for 1 app :blink:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;uFD8vWzMmDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFD8vWzMmDA]YouTube - HTC Thunderbolt Root[/video]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have spb shell its not worth 15 bucks, after 2 or 3 weeks its like eh.. The first days its cool but it gets old quick, hince not being worth 15 bucks imo.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
Thats how I felt when i bought GDE on my D1. I thought it was the coolest thing the first 2 or 3 nights and then after that i wished I could have gotten my money back.

kirKauai

Reaction score
It is a 'comfort' choice. I have a lot of apps, and I want them organized for easy access. Going into the app menu wouldn't work for me. I like to be able to spin from one screen to the one I want. I like putting all my games on one screen and then making a pop-out folders to place groups of games by type on the games screen. Same for utilities, media, travel, misc, reading, communications, shopping, productivity, ... For me it is worth $15. Plus I have used SPB software for years and I trust their software. They are new at Android, they will get better and better.

wolf moderate

Reaction score
Dude, it has a KickStand!!! What else do you want?

Seriously when I first saw the kickstand I was like WTF? But it's awesome. Watching movies in the horizontal position and reading news articles and stuff in the vertical position. dancedroid

What is w/ the ROM and Root thing? Is that a thing for geeks or is it useful for a moderate user? Just joking about the geek comment :)

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score

Seriously when I first saw the kickstand I was like WTF? But it's awesome. Watching movies in the horizontal position and reading news articles and stuff in the vertical position. dancedroid

What is w/ the ROM and Root thing? Is that a thing for geeks or is it useful for a moderate user? Just joking about the geek comment :)

Rooting allows you to basically have COMPLETE control over your phone from speeds, appearance, functionality...etc. For those who want a totally custom experience I hear its the ONLY way to fly. I also hear that once you root a phone you realize what you have been missing out on. Its like a motorycle with a limiter on it. Tka eit off and gain lots of power and speed.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Rooting and roma can be for "geeks" and moderate use. I am using a low voltage kernel. So basically the mods can help improve battery life, they can allow you to use titanium backup to freeze bloatware. Rooting offers a lot of choices.

jeffly777

Reaction score
Well I'm a geek, but a non geek could root as well if they take the time to learn how to use the system.

For instance, my thunderbolt looks pretty stock, but runs even faster than the already speedy beast does normally, and my battery lasts a good 24 hours of normal/moderate use.

Thunderstruck

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
I am coming from the OG Droid. I purchased the TB to tide me over until the phone I want is released. Then I plan on giving the TB to my daughter. Here is my take, so far.
- blazing fast, most of the time
- Sense IMO is pretty cool. Like it over stock OG UI
- Bloatware is ridiculous but can be controlled
- camera and camcorder are much better
- 4G if available is fricking insane
- increased screen size and quality very welcomed

Battery life is a little downer but I realize I have an advanced piece of hardware in my hands that I use moderately some days but heavily others. A laptop used the same wouldn't last as long. So, take it for what it is and remember there are things that can be done to help with known issues.

In short, for it not being "my" phone, very impressed. Good luck and enjoy

/} () £ 7

wolf moderate

Reaction score
I'll be looking into Root'n n' Rom'n. Anything to improve battery life is OK in my book. Thanks!

jeffly777

Reaction score
Root'n 'n' Rom'n might just be my new catchphrase. Ima steal that.

You'll come for battery life and killing bloatware, and then you'll quickly realize why people love open source software on a phone.

Thunderstruck