Are Used DROID 1's holding their Resale value?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I want to upgrade--I am thinking to this Incredible HD. I don't want to do it right when it comes out but pretty soon after. I would like to sell my current DROID 1 while it has value.

Is this a realistic sell for $250?

- DROID 1
with
- Car Dock, Car Charger
- Multimedia Dock, USB Cable and Wall Plug
- Back-up Battery
- Unused InvisibleShield screen protector

Notes on the actual phone: Over the last 11 month, I mostly have not had it in a case--and it has dropped a few times. BUT, I have ALWAYS obsessed about the screen. So while there are a few scratches on the black edged, the screen is in perfect shape. No other known problems. So the phone appears used, but I do have all the accessories (that are pretty pricey) and it functions as new.

Is 250 too high too low? I am thinking with the newer stuff it will start falling in price so I better do this soon if I want a free upgrade.

- Was thinking about putting it on Craigslist AFTER I make a new purchase.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe a little low. Is it in good condition...or banged up

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
It is slightly banged up on the edges, and the speaker grill has some dents. Otherwise, not bad per se.

Keyboard slides perfectly, Battery Door still tight.

I feel like I can take a Black Magic Marker and cover some scuffs!

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I looked on Craigslist in my area, there were only a few but they were going low. I suppose I can start high and negotiate.

droider4life

Reaction score
My brother just sold his for two hundred with an otterbox case and a screen protector. i think i really depends on your area.. i just bought an X and will be posting my D1 for sale this week... i was going to shoot for 200, that seems to be the going rate in my area. i have the otterbox case also and a couple screen protectors. phone is very clean IMO

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I watch Droid 1's on eBay regularly. (You could also do a search on eBay for completed sales on the Droid 1) I would say the price has dropped from a range of $175 to $225 a month or so ago, to $150 to $200 the past week or so. These are the ones I monitor that are scratchless, in near pristine condition, from private sellers (not resellers) with a near 100% rating (98.5 to 100) with a significant number of sales to their credit, and with reasonable shipping costs. If yours is scratched up, I'd bet the most you could hope for is $150, and only if you have a decent eBay selling history.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I were to sell my Original Droid I would expect at least $250.00 for it, but it is in pristine condition and I have a 2800Mah extended battery - Chances are though it will be awhile before I even think about selling my Droid

beckx020

Reaction score
I agree. With the stuff you have to go with it, $250 seems fair. And you can negotiate a bit if needed.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I am starting to think come January price will go down because now you will be trying to sell a Fall 2009 Phone in 2011. Just a mental thing for some people. And with some of the other beasts coming soon .. it may plummet more. It's a fine line of waiting for the beasts, yet getting value for the current DROID1.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Another consideration: Do you take out insurance on your phone?
Suppose you kept your Droid 1 as a backup, rather than pay for insurance?
Sure, it may depreciate further the longer you keep it, but in the 20 months or so that you will have your new phone, and not pay insurance because you have the D1 as a backup, you will save in insurance premiums what you might have gotten by selling the D1, and still have a spare phone.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
That is a very good idea actually. However, I rather pay more per month than fork it all over at once.