Swap Droid for Droid X w/o renewing contract?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I admit, I am loving the DROID X, but the lack of LTE or a Front Facing Camera makes me want to wait-6-9 months. Assuming I have the option to upgrade around the 12 month mark like Verizon surprisingly allowed when I swapped my Dare for my DROID, I can upgrade in December. I love my Original DROID but the memory is just too low for my use. I am an app and a widget whore. I need speed! I would love to have a DROID X briefly until I can get the two requirements of LTE/Front Camera. THAT phone I will keep until it dies. The Original DROID is almost "that" phone. So is this possible...

..in the interim, can I sell my DROID (in great condition w/ car dock and multimedia dock), for around $300-$400 and buy the DROID X (and just pay the difference.... while NOT extending my contract and still allowing me to upgrade as early as December? W/o Sim cards, I am not sure how this works on Verizon. Is it easy to sell Verizon phones and give it to someone else to use? Does Verizon allow this and make it easy to do?

spugemaster

Reaction score
In my experience this is pretty easy to do especially if you are an administrator on the contract. It's as simple as calling the programming number (*228) and then pressing the correct options to activate a new phone from what I remember.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
buy the DROID X (and just pay the difference.... while NOT extending my contract and still allowing me to upgrade as early as December?
As long as it's purchased without a subsidy.

So if I pay the full retail, it sounds like the contract will not be extended. Nice.

That leaves two other questions.

1. Is it easy to sell a DROID (in near perfect condition w/ accessories) for $300-$400 -- like on Craigslist, for example?

2. And the post above says it is easy to activate a new phone by *228. Can this be confirmed? Or is this the responsibility of the person buying it to do? I just need to wipe my current DROID and move my phone number over to the X at the store then?

Edit: Does this link show how you would correctly activate a ****USED*** phone? http://www.justcellularstore.com/help/VerizonActivation.html and again.. I wouldn't need to worry about this because the X would be coming directly from Verizon/Best Buy.

Last edited:

ewells2420

Reaction score
Having just sold my old phone and bought a used one. You have to make sure your old phone is OFF. Then take your new phone and dial *228 to activate it. Actually I think you have to go online, login to your account, then activate it online. At least I had to.

The seller doesnt have to do anything other than make sure its as described. The buyer has to activate it to their account.

Taegost

Reaction score
buy the DROID X (and just pay the difference.... while NOT extending my contract and still allowing me to upgrade as early as December?
As long as it's purchased without a subsidy.

So if I pay the full retail, it sounds like the contract will not be extended. Nice.

That leaves two other questions.

1. Is it easy to sell a DROID (in near perfect condition w/ accessories) for $300-$400 -- like on Craigslist, for example?

2. And the post above says it is easy to activate a new phone by *228. Can this be confirmed? Or is this the responsibility of the person buying it to do? I just need to wipe my current DROID and move my phone number over to the X at the store then?

1) Maybe, but you'll have to do your own research.

2) Yes, it's on the buyer. It's how you program the phone to your account and telephone number, I've done it several times with replacement phones.

OP
Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Last questions -----

- Is a Factory Reset (or Restore) sufficient to wipe the phone you are selling?
- Wipe the Sim Card as well?
- Any specific order... (a) sell old phone, then buy new one or (b) do you have to have the old one when you buy the new one?

thelion

Reaction score
Here is what I recommend.

Buy the new phone. Activate it on your line. Do a factory reset and pull out your SD card (put it in the X). Then, sell the Droid.

I know when I sold my last Droid, I posted it on eBay and (seriously) 14 hours later it was sold for my full asking price of $500. But that was in March.