Are my Contacts safe?

windstrings

Reaction score
I know i can backup to my Card and I know it syncs with my Google online account.. but if someone steals the phone and trashes my contacts list, will I be able to "stop Sync" from my google online account to preserve that list?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know i can backup to my Card and I know it syncs with my Google online account.. but if someone steals the phone and trashes my contacts list, will I be able to "stop Sync" from my google online account to preserve that list?

I would think once you reported the device lost or stolen VZW would turn it off. Thus stopping the connection with the google servers. Once you sign in on your new device all you contacts and apps will be restored. Even the pay apps. You will have to fix your settings and stuff though.

The short answer is yes :icon_ banana:

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
I would think once you reported the device lost or stolen VZW would turn it off. Thus stopping the connection with the google servers. Once you sign in on your new device all you contacts and apps will be restored. Even the pay apps. You will have to fix your settings and stuff though.
The short answer is yes :icon_ banana:
Good point... as long as I report it fast enough...

That makes me feel a little better.... also trying to see if there is an easy way to backup the online contacts somewhere.. if so, that would preserve them too as long as I did it often enough.

I do see a new item online on Google contacts "import contacts"... I just don't see an "export" yet.

dtboos

Reaction score
Its there. Click contacts in Gmail, export is on upper right. Export to CSV and yer golden :)

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Its there. Click contacts in Gmail, export is on upper right. Export to CSV and yer golden :)

Hey thanks.. your right!

That helps allot.. I have literally "years" worth of stuf compiled into my contacts from my Outlook account which was sync'd with my pda.. I"ve transferred all that to my Google account and now 'Naturally" the others wont be getting updated.... especially since that pda died anyway and I'm not using my Droid instead.

Its rare you need a backup but when you do...like you say "its golden".

thanks again.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if your device is stolen/lost log in to your gmail account immediatly and change your password since the device requires a username and password.... it wont be able to sync anymore with the incorrect password

now the contacts that are on the phone yeah they will still be there but they wont be able to change/delete them

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
if your device is stolen/lost log in to your gmail account immediatly and change your password since the device requires a username and password.... it wont be able to sync anymore with the incorrect password

now the contacts that are on the phone yeah they will still be there but they wont be able to change/delete them

True... another good suggestion.. thanks.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

True... another good suggestion.. thanks.

sometimes its the simplest of solutions that work out to be the best in the end...

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
also, use the unlock pattern. If they can't unlock it, they can't do squat.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
If you're worried about having to unlock it constantly, i've heard about an app called autolock that you can set a lock timeout on. I.e screen times out after 1min, and then the phone doesnt lock for another 5min after that.

I haven't tried it as its a pay app, but i hear its good.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
If you're worried about having to unlock it constantly, i've heard about an app called autolock that you can set a lock timeout on. I.e screen times out after 1min, and then the phone doesnt lock for another 5min after that.

I haven't tried it as its a pay app, but i hear its good.

Even when I decide to start using lock on a regular basis.. that sounds like an excellent program to have.