Are flip phones dead?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Folder Pictures Leaked, Looks Like a Sweet Flip Phone ? Droid Life

samsung-galaxy-folder.jpg

KaChow

Reaction score
Check this out...

This ClamShell is no Joke! It is Quad Core, powerhouse!!!

This model is known as the Samsung Galaxy Golden and it is coming out this month.

Have a look at these specs.

• Jelly Bean Android 4.1.2 with TouchWiz interface
  • Double AMOLED display with WVGA resolution
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon processor 400 quad-core processor clocked at 1.7GHz
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1,820 mAh battery
  • LTE, GPS, NFC, FM Radio

Source

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yep, looks sweet and is by no means a slouch. I would love to have it come to Verizon in 4G. :D:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, looks sweet and is by no means a slouch. I would love to have it come to Verizon in 4G. :D:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Even though news says exclusive to the over seas market im already betting vzw and att are already rubbing their greedy looking hands together and smiling.

(evil laugh) "finally found away to get those $30 month flip phone people into giving us more money".

Im already waiting for a customer who never owned a smart phone to flip out when they see their first bill. It will be too late then because they signed the contract that puts them on the hook for the next 23 months. A smart phone that looks like a traditional dumb phone. Couldn't ask for a better snare. <the skeptic in me.

This be an awesome phone for someone who wants the features of a smart phone while staying with the familiar flip phone look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
spammer terminated, nothing to see here :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
+1 ^ With a name like Hennessy, I begin to wonder if the owner will be able to open it in a drunken stupor :blink:...or if they will know which side faces in. :icon_eek:

View attachment 65412

I can just see them trying to take a picture of someone and facing the screen side out, or opening the flip and trying to use the phone upside down (i.e. keypad to the ear)! :p I hope it's safe to drop into your favorite glass of cognac!

But seriously... There are several neat things I like about it.

1) When using it while open but as a PDA rather than phone, the dedicated Menu, Back, Home and Camera buttons are on the keypad.
2) Better still, there's also a dedicated Camera shutter button - the center button on the directional pad.
3) Also, you can operate the apps from either the open flip orientation with the inside screen or closed with the outside screen, although when closed you're relegated to the touch-screen buttons for Menu, Back and Home.

All in all, this is a big move in the right direction for these devices. The flip format has been a huge success in the portable cellular phone world, and frankly I am surprised they were both willing to move away from that layout so quickly, and as well surprised that the disappearance of flip phones has been so passively accepted by the market. There's something comfortable about the way the flip phone feels against the cheek when holding, and as said before it gives you an added level of privacy in that it comes down next to and somewhat in front of your mouth. I also know that the flip phones, particularly the ones from Motorola were some of the best sounding phones ever made in regards to how you sound on that phone to the other party.

Take any microphone and take it from 1" away from and in front of the mouth, and instead move it to 2" away and to the side...the result is a dramatically lower sound level, and I'm not talking half as loud, but it could be as much as 1/10 as loud. You may have seen on TV or in concert how the singer has the microphone very close to their mouth, they practically eat the microphone at times. Also in recording studios, singers often have their lips touching either the foam windscreen on the microphone itself (in the case of Dynamic microphones), or touching the circular screen barrier (pop filter) between them and the microphone (with Condenser microphones).

With the microphone in closer proximity to your mouth, the sound is far more distinct, the frequency response is greater, the difference between the level of your voice versus the background at the microphone element's diaphragm surface is far greater, further reducing the level of background noise, the phone's amplifier circuitry (which imparts noise and distortion), doesn't have to try so hard to increase the volume of your voice and as a result also increase the background noise, and there is therefore less distortion overall. These are the primary reasons why it's better to be close to the microphone in a recording studio and reduce the amplification.

I'm personally excited for this product and I bet there are plenty of young & middle-aged people who would still find this phone more appealing than the "mini-Tablet/PDA" style as well.

Last edited:
S

SFGate

I still have my RAZR. It would still be in use if I didn't encounter problems in getting working batteries for it. I guess that puts me in that ignored category of potential customers for something like this. I really like the resemblance to my beloved RAZR.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still have my RAZR. It would still be in use if I didn't encounter problems in getting working batteries for it. I guess that puts me in that ignored category of potential customers for something like this. I really like the resemblance to my beloved RAZR.

Be awesome if motorola makes a droid razr flip which would be built similar to the razr flip phone but on top of android with a lcd or amoled screen.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

D_B

Reaction score
I like mine so much (Verizon RAZR V3c) I took it apart and replaced the ribbon cable when the speaker started not working when all the way open ... and batteries are available ... it's my phone and still working great ... I have a non activated Casio C771 Commando as a GPS/Outdoor App carrier

pc747 ... yes, I love the look and feel of mine ... I think it would be great idea ... maybe if this one takes off

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
$2900 for a flip phone you can bet that Casio looking better every day ...how many can we get for the price of that Sammy phone ?

iPhone Seven Plus

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Flip phones are dead, but if you must have one, go with the Casio GzOne, great device.

S5 tap'n
They are far from dead here in Asia. You can get last years W2016 new for $440. Still kinda expensive..

Reactions: cr6