Are flip phones dead?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Samsung_Galaxy_Folder.jpg

Samsung doesn't think so as they will be releasing a flip phone whose screen is the familiar touchwiz look. The Samsung Galaxy Folder is a dual core low resolution device running android who's spokesman is none other than Jackie Chan himself. Time will tell if this ever makes it stateside but this would be a nice low to mid range smartphone to help strengthen a carrier's portfolio.

Samsung-SCH-W2013.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Frankly I think this will hit the market right in an area almost forgotten...the elderly. There are a LOT of people later in years who want to carry a phone, but can't handle the touch-screen tablet type interfaces of today's phones...and yet want the added features of a good camera, apps for specific functions, and the ability to see pics and videos of the grandkids. I can see this being a surprisingly big seller. I could also see this being a hit with business-types who prefer the "feel" of the clamshell phone against the ear and face, and who appreciate the minimal but appreciable level of privacy such a device also provides.

It's beautifully styled, the color scheme is awesome, and it's a full-featured Android phone to boot. I can see it selling very well to those who haven't yet made the transition to a smartphone too.

There's a reason why the RAZR (not to be confused with the DROID RAZR), sold so well. Its sleek styling and flat keyboard that actually worked even with fatter fingers makes for a great combination. The addition of a full-size screen on the back and Android as an OS makes this Samsung GRAZR (I coined that name!!) a nice blend.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Jackie Chan is the spokesman for this new phone. Time to see if this'll convince grandma to finally get a cell phone:D

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I think that's actually kinda cool. Seems like a retrofuture concept from the early 00's.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup, old school meets modern tech and it looks pretty good too.

Too bad this will probably stay in china, don't think there's a real market here in the US. Well there is, but as usual they go ignored.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup, old school meets modern tech and it looks pretty good too.

Too bad this will probably stay in china, don't think there's a real market here in the US. Well there is, but as usual they go ignored.

This is a copy cat industry don't think Verizon and att who are trying to find ways to get more people of data plans are not looking at this. Phones like this takes off first in places like china and then will make it's way over here whether it be in the form of the Samsung folder or Motorola RAZR flip . Like foxkat said there is an untapped market that this phone sits in real well. The elderly get a phone they feel familiar with while getting a phone that will allow them to see pics more vibrantly. I say within a year (if not sooner) we will see a variant in the us. Lg who are known for flip phones and have seemed to follow Sammy are probably working on their own version. Its like the blackberry pearl all over again except with an os that can bring the bells and whistles in the form of apps for a cheaper price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Another area this fits in is the people who prefer flip phones because of durability and simplicity now they get that with a little more pizzazz and the carriers get more people on data plans.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another area this fits in is the people who prefer flip phones because of durability and simplicity now they get that with a little more pizzazz and the carriers get more people on data plans.

I truly miss my old flip phones for the above you wrote and the Jethro Gibbs slam it shut factor.
When my dad passed since I am the cellphone freak in the family I got his barely used Samsung flip phone that was designed for the truly elderly that just wanted a phone. It makes calls and has a VERY loud speaker and speakerphone. It's got a few bells and whistles like the d pad is for your 4 most called numbers, a dedicated 911 key and it'll do texts but it's design is simplistic with large buttons and large fonts on the screen and not much else.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I do hope you're right PC. And I can definitely see a market for this kind of phone, but that first hurdle is bringing it stateside. I hope it does well in China (and it should cause they got a buncha other cool phones I wish came here) so that Samsung or any other major manufacturer considers bringing something like this to the table here in the US.

I think smart flip-phones have been done before but not like this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I truly miss my old flip phones for the above you wrote and the Jethro Gibbs slam it shut factor.
Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Another NCIS fan, I see! :biggrin:

When my dad passed since I am the cellphone freak in the family I got his barely used Samsung flip phone that was designed for the truly elderly that just wanted a phone. It makes calls and has a VERY loud speaker and speakerphone.

You're totally right about all points above, especially about the LOUD speakerphone. So many elderly wear hearing aids, and even though many phones are now "hearing aid compatible", the mating of the hearing aid with the phone is poor at best and they usually opt for the speakerphone as the best alternative.

It's got a few bells and whistles like the d pad is for your 4 most called numbers, a dedicated 911 key and it'll do texts but it's design is simplistic with large buttons and large fonts on the screen and not much else.

Also agree here...just making a call with a smartphone and touch screen keyboard can be a real chore for the elderly, many dealing with limited range of motion, arthritis, possible stroke victims, any number of motor or ambulatory difficulties. I have a co-worker who is in her 70s, and I just took her shopping for an S4. Although she loves the large screen for the pictures and videos (yeah...of the grandkids), and she can fudge her way through texting and replying to emails, her fingernails (of all things) are longer...not outrageously long, but more than 1/4" so hitting the touch screen in the right place is difficult. She often undershoots the button intended (too low on the screen), because the fingernail distorts her view, and she hits something totally unintended instead. Having dedicated "favorites" and 911 provide simplicity, ease of use, and a certain level of comfort and security not easily duplicated with a touch screen.

I really agree with PC747 on this as well;

This is a copy cat industry...don't think Verizon and ATT - who are trying to find ways to get more people of data plans are not looking at this. Phones like this takes off first in places like China and then will make it's way over here, whether it be in the form of the Samsung folder or Motorola RAZR flip . Like FoxKat said there is an untapped market that this phone fits in real well. The elderly get a phone they feel [they're already] familiar with while getting a phone that will allow them to see pics[and videos] more vibrantly [and in larger size for their aging eyes]. I say within a year (if not sooner) we will see a variant in the US. LG who are known for flip phones and have seemed to follow Sammy are probably working on their own version. Its like the Blackberry Pearl all over again except with an OS that can bring the bells and whistles in the form of apps for a cheaper price.

:rockon:

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Frankly I think this will hit the market right in an area almost forgotten...the elderly.

Thanks for making my wife feel old! J/k. She is a die hard fan of flip phones and she is 45.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for making my wife feel old! J/k. She is a die hard fan of flip phones and she is 45.

Any likeness to your wife that you detect from that post is purely perception! :p Truth is, I like flip phones too. They are just cool in so many ways. They're easier to hold, fit the face better, have full "Touchtone" keypads, and with the addition of a full-length outward-facing screen they're now no longer outdated. Also, as mountainbikermark pointed out, you get to slam them shut to end a call in a show of power or anger and the tactile feel and the loud "snap" sound reinforces your domination over the other party. Somehow, pressing the red End button on the screen just doesn't have the same appeal - and if you press it too hard in anger you risk cracking the screen! LOL!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
now a days so much of phones are introduced in the market like touch screen, Android application phone,. Android having some one special application that application is like all the people even babies also like this application. That special application is "TALKING TOM" . these are the special applications are available in android application phone. so only flip phones are dead?

I think I agree...don't I? :icon_eek: LOL!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, as mountainbikermark pointed out, you get to slam them shut to end a call in a show of power or anger and the tactile feel and the loud "snap" sound reinforces your domination over the other party. Somehow, pressing the red End button on the screen just doesn't have the same appeal - and if you press it too hard in anger you risk cracking the screen! LOL!
Actually it's not a power or domination thing for me. It a strength thing when dealing with my teenagers. True strength is power under control and pressing a touch screen just doesn't do the get myself under control, no matter how hard I tap it or how many times.
At least my Dare and Omnia were resistance touch so a good hard press was needed to hang up. Not the same as a slam shut but better than a capacitive feather touch.
Flip phones without a camera are the perfect work phone for those that work in secure locations and/or factories.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano