Are Droid and Droid 2 docks compatible?

Monshroud

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't seen it. I am thinking of picking up the Droid 2 and wanted to know if the Media Dock and Car Dock are the same as my original Droid?

Saoasa

Reaction score
Did you get an answer to your question?

I've been asking that question for days from Verizon and cant get anyone to give me a straight answer. They will tell you that the NEW D2 docking station that they are selling with work with the original droid because the NEW docking station comes with an insert to make the original fit in the NEW docking station. Additionally, they will tell you that the NEW docking station will accomidate the D2 in some hard shell cases. Implying that the NEW docking station is bigger. Frustrated that I have to wait for tommorrow to go to the store with my old docking station to try it on a live phone to answer this simple question.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
Purely a guess, but I would think the Media dock has a much better shot of working with the Droid2 than the Car dock does. The Droid 1 car dock fits pretty tight at the bottom and since they changed the "chin", I'm guessing the Droid 2 won't fit.

The Media dock doesn't lock around the chin, so as long as the phones are the same dimensions and the Micro-USB port is in the same place, I'd think it would fit.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it doesnt work then thats hilarious. (how to make money 101) You could always make your own. I made mine out of cardboard and painters tape.(plus weak magnet)

bandit82ta

Reaction score
a guy that supposedly works for Big V said that the media dock would work but not the car dock as the bottom on the new Droid 2 is wider then the dock due to the flaired bottom under the keys.

Roger Smith

Reaction score
The dock for Droid 2 will work with Droid 1, and Droid 1 dock will work with Droid 2.

In other words, they are backwards compatible.

ZPrime

Reaction score
^^ The DESK dock should be cross compatible.

The Car dock most definitely is NOT. The car dock from Droid 1 will NOT fit a D2.

However, if you (like me) are using a custom car mount instead of the suction cup thing... The D2 dock still has a ball-and-socket hookup identical to the D1. Hence, you should be able to continue using your custom mount setup with the D2 dock, you'll have to do the same as with the D1 car dock (take the ball & socket portion off of the rest of the supplied "Arm").

Also, the new D2 car dock should work with the D1, but the old D1 "Clip-in" car dock doesn't fit the D2.

Kamokazi

Reaction score
My bother has the original desk dock for the D1, I will drop by on my way home from work and check and see if it fits and let you guys know, because I am curious as well...will probably go with a 3rd party but want to make sure it will work with existing stuff.

What I am really curious about is the Proclip car mount for D1....been using that system through 2 Axims, TP1 and TP2 and couldn't be happier with them.

LT*

Reaction score
It doesn't fit. I just tried toput my wifes D2 in my D1 car dock. No go.

ZPrime

Reaction score
My car mount setup for D1 was a Proclip vent attachment, and then a Proclip "ball" that screwed to the attachment. This was originally meant for a Garmin Nuvi window mount, but it just so happened that the D1's dock fit OK on the same ball. I don't know if whatever Proclip sells specifically for the D1 will work on the D2, but I was just using the OEM D1 dock, castrated from the suction cup and attached to my Proclip setup.

The D2 has the same ball mount as the D1 dock did, so my hacked up (but very elegant and functional) solution should work fine with D2's dock.

I don't know what proclip sells "specific" for the Droid. The actual car dock holder piece from D1 will NOT work for sure though, I tried it for a laugh when I got in my car with the D2.

Kamokazi

Reaction score
I just confirmed the D2 fits perfectly in the original dock that launched with the D1.

The proclip mounts I am talking about are the 2-part mounts. The one that custom fit in the gaps in the dash panels, and a separate second part for the device that is also custom fit.