Apps Running When They Weren't Opened?

Bhinderoid

Reaction score
Hey guys, great forum! Thanks for all the tips and advice that members have been posting!!

I've been keeping track of the apps on my phone via Advanced Task Killer and after not using my phone over night I looked and noticed about 12 applications were running! My battery was down 20% and I hadn't been using it all night.

Does anyone know why these apps open by themselves and how I can get it to stop?

Bateluer

Reaction score
Hey guys, great forum! Thanks for all the tips and advice that members have been posting!!

I've been keeping track of the apps on my phone via Advanced Task Killer and after not using my phone over night I looked and noticed about 12 applications were running! My battery was down 20% and I hadn't been using it all night.

Does anyone know why these apps open by themselves and how I can get it to stop?

This has me curious as well. Periodically, I'll look at Task Killer and see Alarm Clock, Corporate Calendar, Email, and often a few others running when I never started them or used them. I have some alarms set, but I don't think it needs the application running 24/7 in order to go off at the preset times.

There's a sticky thread in here saying not to kill apps that are running, but I never use the corporate calendar, only the personal google calendar and the K9 Mail client.

OP
Bhinderoid

Bhinderoid

Reaction score
Why shouldn't we kill the apps that are running? If I'm not using them aren't they just draining battery unnecessarily?

Reaction score
i have the exact same apps running, maybe they need to reopen to make sure they have the right date and time so you dont miss an alarm? (total ignorant guess)

rlb

Reaction score
Just a guess but I'm assuming these apps open themselves for sync/reminder purposes. Add them to the ignore list (long press in ATK).

Download spare parts to see if they're pinning your battery (alarm clock, settings, and the calendar aren't, I've checked)

bigjohn

Reaction score
went to bed last night at 1, turned off wifi, sync, bluetooth, locked phone w/ power button.

woke up, battery completely drained.

plugged in, powered up and at least 10 apps are running. Battery Graph shows consistent usage and drain from 1-5 am, dropping about 10% every 20 minutes, slowing down at 15% battery. This is what i expect during heavy usage, not when everything is shut down and put to sleep.

neither Settings nor Spare Parts can provide useful info from pre-boot.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
some of these apps thats running in the background are required for the phone. so no matter how many times you use task manager, it will always be there.