Apps keep running in background

w0lfinator

Reaction score
Hey..Newby here, got my Droid on Friday and it is unreal...

I got a few questions but I feel if I look around they'll eventually get answered. The one I haven't seen answered though is that I constantly have apps running the background. I didn't open them or anything, but they just start running on their own. I run advanced task killer frequently to make sure i keep good battery life and every time i open it I have apps that I haven't even gone into running. They are usually pre loaded apps(so I am thinking it is something with the way they are loaded).

Also, Does anyone know of a way to remove pre loaded apps. Say I want to use handcent instead of the default messaging program. Can I remove the messaging app??

THANKS A TON for any help!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those that don't want to read through that thread, the main point is that the Android OS is built to run apps in the background without screwing things up. It can pull resources for memory as needed, so don't worry about constantly closing apps. You really only need to mess with killing apps when one of them is causing problems for the phone. If battery life is an issue, the task killer might help some as well.

stanwelks

Reaction score
I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

BBC News
Google Search
Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this?
Last.FM
Rosie Utility - what is this?
Touch Input - what is this?

Thanks.

JCo352

Reaction score
I am using the free Advanced Task killer app to stop apps and I come back to it and the apps are listed again with checkmarks next to them for me to end the tasks again. Anyone know why? It seems as if they keep coming back on? Some of these apps are ones that I am not even using and some I do not even know what they are:

BBC News Delete it if you don't want it running.
Google Search Nothing you can do there.
Google Search (Enhanced) - what is this? Same as above
Last.FM Delete it, like BBC news
Rosie Utility - what is this? You need this stop killing it
Touch Input - what is this?You need this also stop killing it

Thanks.

Task killers are ok as long as you're not killing the wrong things.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Advanced Task killer Delete the pos

Thanks.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Task killers are OK but just don't set them up to auto kill. If you need to kill an app now and then it's fine but your Incredible will know when to actually close those apps.

Besides they are not really running in the background they are sitting there open but inactive. They are not using battery, I assume that the Incredible has a battery use check on it correct? You can check that for confirmation.

stanwelks

Reaction score
What do you mean by that?

Thanks.

stanwelks

Reaction score
Thanks I will read it.

Advanced Task killer Delete the pos

Thanks.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

stanwelks

Reaction score
Reason that I wanted to do this was I was gone yesterday until 10pm and I was trying to save as much battery as possible. Apps like the BBC are constantly looking for news stories, I could change the update frequency, I just figured I would end the task along with others in one swoop.

Task killers are OK but just don't set them up to auto kill. If you need to kill an app now and then it's fine but your Incredible will know when to actually close those apps.

Besides they are not really running in the background they are sitting there open but inactive. They are not using battery, I assume that the Incredible has a battery use check on it correct? You can check that for confirmation.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Reason that I wanted to do this was I was gone yesterday until 10pm and I was trying to save as much battery as possible. Apps like the BBC are constantly looking for news stories, I could change the update frequency, I just figured I would end the task along with others in one swoop.

if that is your mission to save battery instead of killing the app go into the app and change its update interval to something longer or for you manually update when you want

bl42ed0

Reaction score
Killing apps is unnecessary. If you compare tasks that are "running" and what is using your battery (you can see from settings->about phone) apps that aren't being used doesn't use your battery. Think of it as MAC OS. Programs not currently in use don't use up memory, which in turn saves battery.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Darkseider

Reaction score
Killing apps is unnecessary. If you compare tasks that are "running" and what is using your battery (you can see from settings->about phone) apps that aren't being used doesn't use your battery. Think of it as MAC OS. Programs not currently in use don't use up memory, which in turn saves battery.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

"Think of it as MAC OS."

I just threw up a little in my mouth.