Applications 1.0 versus 2.0

souljerr

Reaction score
I'm new to using Android and the various applications. I've used smart phones in the past where applications developed for an earlier operating system weren't as snappy / had lag / screen issues when trying to use on the newer version.

Do we know how applications will work with Android 2.0?
Is there going to be an issue since they were developed with Android 1.0 in mind?
Will most of them be upgraded to take advantage of the 2.0?

Probably tough to answer all of these since I believe this is the first 2.0 phone on the market but what's the consensus?

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
I believe I read that a few random apps had trouble in the switch from Android 1.5 to 1.6, but they were corrected pretty quickly. Since the 2.0 SDK was released a while ago to developers, I would imagine that almost everything will be up to date by now.

romeov

Reaction score
Well, it depends what you mean by released "a while ago" :) The 2.0 SDK was released exactly six days ago:

Android 2.0, Release 1 IS OUT!

So it depends on how long it takes developers to update for a new version. Maybe 6 days is plenty, I'm not sure, but it seems awfully fast to me.

I'm worried that most all apps are going to look tiny and weird as so far in most reviews, not many have been updated to handle the Droid's massive resolution increase. That doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to change though, we'll see!

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
Well, it depends what you mean by released "a while ago" :) The 2.0 SDK was released exactly six days ago:

Android 2.0, Release 1 IS OUT!

So it depends on how long it takes developers to update for a new version. Maybe 6 days is plenty, I'm not sure, but it seems awfully fast to me.

I'm worried that most all apps are going to look tiny and weird as so far in most reviews, not many have been updated to handle the Droid's massive resolution increase. That doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to change though, we'll see!

Yep, my mistake. I read the date wrong when I was looking it, I guess.

romeov

Reaction score
No problem! Like I said, I can't imagine it's that hard to just change the max res of the app without a total rebuild, so who knows maybe a week is more than enough time. I don't know how long ti takes to get approved into the app store though.. or does it even? I'm too used to the long Apple App store approval times, maybe it's different