Apple Wants To Wait And Win With Motorola

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
motorola.jpg

Today Apple added a little twist to their battle against Motorola. According to the headlines, Apple wants the courts to hold off judgment in this case untill Google is done buying Motorola. They claim whenever this merger is over, Motorola will have no right to the lawsuits they are currently fighting Apple over.
Now some of you might not be aware of this, but Google gets control of Motorola's patents and that is essentially what Apple is banking on at this point.
Here is a quote from the original article:
Apple argues that prior to completion of the merger, it would be a prejudiced in any of the following two events:

1. If any of MMI's infringement claims succeeded:
    "Apple should not have to face the threat of an injunction based on the claims of a party that now has no standing to bring those claims."
    Its lawyers also argue that "Apple will be expending enormous resources litigating claims against a party that does not have standing".
  2. If Apple fended off MMI's infringement claims:
    "Apple should not be required to litigate this case only to reach a result that may well be overturned on appeal due to the absence of prudential standing."
    The term "prudential standing" means that a party has to meet, beyond the constitutional requirements for standing, certain additional criteria that the courts have established.
    Apple's second concern may also relate to a scenario in which it wins on one or more counts (and it's very unlikely that all 21 Apple patents-in-suit in those two cases would fail), in which case such a win will be of no value if the ruling can later be thrown out: "[W]ere Apple to prevail in this case, it risks an attack on its victory on appeal by a third party, whether Google or another Android smartphone manufacturer, contending that the judgment should be overturned due to a lack of prudential standing."

The court dates are set for next year, so we will have to wait and see what happens in the end.

Via: FossPatents
"Android prevails"

Last edited:

ambrown

Reaction score
If Apple could patent oxygen they would and charge a premium for breathing it.

I certainly hope they don't win anything in this case. They just feel threatened by the success of Android and were hoping to take down a major player. I get the reasons why they wanted to hold off till the Google/Moto deal goes through, I just hope Google doesn't put up with any "crapple".

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2.3 using the DroidForums app

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
"I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on."

rickerbilly

Reaction score
:icon_cussing:
motorola.jpg

Today Apple added a little twist to their battle against Motorola. According to the headlines, Apple wants the courts to hold off judgment in this case untill Google is done buying Motorola. They claim whenever this merger is over, Motorola will have no right to the lawsuits they are currently fighting Apple over.
Now some of you might not be aware of this, but Google gets control of Motorola's patents and that is essentially what Apple is banking on at this point.
Here is a quote from the original article:

The court dates are set for next year, so we will have to wait and see what happens in the end.

Via: FossPatents
"Android prevails"

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
Apple is a garbage company and if they can't compete they cry and sew. One of those types You wanted to beat up in school but knew the parents would stop at nothing to sew You for everything.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on."

So what you are saying is that Apple is delusional? And then you go on to say that they are making baseless claims and trying to tackle the competitor at the wrong time? And you continue on with the fact that apple should be arrested? Interesting points, OTR. hahahaha

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really think Apple is damaging their own reputation with all these lawsuits. I hope they keep it up so they keep coming across as whiny cry babies. Google and the Android juggernaut have them running scared and all they can do is throw around shady lawsuits. PATHETIC.

Tio Gardi

Reaction score
I understand wanting to protect their properties, but hearing about Apple suing over and over is getting ridiculous to me. There needs to be some middle ground met somewhere where innovation can still flourish.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dang it "no edit button"... one of these day's I'll learn to proof-read before hitting submit.... inferring****

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
dang it "no edit button"... one of these day's I'll learn to proof-read before hitting submit.... inferring****

Not having an edit button can be a real B*tch some times....

As far as Apple goes.... They have no true innovations and feel they need to cause issues for those that do. I'm all for competition in the market and the pretentious really do need some sheep inducing electronics gadgets BUT. COME on Apple!!! Really!? QQ more

aayoo

Reaction score
Honestly, what innovation has google brought to the table. The android OS was PURCHASED, no one at google created or developed it. Not to mention it was created infringing upon Microsoft and Oracle patents, so they have to pay for every device sold. Google services are it's biggest contribution to the platform with partnering companies and third-party developers also helping to bridge the gap. I've had a Droid 1, Droid X and absolutely hated the device as it was stock. Rooting is what kept my interest in android. As a stock device i've enjoyed my iphone far more than any of the android phones i've had. Apple's hardware is efficient as well, the upcoming A5 is a dual core processor, retina display looks great, and the camera may be the best on the market, not to mention the device is aesthetically appealing. You may not agree with the screen size and it may not be the device for you, but to say apple isn't innovating shows your bias.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus it should be noted this is NOT a new lawsuit, simply an update to a previous one. Most of these news posts make it seem like they are all new lawsuits when in reality nearly every one of them is just an updated presser on the lawsuits currently in process.