Apple Granted a Patent for Google-Glasses Like Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
insanity-apple.jpeg

Those videos from Google I/O 2012 of the Google Engineers sky-diving and rappelling while using their Project Glass Google Goggles were certainly thrilling weren't they? Those guys have been working hard for several years to perfect that technology, and it looks like wearable computers are definitely going to become a reality thanks to their dedication and teamwork. It takes real genius and talent to mold reality until your vision is manifested. Luckily, Google loves to innovate. They enjoy this process and sharing it. Consumers will get to benefit very soon from this pretty enticing new tech.

Oh wait... nope. It may never happen. At least not in the way we think.

Why? Because Apple owns the patent on the Google Goggles concept.

Yep. Feel free to re-read that sentence. They were just granted the patent for a head-mounted display device. And of course, as is typical of that fruity company, their patent is sufficiently vague enough to offer them broad coverage of just about any version that might come along. Here's a quick tidbit from it,

Methods and apparatus, including computer program products, implementing and using techniques for projecting a source image in a head-mounted display apparatus for a user. A first display projects an image viewable by a first eye of the user. A first peripheral light element is positioned to emit light of one or more colors in close proximity to the periphery of the first display. A receives data representing a source image, processes the data representing the source image to generate a first image for the first display and to generate a first set of peripheral conditioning signals for the first peripheral light element, directs the first image to the first display, and directs the first set of peripheral conditioning signals to the first peripheral light element. As a result, an enhanced viewing experience is created for the user.

Now, granted, they did apply for said patent back in 2006, so that's something, I guess. But, that doesn't mean that Apple is going to play fair with this one are they? When do they ever?

Never-mind the fact that they haven't really been developing a device like this, since filing the patent. No. It won't matter. They will likely lock Google Goggles up in litigation for months. Then, while that stalls out, they will rush to create their own version and claim they got there first. Yes, technically they did apply for the patent first, so that is true, but who was the real innovator here?

Admittedly, most of this is speculation as to what Apple may or may not do, but what does their track-record show?

When will this madness end?

Source: PhoneArena

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google does have some patents related to functionality of the Google Goggles, but from what we know about it, they don't have a broad patent on the entire concept, so it leaves things open for an attack from Apple at some point.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
For the love of the children PLEASE stop this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ck repeatedly throws himself into a wall and punctures a lung*

silverfang77

Reaction score
It seems like Apple and Google have two sets of rules to follow.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
For the love of the children PLEASE stop this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ck repeatedly throws himself into a wall and punctures a lung*

Quoted for emphasis.

combat_chuck

Reaction score
I guess I should go get a patent for anti gravity boots incase some invents them before I do

Jung136

Reaction score
i didnt know you can patent "concepts". heck then i'm going to patent a time machine, teleportation device, and lightcycles

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
There's more than one way to make Apple sauce! :furious: However, has Apple ever actually taken on Google directly? It seems that Apple picks and chooses their battles and prefers to take on the smaller guys. But if Google has already developed said technology wouldn't they also have similar patents already filed? This whole patent war is going to hit a real climax soon and it aint gonna be pretty. :serious:

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i didnt know you can patent "concepts". heck then i'm going to patent a time machine, teleportation device, and lightcycles

this is where I have the biggest problem with the system as it is now.
you don't have to show a prototype
you don't have to show a design schematic
you don't have to do anything at all

just say I want to patent this "idea"

go for it, think up any idea you want, no matter how stupid or ridiculous
and I bet you can get a patent for it, or find that it's already been patented

complete utter crap

the vagueness and openness is crippling

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not even going to comment about this, because I do not wish to make comments that could potentially leave me open for charges of making a criminal threat...........

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does this not make you want to hate Apple, if you don't already, and if you do - make you hate them even more? I mean whatever happened to wanting to be loved? Why would ANYONE who understands freedom and liberty even THINK of patronizing such modern day mafioso as these? I have never owned an Apple product (at least one that was branded Apple that I am aware of), and even if there was a chance that I might in the future, I will remain staunch against it simply on principle.

big al

Reaction score
Speaking of freedom & Liberty.... food for thought- Apple vs Google is very much like the Liberal vs Conservative ways of thinking. Apple like the Libs want to control your environment and how you work within it. Where as Google and conservatives prefer to leave the choice to the individuals

nikecar

Reaction score
big al said:
Speaking of freedom & Liberty.... food for thought- Apple vs Google is very much like the Liberal vs Conservative ways of thinking. Apple like the Libs want to control your environment and how you work within it. Where as Google and conservatives prefer to leave the choice to the individuals

<= proud Hispanic Republican. Go Google.