Apparently as telephones go the current best of breed all suck

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Checking reviews on Amazon and Verizon and other sites it seems that noone is all that thrilled with how the Nexus, Rezound and Razr perform as telephones. As portable, stick in your pocket computers, they're all highly rated.

My solution (and I'm open to better ideas) is to family plan my phones even though I'm single. My OG Droid with the phone number I've had for years and years now resides in my car so I'll have web access and GPS wherever I am. I've reactivated my old flip-phone (an LG VX-5300) and I'm forwarding calls from the Droid to the flip-phone so I have a great telephone and don't have to bug everyone with a phone number change - the old number still works.

Once I decide which of the latest batch of phones I like the best (and maybe wait for prices to drop a bit), I'll retire the Droid and put a Nexus/Rezound/Razr in it's place.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Rayv

Reaction score
I'm coming from an OG droid. I don't know if my old droid just had crappy sound and I was used to it that way, or if I happened to get a GN with better than normal sound, but I have been really impressed by the call quality on this thing. My husband even said I sounded WAY clearer than I did on my OG Droid. I think these reviews are SO subjective that it would be worth you checking them out for yourself. I haven't tried the razr or rezound, so all I can comment on is that I am very happy with the call quality on the nexus...which I REALLY wasn't expecting.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I have the RAZR and have had not issues with call quality. I even use mine with SYNC, and have clear calls on both ends.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
take reviews with a grain of salt. People are extremely critical. Go and get some hands on the Nexus. I just got mine a few days ago to retire my OGD. So glad I have the Nexus. my only one minor complaint is; the flimsy plastic battery door. Not a big deal as I don't plan on taking ot off often at all.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had a 2 hour conference call today on mine, no issues on either end. The people who are most vocal usually have the most negative things to say, online reviews are usually bad ways to judge something, give it a test yourself and you can bypass a lot of the problems that come with anonymous bashing.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I have had the OG for two years, the RAZR for a month and Nexus for 3 days now and never had any call quality issues with either one..

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with sound quality, in fact pleasantly surprised.

I really liked my GNEX yesterday, the 2nd day of full use. Today is my 3rd day, and I absolutely love it. The screen, the 4g speeds, the browser speed (which is ungodly faster), the functionality is just perfect. Everyone has their personal drawbacks (the flimsy cover is baffling to me. Who cares about the cover? It's so secure its not coming off and it feel absolutely fine to me), and the only glaring one is the camera and MAYBE the size (it's a big phone with a silicone case on it) but I can deal with it. As far as the phone itself goes, it's hands-down awesome.

OP
J

JohnnyDroid

Reaction score
Maybe the people posting negative reviews about call quality are in a bad area or got lemons. It's good to know so many people are happy with their new phones. Thanks for posting.

As far as the back cover and build quality in general goes, I like the GNex. After the heavy and kind of clunky OG Droid, the textured lightweight plastic on the GNex feels good in my hand. And the screen is gorgeous!

luckybadback

Reaction score
The issue with the back cover can be fixed by simply using a case, it will be a non issue.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Finally got off my OG and have a Nexus. As a moto fan, I got tired of the overrated promises from moto on unlocked bootloaders, etc.
But that's another book ...

I love this phone!

For someone coming from a modded OG, it is a fantastic upgrade in all respects, and the little things that need to be tweaked, or that I noticed have already been addressed.

You have to take reviews with a grain of salt, let's face it, the reason for my last sentence is because for most, it is true, you would be coming froma 2 year old OG or simeting similar. If you were coming from an existing 4G phone, the differences are not all that apparent, do you see what I mean?

The fun part of all this though, is our community, for what the manufacturers don't see as something that needs to be fixed, we have guys and gals out there that can and do provide a solution.

Everyone enjoy their GN'S!