App to waste data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yensed

Reaction score
Is there an app I can download which does nothing but wastes bandwidth? Strange question, I know. I am grandfathered into an Unlimited Data plan through Verizon. I usually use about 8GB a month (Sometimes more) just downloading podcasts, netflix, Pandora etc. I am curious to see how much data I can use in 24-Hours.

Thanks!

Edit~~ I'm not trying to just waste bandwidth for the heck of it. Though I do believe as I am paying for it, I can do with it whatever I want. My goal is to do a real-world test to see how much the average person can actually download if they utilize their 3g connection for 24-Hours. I can do it by math but with the speeds changing throughout the day I can't be very accurate.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why "unlimited" anything is never sustainable in the long run.

Rather than running the download for an entire 24 hours, you should extrapolate:
If your 3G download rate is a constant 1Mb/s, you will (theoretically) have downloaded about 10GB of data in 24 hours.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Last edited:

REMilk

Reaction score
Is there an app I can download which does nothing but wastes bandwidth? Strange question, I know. I am grandfathered into an Unlimited Data plan through Verizon. I usually use about 8GB a month (Sometimes more) just downloading podcasts, netflix, Pandora etc. I am curious to see how much data I can use in 24-Hours.:p

Thanks!

I have no problem with you usage of 8 GB+ a month. I see that you are making good use of it.

I object to your attempt to waste bandwidth for 24 hours, when you could calculate it the value in minutes as opposed to wasting bandwidth for 24 hours.

This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth.

I know that yensed and others will not like my post, but here it is anyway.

Respectfully submitted,
Bib

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well, to answer your question instead of spewing my opinion.

I can't say there is an app that just wastes data. But you couulllddd....set up a waste email account and sign up to a bunch of sites that send you spam every day. Then set up your email app to poll every 5 minutes. Use all your social widgets and have them poll constantly as well. On top of this use pandora at 'high' quality and stream music 24/7, while running a torrent app like aDownloader with 10 consecutive torrents downloading at once.

That should solve your problem. And probably get your bandwidth throttled withtin 3 days.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there an app I can download which does nothing but wastes bandwidth? Strange question, I know. I am grandfathered into an Unlimited Data plan through Verizon. I usually use about 8GB a month (Sometimes more) just downloading podcasts, netflix, Pandora etc. I am curious to see how much data I can use in 24-Hours.:p

Thanks!

Here's a living example of why we will not be grandfathered in much longer - Tiered data plans for all. Some people go through life and don't really accomplish much, but you can proudly point to having helped end "Unlimited Data".

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP should re-read the TOS he agreed to. This usage is not permitted and that's not a matter of opinion. As stated above, what the OP is asking can easily be calculated. Keep in mind that the top 5% are throttled.

REMilk

Reaction score

That should solve your problem. And probably get your bandwidth throttled withtin 3 days.

I did not spew any opinion. I stated the fact that "I object to your attempt to waste bandwidth for 24 hours,...." and an valid reasonable explanation "This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth."

If there was any opinion expressed it was positive "I have no problem with you usage of 8 GB+ a month. I see that you are making good use of it."

Bob

OP
Y

yensed

Reaction score
I Understand I can calculate it - and have! But I wanted a real-world Test. And if there was some type of app I could download to test which is also beneficial to the world (Such as Folding@Home) I would.

Here's a living example of why we will not be grandfathered in much longer - Tiered data plans for all. Some people go through life and don't really accomplish much, but you can proudly point to having helped end "Unlimited Data".
This shows a good reason why the carriers cap and throttle bandwidth.

Hahaha its so crazy to me when people are criticized for using the connection they pay for. No Cell service or ISP Needs to throttle or cap bandwidth. If their infrastructure is too weak to handle Usage then the company is in the wrong business and should just wither away and die. But the fact is its all for profits.

jonamurphy

Reaction score
If their infrastructure is too weak to handle Usage then the company is in the wrong business and should just wither away and die. But the fact is its all for profits.

No, if the infrastructure can't keep up because of clowns intentionally loading the system, they'll charge the rest of us to upgrade it.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I closed this because I saw it turning bad. The OP requested it to be reopened. So it's now open for those willing to help.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no app to do this, and purposely taxing the network is against the TOS.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think this should have remained closed bc personally, I like my unlimited data and prefer that it stay that way. It will not if people purposefully and unnecessarily waste bandwidth. This doesn't just affect the carrier, it ends up hurting us all bc the more that people do things like this, the sooner unlimited plans will be a thing of history. I assume that the more people are using bandwidth at one time off the same small, it weakens the signal for all...but I may be wrong.
Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
Y

yensed

Reaction score
Thank You for Re-Opening. I edited my original post to make it clear I'm not just bored and wanna hog some bandwidth to keep me company. Some type of large "Legal" torrent is a great idea but at some point my SD card is just going to fill up :-\.
No, if the infrastructure can't keep up because of clowns intentionally loading the system, they'll charge the rest of us to upgrade it.
Our money should already be going to upgrading. For a business to be sustainable it has to keep up with Supply and Demand. We are the Customers and its up to the carriers to supply us with what we are demanding. There is no Data shortage. Carriers simply make More money by stunning innovation and applying data caps. Forgive me if I don't treat a carrier any different then any other business on the planet.

I think this should have remained closed bc personally, I like my unlimited data and prefer that it stay that way. It will not if people purposefully and unnecessarily waste bandwidth. This doesn't just affect the carrier, it ends up hurting us all bc the more that people do things like this, the sooner unlimited plans will be a thing of history. I assume that the more people are using bandwidth at one time off the same small, it weakens the signal for all...but I may be wrong.
Unlimited data is Gone accept for people who are grandfathered-in or on Sprint. So it will stay that way for you unless you change your plan. And I think testing my own connections capability is perfectly legitimate use of bandwidth I am paying for.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
For now I'm grandfathered in but that doesn't mean that Verizon will allow us to always be grandfathered in. They can change that anytime they want and if they can't keep up with supply then that will happen sooner than later.

And a simple lesson in elementary economics... if demand is great, prices go up... doesn't matter what the businessis or product is... a company will charge what customers are willing to pay. Excessive demand or use is a good indicator that a company can charge more.

Another simple lesson in supply... every resource, product, service has a limit. It can be depleted, used up, difficult to maintain. There is not an infinite supply of anything. Doesn't matter if you're talking about people resources, food, gasoline, electricity... there is a limit to how much is available. Some things the limit seems endless, sometimes the limit is just around the corner. If people want to waste, then we reach the limit much quicker and either it's gone or we must pay a fortune bc it becomes a rare commodity.

Any way you look at it, you're unnecessarily taxing the system and if enough people want to do that then it ends up costing the consumer, not the business... usually the business loves it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.