App to send incoming calls to custom recorded message?

dast

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of an app that would allow me to send an incoming caller to a custom recorded message? I'm looking for something to let me do this natively on the phone, without involving voicemail.

I get a lot of calls while I'm in meetings and other inconvenient times, and it would be great to have a set of audio messages I could direct the caller to, depending on who it is (external customer, internal coworker, family) and what I'm doing (in a meeting, commuting, etc). Something like a set of buttons on the call answer screen that each tie to a custom mp3/ogg/wav file that would be played for the caller.

Anyone know of anything like this? Is it even possible on Android?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

scubieman

Reaction score
Yes google voice will do this. I do it and works GREAT!

Just real quick. Google voice does have the option to just but your voice mail service. Or it can give you a second phone number as well. It has a lot of options with google voice. Let me know if you got questions. As far as a app I don't think so due to the reason of your voice mail is verizon software located somewhere else not on your phone. You would have to change their software to customize which you can't.

dcook12

Reaction score
Yes google voice will do this. I do it and works GREAT!

Just real quick. Google voice does have the option to just but your voice mail service. Or it can give you a second phone number as well. It has a lot of options with google voice. Let me know if you got questions. As far as a app I don't think so due to the reason of your voice mail is verizon software located somewhere else not on your phone. You would have to change their software to customize which you can't.

Google voice can give separate messages for different people and even block them. Sounds like he is trying to make dynamic changes depending on what he is doing. I understand the question, but haven't seen anything that sophisticated yet. You would have to set up groups and constantly change voicemail answers several times a day depending on what you are doing. Would be a handy app though, but sounds pretty complicated.....

scubieman

Reaction score
Well just the voices is not too bad. If you have to record each time then yes. But if it's already recorded then it should amatter of 30 seconds or so to change the voice mail message.

harrellj

Reaction score
Potentially, maybe, you MIGHT be able to get something like this working by using a combination of Google Voice and Tasker. The big question (and I don't know the answer) is if Tasker will let you change GV settings.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something to let me do this natively on the phone, without involving voicemail.
GV isn't really native on the phone though, FWIW. However, it can do exactly what the OP is asking. Callers can be grouped and groups can each have their own custom greeting.

Potentially, maybe, you MIGHT be able to get something like this working by using a combination of Google Voice and Tasker. The big question (and I don't know the answer) is if Tasker will let you change GV settings.
There's a GV plugin that Tasker can use. I use it to change phone forwarding settings based on whether I'm at work or not. I'm not sure if it can toggle the Do Not Distburb feature off the top of my head, which is something that the OP would probably want to do if GV was in consideration as a solution -- either using calendar entries as the context or maybe toggled via a Tasker widget.

Last edited:
OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App