APP killers (i know its been discussed time and time again but..)

koralyne

Reaction score
Okay, so my friends have been the targets for my boasting about android and how awesome its going to be (because ive been hanging out here since im getting my droid soon) and i guess one of my friends finally broke, and went and got himself an android phone today. He got the Hero, and i immediately told him to get a few key apps, such as handcent, ringdroid, and the dolphin browser.

he also told me he was going to get an app killer, saying that it will keep his phone running smoothly, and to conserve battery life. I told him that android was optimized to NOT kill apps, but he said he did his research on it and said something about "booklet" (app maybe?). I have no idea what that means.

Anyways, I just wanted clarification on what exactly happens when you kill an app in android. Ive heard that it just makes the phone eat up cycles anyways because the OS boots up the app again whenever the app needs to do something or other. Like I said, I just wanna get my facts straight, so I dont look like an idiot when im arguing to him about android.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The argument goes both ways. There are those that feel that killing apps causes problems for the phone, and hurts battery life due to having to constantly re-open them.

There are those who feel the exact opposite and think they need an app killer to be happy.

I'm somewhere in between. While Android is smart enough to manage memory well even with a lot of apps open, it does not handle programs that are sucking CPU cycles as well. A program that is sucking CPU resources is going to slow down your phone. More often than not, when people see slowdowns, its due to this, not free memory. Not only that, CPU hogging programs int he background will hurt battery life big time. How many times have we heard stories of someone leaving their phone overnight with a full charge only to wake up to a nearly dead battery? Thats the reason you see those threads now and again.

So, while not needed, a task killer that is used correctly, and has a proper ignore list can, and will enhance performance, while complimenting battery life. I use mine maybe twice a day, and only when my phone is going to be idle for a long period, or apps I am using are hesitating/pausing on opening. I also have quite a few programs on ignore. Auto task killers are bad news. All of the naysayers can put that in their pipe and smoke it ;)

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Ive now read the sticky, but it doesnt explain, that if an app is doing something in the background, why you shouldnt use a app killer. Its a good argument pro task killer id say. I also said that a lot of people (such as people on these forums) didnt like it, yet hes saying that its ridiculously popular, and that defeats my argument o_O

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, while not needed, a task killer that is used correctly, and has a proper ignore list can, and will enhance performance, while complimenting battery life.
IMO that's a big if. A lot of people just aren't very good at troubleshooting as it requires a good ability to distinguish causal and coincidental relationships. I do, however, agree that a task killer can be beneficial if used properly.

FYI compliment != complement. ;-)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So, while not needed, a task killer that is used correctly, and has a proper ignore list can, and will enhance performance, while complimenting battery life.
IMO that's a big if. A lot of people just aren't very good at troubleshooting as it requires a good ability to distinguish causal and coincidental relationships. I do, however, agree that a task killer can be beneficial if used properly.

FYI compliment != complement. ;-)

Meh. I'm an engineer, not a linguist ;)

Anyway, I agree its a big IF, and IMO, thats part of the reason why Android still has some growing to do before its ready to tackle both the techy and non-techy crowd like the iPhone does.