hero slideboard vs swype

koralyne

Reaction score
So I got a text from a friend who's has the hero, and he said he got something called the hero slideboard. He said it was 'like swype, but without the suck' he said it was faster, more intuitive, and just plain better all around.

Now, methinks two things;

1) he's jealous about me having the droid and says anything I can't have is better,
Or
2)he's telling the (opinionated) truth.

Thing is, I've never seen him use swype on his phone, and afaik, he doesn't know anybody with another android phone.

Has anybody used this slideboard thing?

brochaos

Reaction score
i'm not sure about the hero, but i know they just announced that the new mytouch3gs were going to come with swype officially installed as the default keyboard. maybe it happened with the hero as well. it probably is better than the swype we have since ours is an incomplete beta.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Why don't you ask him how much time he has had to use Swype and also ask him why he thinks slideboard is better and more intuitive? I would love to hear his responses.

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Hmm... if its better than swype, I wonder why I've never heard of it...

He said I couldn't get it on the droid but maybe its possible to pull it from his phone

butch350

Reaction score
When I goggle the term "hero slideboard", all i get is a reference to this
page and no other mention of the Hero and its keyboard????
:icon_eek:

OP
koralyne

koralyne

Reaction score
Just talked to him a bit about it, and he got the name wrong.... but I forgot the name. Anyways, the keyboard it gives you is rediculously small (each key is as big as a vertical keyboard key) and a huge chunk of keyboard real estate is taken up by a reel with suggested words. All in all, I didn't like it. (That said, I don't like the virtual keyboard on the hero in the first place...)

warhawk

Reaction score
Not slideboard... SlydeBoard

If there's a keyboard called Slideboard, I haven't heard of it.

He may be referring to SlydeBoard.

It is nothing like Swype. I love Swype for natural language, though I'm still kind of crappy with punctuation, and occasionally, I communicate with humans that still believe in that sort of thing.

SlydeBoard is much better for scripting and terminal emulation though. It has none of that auto-completion stuff that is completely useless for remote sys-admin type stuff.

I have used SlydeBoard to write and update scripts. (mostly perl and csh) When my wife was sick, I finished a critical project from Disneyland while my kids were on Goofy's playground. It was awesome!

The buttons are huge. It types exactly what you enter, you never have to worry about it changing what you type, or taking your thumbs away from the keyboard to select the word you really intended.

It's actually a qwerty keyboard for your cel-phone designed to be touch-typed with your thumbs. It does take a little bit of practice to get used to the sliding, but not near as much as some of the other input methods out there!

Check it out at:

http://whawk640.robotdrone.com/Android