app blocks texting while driving

segen77

Reaction score
I saw on the news here in dallas last night that someone developed an app for the iphone that will block the ability to send or receive texts when moving more than 10 mph. I think this is a great idea, but I haven't seen anything like that on here. Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing I didn't like about the iphone app was the associated monthly cost.

sam5828

Reaction score
ya i have seen it but forget what it is called. it is in the market

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I saw on the news here in dallas last night that someone developed an app for the iphone that will block the ability to send or receive texts when moving more than 10 mph. I think this is a great idea, but I haven't seen anything like that on here. Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing I didn't like about the iphone app was the associated monthly cost.

I have a network engineer friend who developed some OBDII hacks for tuning his Honda with some specific drive-ability parameters that favor this scenario. Since it is OBDII it will work on any car since 1996. A company came to him to test their app a couple of months ago. They wanted him to set up a simulator that simulated 0 mph and 1 mph. They want to set it so you can only text at dead stop, not 10 mph. He wanted too much money, so they went away. Now they are calling him back. I guess we will see what happens

ShowTime

Reaction score
Or on a bus, train, cab, motorcycle sidecar, running really fast....

OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
i think the big purpose of this is to allow parents to install it on there kids phones to help protect them against texting and driving. sure it's not a perfect technology, but i think it's a great idea.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's as simple as turning off gps to 'bypass' this then I don't see it making much of an impact.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If it's as simple as turning off gps to 'bypass' this then I don't see it making much of an impact.

Agreed, but I think the purpous of this app would be more aimed at keeping honest people honest. If someone wants to text while driving, they won't download the app in the first place. I like the idea because I often will receive texts while driving, and it's generally the curiousity that gets the best of me. If I don't know that I have a new message, there won't be any temptation to check my phone.

mfolsom3

Reaction score
Droid Texting Apps

There is one out there called T-block. It seems to be angled at parents. A password can be required to disable it. I really like it. It allows you to set the speed and refresh rate of the gps.
This allows me to save my battery and prevent the app from making me miss calls on my bike rides.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Setting the speed for 1mph would also prevent texting while walking in your house....

But meh.... plenty of other, more distracting problems in cars than texting.....like kids in the back seat.

I agree, teen drivers lack the experience to text and drive...but parents can always take away a smartphone if junior is abusing the privaledge. Get him a flipphone fpr emergencies and you have successfully prevented junior for texting while driving. But parents dont want to take away a phone that they are locked into a two year contract with, so nanny apps are created to pretend to fill the void.

But whatever....i just wont download any antitexting app on my phone so i wont have to wprry about being blocked

Sent from my DROID X while driving.....thankyou tapatalk

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Id say thats more of an argument against smartcars..... but even that would be a strawman argument and just as invalid as saying texting. Based on emotion.

What if i agree to text while driving a f350 jacked up on 44s..... then id be safe. Even the guy in the big truck on the link wouldnt be "committing suicide" had he been texting as im sure he was just fine.

The only moral to that linked story is simply, if you want to text....be sure to be in a big vehicle

Sent from my DROID X while driving.....thankyou tapatalk