App to block purchase of apps?

mtgal

Reaction score
Is there an app that will block the download and purchase of apps? My three year old got into the phone while playing a game last night and started pushing buttons. She downloaded three apps and I HOPE they didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I'd like to get an app that would require a password to download an app that costs. Know of anything?
Thanks

Guchi

Reaction score
get her an ipod. lol. sorry i can't help....

BzB

Reaction score
i find it very odd that a three year old could purchase one app accidentally, much less three. it takes 4 or 5 presses just to purchase one app...

i guess you could try deleting your payment info from google checkout

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i find it very odd that a three year old could purchase one app accidentally, much less three. it takes 4 or 5 presses just to purchase one app...

i guess you could try deleting your payment info from google checkout

Yeah that's the only way I know of how to do it. Amazing what kids can do.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Lock your phone with a password or a lock design.

If you let a child play with an expensive device capable of doing expensive things, you'll get what you ask for.

Zargon

Reaction score
You have 24 hours to return the apps without getting charged.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
http://checkout.google.com/

You can go there and see if you have bought anything, you have 24hrs to uninstall/cancel and get a refund.

Beyond that, I don't know of an app to block this. There doesn't appear to be a setting on google's site. This phone is meant to be Maybe there is an app that password protects certain apps, so that you would need a password to open the market to begin with. But also to keep people out of your messages, and contact lists or whatever else you don't want people to see.

FuzzyBeard

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I thought I'd seen a "babysitting" app that turned on a colorful productivity screen to amuse children. Then to get out of it you needed to perform some sort of code.

OP
M

mtgal

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I've only had this phone for a few weeks and only downloaded free apps so far, so never gone through the process of purchasing one. Thanks for leading me to google.checkout.com it gave me a jumping off point to see if she had even checked out. She hadn't!! Yeah! So, all I had to do was uninstall the free apps she downloaded from the market. And, yeah, I learned my lesson... no more Barbie puzzle, only ToddlerLock for her.

Section8

Reaction score
I know this thread is way old but it still amazes me that Google has not corrected this oversight. My daughter is 3 1/2 and she regularly plays with my Xoom while we are in the car traveling. I have tons of apps on there for her. Some of them educational and some just for fun. The device is great at keeping her occupied and content while on long trips. The only thing that I could find to keep her from purchasing applications was to go to Google Checkout and delete all my Credit Card information. I did get an app that locks down other apps from launching without the proper PIN code and was able to add the Market application from being launched. Only issue I had after that was her hitting the adds inside the applications she uses. There is no way I know off to block those from then launching the market. Anyways I just deleted all my Credit Card information until they come up with a solution to this problem. Personally I don't think they see it as an issue and I doubt they will ever fix it. It is most likely providing a substantial amount of income for them. I mean you only have 15 minutes to return an app now so if a child does make a purchase your pretty much hosed as you don't find out that quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rickt1152

Reaction score
Check out App Protector Pro in the market, https://market.android.com/details?id=app-com.carrotapp.protectpronew

You can select any apps such as Market to prompt for a pin prior to running. It will prevent accidental downloading of apps.

I know this thread is way old but it still amazes me that Google has not corrected this oversight. My daughter is 3 1/2 and she regularly plays with my Xoom while we are in the car traveling. I have tons of apps on there for her. Some of them educational and some just for fun. The device is great at keeping her occupied and content while on long trips. The only thing that I could find to keep her from purchasing applications was to go to Google Checkout and delete all my Credit Card information. I did get an app that locks down other apps from launching without the proper PIN code and was able to add the Market application from being launched. Only issue I had after that was her hitting the adds inside the applications she uses. There is no way I know off to block those from then launching the market. Anyways I just deleted all my Credit Card information until they come up with a solution to this problem. Personally I don't think they see it as an issue and I doubt they will ever fix it. It is most likely providing a substantial amount of income for them. I mean you only have 15 minutes to return an app now so if a child does make a purchase your pretty much hosed as you don't find out that quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Section8

Reaction score
Check out App Protector Pro in the market, https://market.android.com/details?id=app-com.carrotapp.protectpronew

You can select any apps such as Market to prompt for a pin prior to running. It will prevent accidental downloading of apps.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Thanks maybe I will go grab the paid pro version. I use the free version now and it doesn't block the market from launching when launched from an add inside of another app. If the paid version does I will definitely go get it. My understanding was the only difference between the paid and free version was that the free only allowed you to protect up to 8 apps?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sidsixseven

Reaction score
Tasker. Locking Apps is one among hundreds of different things it can do

Sent via Tapatalk on my HTC Thunderbolt