Anyone worried about the 3 year old GPU, no sd-card slot, lack of removable battery?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I'm tired of seeing a new droid replace its predecessor every two months. The GN seems like best new enthusiast phone to me. I'm hoping it gets plenty of dev support, which I'm sure it will

Competition is good for us! We win in the end.

If its brought to every carrier it will have TONS of DEV support. It only being on verizon wouldnt be a good thing for us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The GNex does, in fact, have a removable battery. It has 32 gb internal storage, but no sdcard slot. as others have mentioned, the Nexus S did not have a sdcard, but is still easily hackable for custom recovery and roms. if it is a concern (and you don't like to use cloud storage), you can always get a connector cable/adapter and store all of your stuff on a flash drive - an "external" sdcard, if you will.

I too was concerned about it not having a removable SD card. I’ve found numerous posts by people with experience hacking and flashing devices without removable SD cards – including a few in this thread – that state it’s a not an issue of concern.

This may be a workable non-cloud external storage alternative (I’m hoping it’ll work w’ the GN):

[video=youtube;giJXF5pIITc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJXF5pIITc&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I too was concerned about it not having a removable SD card. I’ve found numerous posts by people with experience hacking and flashing devices without removable SD cards – including a few in this thread – that state it’s a not an issue of concern.

This may be a workable non-cloud external storage alternative (I’m hoping it’ll work w’ the GN):

[video=youtube;giJXF5pIITc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJXF5pIITc&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

This is exactly what I was going to try out when I got my G-Nex.

jerroedr

Reaction score
I was hyped about this phone. Now I'm a lil discouraged about the GPU....OG droid it is.
why? its still one of the strongest/fastest/most reliable gpu out to date isnt it? Its in the razr too? and many other phones?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the point is, the GPU is more than sufficient for all games that are currently available.

Is it possible that someone will develop a game that requires a better GPU in the future? Of course, but right now, I can play almost every game on my original Droid, that means there is nothing out there that's demanding a high end GPU.

Developers aren't making games that require high end GPU's OC'd to 500mhz, and for good reason, they want to sell the most amount of apps that they can.

The way you do that is by making the game playable on as many phones as possible, this makes the "old GPU" argument invalid.

If it's not needed, all it's doing is using more of your battery.

Tas

Reaction score
Which is an older gpu? The one on the Original Droid or the one on the G-Nex? I don't play too many games on my droid. The only games that give me a problem is Zynga poker which gets the phone super hot and kills the battery in about three seconds. And the other one is Stardunk. An awesome game but it gets hot and restarts the phone all on its own. I for one am not concerned about the gpu. I think G-Nex will have no problems with these games.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
We need one for the Razr to compare.

raistian77

Reaction score
I'm not a Samsung fan, but I hope it will be a great phone. I have a bad feeling that when it is released it will be trashed by the reviewers and deemed a failure like every phone has for a while now.

No phone will ever be good enough to please most of the users as I think we expect way to much out of these devices.

pdc419

Reaction score
I'm not a Samsung fan, but I hope it will be a great phone. I have a bad feeling that when it is released it will be trashed by the reviewers and deemed a failure like every phone has for a while now.

No phone will ever be good enough to please most of the users as I think we expect way to much out of these devices.

I think thats probably is what is going to happen. With the nexus i believe we are not only buying the phone but the software upgrades too. It will be the first phone to get updates. I just wish it had the same hardware as the htc rezound, or whatever its called. I just think, for myself anyway, after irooted my d1 and seen the possibilitiesthat a device i buy years later should be a million times better. I know the nexus will be much better, but probably not the huge leap that i think it should be in my mind. Thats probably why new phones get negative reviews. That plus all the hype carriers and forum members project.

combatmedic870

Reaction score

Well from that bench not to worried about hardware.....now.

To me there is ALOT to like about this phone.

SCREEN....its going to be beautiful, and HUGE but yet still the same size as the bionic(besides height).
ICS.....Thats going to be fun to play with for a couple of months. Plus all of its dual core know how goodness!
TONS of dev support. With out this, this phone wouldnt go anywhere.
Unlocked from the get go. Bring on the power saving gov's and OC/UV kernels. I expect 2.0ghz stable out of this phone and 20 hour battery life!!!!
World wide release.....EVEN MORE dev support! :icon_ lala: PLUS if they get it first, we probably wont even see any bugs. they will be fixed as soon as we get it due to EU feedback.

Google updates! First to get them, guaranteed to get jelly bean! :hail:

Whats not to like?

Last edited: