Anyone worried about the 3 year old GPU, no sd-card slot, lack of removable battery?

Reaction score
A few years ago 720p would have been a seemingly unattainable resolution for a cell phone. I think we'll see at least 1080 within the next couple of years. The ipad3 is expected to have a "retina display" and if they follow the trend of the iphone it will be double the pixles in each direction equating to a 2048x1536 display, and surly an android tablet will come out soon after boasting an equal or better display. With ICS tablets and phones will be sharing more technology so I would not think it was far fetched for things go well beyond the 1080 mark for phones much sooner than you might think. Can't the bionic already output a 1080p signal through the HDMI? If so that's still using the gpu, even if it's not the device's screen that its displayed on.

I think 1080p on a screen that is under 5 inches would be as good as any screen needs to be. 1080p output or higher would be nice but I guess that's the only thing that would affect the gpu requirements. Any external or 3D would be where a high end GPU would be required but until the display or harware controllers are capible of better resolutions or 3D is the standard then it would be a necessity. I do like to have the newest however and I am a bit let down about the old GPU. But without hardware that will require more im sure it will last my two year expectancy until I upgrade to my holographic, wireless charging, supercomputerphone.

alienware777

Reaction score
The whole no gorilla glass gets me... The reason I still love my droid so much is because no matter what I do to it it doesn't have a single scratch.

Reaction score
The whole no gorilla glass gets me... The reason I still love my droid so much is because no matter what I do to it it doesn't have a single scratch.

I was worried about this as well until I saw a drop test of the galaxy s2 vs the iphone 4s. Look it up on youtube and it might give you a little reassurance. It sure helped me feel better haha.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

doublea500

Reaction score
I was worried about this as well until I saw a drop test of the galaxy s2 vs the iphone 4s. Look it up on youtube and it might give you a little reassurance. It sure helped me feel better haha.

which has gorilla glass and which does not?

alienware777

Reaction score

Uh... how did that make you feel better? During the video (at least the one I saw) the 4s shattered near the end :icon_eek:. And anyways, even if the GN is drop resistant, it sure isn't scratch resistant. My OG droid has sat in my pocket for almost 2 years with coins, knives, pencils, etc, and never scratches. I have friends with other Samsung phones who have "fortified" glass, and their screens are completely scratched up.

which has gorilla glass and which does not?

The gs2 is gorilla glass, the 4s is "fortified" glass.

Reaction score
Uh... how did that make you feel better? During the video (at least the one I saw) the 4s shattered near the end :icon_eek:. And anyways, even if the GN is drop resistant, it sure isn't scratch resistant. My OG droid has sat in my pocket for almost 2 years with coins, knives, pencils, etc, and never scratches. I have friends with other Samsung phones who have "fortified" glass, and their screens are completely scratched up.

Ah I wasn't aware the gs2 had gorilla glass. I was hoping that being that it was made by samsung it would be using similar glass. My mistake. That bums me out.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still using a new fortified glass, I wouldn't worry.

$7 screen protector prevents all scratches.

jerroedr

Reaction score

i didnt think the gs2 was gorilla, but just fortified.

sxm

Reaction score
I think 1080p on a screen that is under 5 inches would be as good as any screen needs to be. 1080p output or higher would be nice but I guess that's the only thing that would affect the gpu requirements. Any external or 3D would be where a high end GPU would be required but until the display or harware controllers are capible of better resolutions or 3D is the standard then it would be a necessity. I do like to have the newest however and I am a bit let down about the old GPU. But without hardware that will require more im sure it will last my two year expectancy until I upgrade to my holographic, wireless charging, supercomputerphone.

Over here: Why the Galaxy Nexus uses OMAP instead of Exynos | ExtremeTech

It talks about: "The OMAP4 platform makes use of an additional hardware accelerator called IVA 3 that makes encoding and decoding HD video a snap. The Galaxy Nexus has an HD screen, so this hardware focus on video is a big plus."

I was worried about the old graphics too, but they kinda made up for it.

Felix 222

Reaction score
I'm tired of seeing a new droid replace its predecessor every two months. The GN seems like best new enthusiast phone to me. I'm hoping it gets plenty of dev support, which I'm sure it will