Anyone using Gentle Alarm app?

monkeygerm

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is using the gentle alarm app? Seems like exactly what i need to not be scared half to death by my alarm and wake up grumpy as hell. Does it work with the MM dock? Can I still set my scary alarm just in case i sleep through the gentle alarm?

prophetben

Reaction score
I was impressed enough with gentle alarm that I bought it tonight (the trial version has all the features except it won't alarm on wednesdays). I don't have a mm dock, but I don't see why it wouldn't work while it's on the doc. It just wouldn't be as intuitive to set as the built in alarm clock.

You can set Gentle alarm to have 2 alarms (a pre alarm which is very quiet and traditional alarm. You can set the traditional alarm to be any sound or playlist in your system. If you need more assurance you can always set the buil-in alarm for a few minutes later, I see no reason why they would interfere with each-other.

It's definitely worth getting the trial version and testing it out yourself (just not on wednesday). It sold me!

thundercats

Reaction score
You can also just connect the Droid to your computer via the USB cable and create a folder on the root of the SD card called alarms. From there, just add any sounds, mp3's, ringtones, etc.. to that directory and you can then pick that sound/file as your alarm sound in the standard alarm clock app.

reggin

Reaction score
You can also just connect the Droid to your computer via the USB cable and create a folder on the root of the SD card called alarms. From there, just add any sounds, mp3's, ringtones, etc.. to that directory and you can then pick that sound/file as your alarm sound in the standard alarm clock app.

Now these are the tips I'm looking for, thanks. I want to know more ways to do things like this but I just haven't found them yet. This is my first android phone, so I'm learning a great deal as I go. The guys who had the G1 have a huge advantage on the learning curve. The reason I didn't get the G1 was because I knew something better would come along real soon.

OP
M

monkeygerm

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to answer my own questions and put some more out there. It will work while in the dock, and you can still use the regular alarm function as a backup. Now my next question is does anyone know if you can set the pre alarm volume lower than five percent? It's still too loud for me.

silvere2

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to answer my own questions and put some more out there. It will work while in the dock, and you can still use the regular alarm function as a backup. Now my next question is does anyone know if you can set the pre alarm volume lower than five percent? It's still too loud for me.

I have the exact same problem...the pre-alarm at 5% wakes me up every time. I'm a really light sleeper...

For tonight I set it to vibrate only at 40% for the pre-alarm...I'll see if it works.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I got it. My phone lost it's internet connection for some reason, until I rebooted.

Anyway, I like this clock. But how do I get it out of Night mode?

OP
M

monkeygerm

Reaction score
That is weird. Worked fine for me too. My phone seems more responsive on 3g than wifi. Maybe that's the issue. As far as the pre alarm being too loud, the only other thing I can think of is to upload a ringtone or song that is quiet to begin with and see if that helps.

Last edited:

mitchb2

Reaction score
Okay, I really like the night mode of this clock. Except for the bright white illuminated buttons! Any way to turn these off?

lyam

Reaction score
Okay, I really like the night mode of this clock. Except for the bright white illuminated buttons! Any way to turn these off?

Not at the moment. I too am waiting for this. Here's what I do in the meantime: In settings, ensure "keep display on" is unchecked and "keep phone unlocked" is checked. Then when I've docked my phone, I turn the screen off with the lock button. If I need to check the time, I press the camera button. When I'm done, I turn the screen off with the lock button. Works well enough for now, but I'm hoping for a way to turn the led softbuttons off.

Also, I use Timeriffic to ensure my notification volume is all the way down.

acturbo

Reaction score

Not unless you are rooted, then you can download LED hack from the market to turn them off, otherwise I don't think it possible.

As far as the volume being too loud at 5%, try readjusting your master volume to a lower level, I believe that will also lower the lowest pre alarm volume. Go under settings and then 'volume calibration'.