Anyone see your Maxx sucking Data?

mackiv

Reaction score
if her pictures auto upload to her picasa/google photos account and she takes alot of pics it could be that as well. But even just clearing the cache on all google related apps will sometimes make them run better. my phone was juicing battery and data( even tho im still unlimited) and i cleared cache and all better.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Wow there are some drastic suggestions in this thread. Just go into settings > Data usage or install a data usage app from the play store.

I ran through a few gigs last month during my road trip. Dropbox auto-syncing was on. I used almost 10GB but I'm on unlimited.

*If you guys get a flat tire, do you replace the suspension??

OP
V

valglbgl

Reaction score
She used about 7 gigs last month and was on WiFi at home. She has complained about it using so much. Her phone is using 3-4 times the data the other two phones and using.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What does the data usage say is eating up data? Just google+?

doogald

Reaction score
Wow there are some drastic suggestions in this thread. Just go into settings > Data usage or install a data usage app from the play store.

I ran through a few gigs last month during my road trip. Dropbox auto-syncing was on. I used almost 10GB but I'm on unlimited.

*If you guys get a flat tire, do you replace the suspension??

Right, it was reported that settings / data usage said it was from Google+ (see post #4), which she doesn't want to use anyway, so it was suggested that she disable G+ or turn off data sync for G+. Not such bad suggestions, eh?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Right, it was reported that settings / data usage said it was from Google+ (see post #4), which she doesn't want to use anyway, so it was suggested that she disable G+ or turn off data sync for G+. Not such bad suggestions, eh?
Seriously? Dude Christ. Read up where they are suggesting factory resets.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Seriously? Dude Christ. Read up where they are suggesting factory resets.
Actually.. They aren't suggesting it.. I suggested finding the cause and dealing with it that way...And I also said that if the person wanted to do a fdr , it would wipe all of their data.. But it would reset the phone to like new working order and they wouldn't have to play a game of elimination..

Personally.. I always have an app like gsam on board.. That way I can use the app sucker function and deal with problem apps...

But while we're at it... They might prefer to boot into recovery and clear their cache.. But this isn't for the novice user... Even with step by step instructions.. They could accidentally wipe(fdr) the entire device..

There's many different skill levels of users on this site. There's developers.. There's people who've rooted and rom'd for years... And there's beginners... And any number of different variations of users, in between..

I try to keep that in mind when helping, or trying to help a member out...

Last edited:
OP
V

valglbgl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. She has been out of town so I haven't had a chance to try all if the suggestions.

jfriend33

Reaction score
So get this. Our new 16gb maxx has used almost 5 gigs of data this month. A line that barely hits 1.5gbs. I noticed it on our 6 month history.

There have been no system updates or any unusual habit changes.

I need to take a look at the phone and go to the data usage and see what's going on.

I thought it was new phone syndrome at first. You know where you come from a slightly slower or less capable device and play with it more but this is not the case.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So get this. Our new 16gb maxx has used almost 5 gigs of data this month. A line that barely hits 1.5gbs. I noticed it on our 6 month history.

There have been no system updates or any unusual habit changes.

I need to take a look at the phone and go to the data usage and see what's going on.

I thought it was new phone syndrome at first. You know where you come from a slightly slower or less capable device and play with it more but this is not the case.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
My first recommendation is to check and see if the Cloud or Google+ are backing up photos/videos. I have mine set to only do so when on wifi.