Anyone know of an app to dim the screen in dock mode??

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
What u guys are forgetting is the 2.1 is ripped from the nexus firmware...nexus doesn't have these buttons same reason keyboard won't light on 2.1...stop being impatient and wait for the real 2.1 update I'm sure all these issues will be resolved...I do agree that work needs to be done for dock its bright n I fear ima burn out my screen by using it every night

If the issue is a physical design that doesn't allow the screen to be lit independantly of the buttons then how can firmware change this? I have a feeling that this is the best it's going to get unfortunately due to a minor oversight on the equipment design team, aka Motorola.

Edit: I just though of something, the screen CAN be lit independantly of the buttons (I think) because a couple times now, with the keyboard open and screen lit up, the keys wouldn't light up in the dark... including the side buttons as I recall. I can't remember for sure so if someone can confirm or deny this it would tell us if the capability physically exists to light them independantly of each other.

dwclt

Reaction score
What u guys are forgetting is the 2.1 is ripped from the nexus firmware...nexus doesn't have these buttons same reason keyboard won't light on 2.1...stop being impatient and wait for the real 2.1 update I'm sure all these issues will be resolved...I do agree that work needs to be done for dock its bright n I fear ima burn out my screen by using it every night

If the issue is a physical design that doesn't allow the screen to be lit independantly of the buttons then how can firmware change this? I have a feeling that this is the best it's going to get unfortunately due to a minor oversight on the equipment design team, aka Motorola.

Edit: I just though of something, the screen CAN be lit independantly of the buttons (I think) because a couple times now, with the keyboard open and screen lit up, the keys wouldn't light up in the dark... including the side buttons as I recall. I can't remember for sure so if someone can confirm or deny this it would tell us if the capability physically exists to light them independantly of each other.
You are correct...I've seen this, so it can be done. I love the idea of the docking station, but its the worse design. Kind of makes you wonder if Motorola even tested this in a dark room!

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
To everyone following this... I HAVE THE FIX!!

Just update to the new clock from v2.1 then do the following mod as illustrated in the pictures below:

Keep going....

Ta-da!!!

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

Now, before everyone blows up my PM asking me how I was able to pull this off I'll let you in on the ingredients and tools needed:

Items needed:
Business card (or similar)
Scotch tape (not that crappy generic stuff either, it will never hold up to these conditions)

Tools required:
Scissors (don't run with them, may require adult supervision, do not perform intoxicated)

To complete this simply cut business card (or similar) to fit and tap to base. All done! :icon_ banana: :D

...Don't laugh, this will probably get my by until v2.1 officially drops so I can see if it will be actually fixed through firmware.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Haha that is great.

DockAwake! Dock Manager v1.7 Application for Android | Tools

That app looks to be able to do what you are looking for. I have it on my list of apps to try. It is kinda late and don't feel like messing with it tonight or I would give it a shot.

I read details on that app and it doesn't seem to allow for brightness adjustment. On a side note I am also on the lookout for an app that enables Bluetooth and GPS when placed in the car dock so I'll keep an eye on this one as it progresses.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Update for those tracking this thread. I have moved past prototype and am now onto beta testing of my latest solution for the bright lights that illuminate the entire bedroom at night when in bed mode even on the v2.1 clock. Some of you may remember my ground breaking prototype of a few posts back but now I give you.... the 'Light Blocker Thing-a-ma-jig v2.0' !!!

Feast your eyes on this:

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

While details of this latest version are highly classified for obvious reasons I will say that the primary material used rhymes with 'Electrical Tape'. :icon_ banana: This should hold up nicely for the next week or two until we find out if the full v2.1 upgrade for the Droid solves this issue or not.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
According to this post in another thread (Android Forums - View Single Post - The BIG 2.1 Thread), when 2.1 update officially comes to the Droid, there will be a dock app available (so you don't really need the multimedia dock, but putting the droid in the dock will still autolaunch the app). In addition, the four bright icon lights at the bottom (back, menu, home, search) will go out after the screen timeout period you have set in the phone's settings (but the screen will stay on in a very dim mode). Also, the clock will automatically go into a screen saver mode.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
According to this post in another thread (Android Forums - View Single Post - The BIG 2.1 Thread), when 2.1 update officially comes to the Droid, there will be a dock app available (so you don't really need the multimedia dock, but putting the droid in the dock will still autolaunch the app). In addition, the four bright icon lights at the bottom (back, menu, home, search) will go out after the screen timeout period you have set in the phone's settings (but the screen will stay on in a very dim mode). Also, the clock will automatically go into a screen saver mode.

There's already an app called DockRunner that will put the phone in dock mode even w/o a physical dock. It's been out for a while now so that part really has nothing to do w/the new v2.1 update. Just FYI.

M

Matth3w

Subscribing to see if a real solution comes out besides taping something over the buttons. When is 2.1 due to come out? Are you referring to 2.1 the system update from Moto or what? Sorry I'm a bit of a forum noob, and not sure if you were talking about a rooted update or just the regular.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
There's a problem with the droid OS that keeps the four button lights on when it senses a magnet in the official multimedia & car docks. The point of those magnets is so the phone would auto-launch either the mulmedia dock program or the car home program, depending on the location of the magnet.

I tried the Bedside app last night, and when the phone is plugged directly to the charger the lights go dim after the screen timout period (I have mine set to the default 1 minute). However, the lights stay on if the phone is in the dock.

The link I included in my previous post indicates that the dock app that will come with the official 2.1 update will dim the buttons, but I don't know if it will do so when the phone is in the dock (I hope so).

M

Matth3w

There's a problem with the droid OS that keeps the four button lights on when it senses a magnet in the official multimedia & car docks. The point of those magnets is so the phone would auto-launch either the mulmedia dock program or the car home program, depending on the location of the magnet.

I tried the Bedside app last night, and when the phone is plugged directly to the charger the lights go dim after the screen timout period (I have mine set to the default 1 minute). However, the lights stay on if the phone is in the dock.

The link I included in my previous post indicates that the dock app that will come with the official 2.1 update will dim the buttons, but I don't know if it will do so when the phone is in the dock (I hope so).
That's what's keeping me from buying the dock so I guess I'll just have to wait.

If the phone is plugged in but not in the dock, the phone lights will dim and the easy access lights will shut off?

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up to those following this thread: Before I could ever go into massive production of my 'Light Blocker Thing-a-ma-jig v2.0' (hopefully you all read the sarcasm in this by the way) I found out that you can disable those lights w/o my wonderful little invention. Simply power the phone off before placing on the dock. Once it's powered off place it on the dock and let the power connection cycle the phone back on by itself. Then set your alarm and dim your screen and you're all set. Tested it out last night and it stayed off all night. I guess the one caveat is that if you then go to the home screen they will stay on and a power cycle is required once again to disable them. Enjoy.

BartJJ

Reaction score
hey jer if youll search the forum you can find a guide on how to build a dock outta some old legos and that works great :) save you $60 if you can still return i saw it mentioned and built my own and it works great with some old dell speakers i got tucked away under my nightstand its just amazing :)

edit: forgot to mention that you dont need the magnets to engage it there is a free apk on the market called dockrunner that will engage it for you :)

Last edited:
OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
hey jer if youll search the forum you can find a guide on how to build a dock outta some old legos and that works great :) save you $60 if you can still return i saw it mentioned and built my own and it works great with some old dell speakers i got tucked away under my nightstand its just amazing :)

edit: forgot to mention that you dont need the magnets to engage it there is a free apk on the market called dockrunner that will engage it for you :)

Had DockRunner for a couple months now and am going to stick with the Dock because it doesn't look like I built it out of Legos. If you don't mind that look then go right ahead but I like the clean look of the OEM dock.

M

Matth3w

Had DockRunner for a couple months now and am going to stick with the Dock because it doesn't look like I built it out of Legos. If you don't mind that look then go right ahead but I like the clean look of the OEM dock.
Not to be a dick, but you're ok with taping a piece of paper to the phone/dock but not having it built outta legos? :icon_eek:

Anyhow, what's the name of the app you guys are using on the Market, I don't see it?