Anyone know of an app to dim the screen in dock mode??

Jer

Reaction score
I searched the market but wasn't able to find anything.

I know there's the light button that goes from regular to dim but even the dim mode is WAY too bright and lights up the whole room. My wife said tonight that she woke up at 4:00am and wasn't able to get back to sleep because it was bright as day in the room due to my phone. She has a Droid and a dock too but doesn't use it for the same reason. I feel like we're going to be out $60 worth of docks if we just hit the lock button to shut off the screen. So, I don't need anything fancy, just the ability to cut the brightness down by about half or even a variable brightness adjustment for the dock mode would be great and free would be even better.

Thanks for the help.

cb2000a

Reaction score
I have talked to a Moto rep about this and they are aware of the brightness issue in dockmode.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I have talked to a Moto rep about this and they are aware of the brightness issue in dockmode.

Well, don't take this personal but a Motorola rep being 'aware' of it doesn't help me or my wife much. I need a fix and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

Reaction score
There are actually 2 problems. 1) the main screen stays backlit, instead of only the numbers themselves being lit. 2) the side icons also stay lit. I think if ONLY the numbers were dimly lit, then it would be acceptable just like a standard LCD/LED alarm clock.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
I've got the 2.1 clock, and the brightness is WAY WAY WAY dimmer than before. I wear glasses and have to lean to within a foot of the new clock in the middle of the night to see the time.. It's very dim, but that may be a function of my eyesight rather than the clock.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I've got the 2.1 clock, and the brightness is WAY WAY WAY dimmer than before. I wear glasses and have to lean to within a foot of the new clock in the middle of the night to see the time.. It's very dim, but that may be a function of my eyesight rather than the clock.

Did you root your Droid and go 2.1 or did you install the 2.1 clock like I've seen people talk about upgrading to various aspects of v2.1 like the gallery and home screens? Can the v2.1 clock be updated to w/o rooting? If so I'll do so now and try it out tonight. Otherwise I'm boxing my dock back up and will wait for the 2.1 OTA to see how this works. That's some good news either way because if there was no possible solution I was just going to sell my docls.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY no rooting here. I installed the clock from the link on this forum. I'm not BRAVE enough to root this phone. Although I'm an early adopter geek, I'm not a programmer at heart.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY no rooting here. I installed the clock from the link on this forum. I'm not BRAVE enough to root this phone. Although I'm an early adopter geek, I'm not a programmer at heart.

Do you have the exact link you used handy?

alm0614

Reaction score
do you just install that .apk or is there anything else involved, i.e root access needed?

Silver Member
Reaction score
the brightness settings in dock mode are controlled by the settings you have set in your settings (if that makes sense). check my sig for further details.

this drove me nuts at work for the longest time. after 2.0.1, my dock mode was considerably dimmer than normal use and it bothered me. once i found the solution, i was good to go.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
That will solve your problem, I use my Droid as my alarm too. and I agree the 2.0 alarm clock mode was way to bright even on dim setting. You'll be happy with the new clock.

Last edited:
OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Ok, installed the v2.1 clock and my problem is solved... almost. For some unknown reason the four quick access buttons remain lit, even on the dimmest setting (dim+hold for green clock) which is baffling. They're super bright in an otherwise blacked out room and I don't even understand when you would want them lit up to use. It's much more dim than the previous clock yet still not ideal for our needs. If the four lights would turn off I think it would be though.