Anyone have APPS2SD running and working?

luvdldy

Reaction score
I am trying to get this up and running for the first time on ANY ROM! Since I am using Sapphire, I tried to do the partition via ROM Manager and got nothing!!! Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get APPS2SD working on this ROM or any other for that matter?

Thanks in advance

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
apps2sd is now built into froyo, it doesn't work on all apps, as it has to also be built into the app itself and we can't control that.

to test out if apps2sd is working download google skymap, it should install directly to sd and move back and forth when you push the button to do so.

at least thats the way it works for me...

jfourman

Reaction score
I am trying to get this up and running for the first time on ANY ROM! Since I am using Sapphire, I tried to do the partition via ROM Manager and got nothing!!! Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get APPS2SD working on this ROM or any other for that matter?

Thanks in advance

If you have a Froyo ROM installed, you can install apps to your SDCard. If you are rooted, try to change this setting as follows (credit to another poster):

go to a terminal emulator and enter
su (enter)
pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)
It will do nothing just exit.
U can now move most apps to sd card under settings.manage apps. Move to sd card!
May be issues like widget doesn't load. So try it and discuss!
Must be running froyo, must be rooted, follow command exactly.
Update*
After playing with it for a few hours I suggest only changing apps that are standalone such as games.
Leave the home replacements, active task killers, widgets or anything running in the backround.
After a reboot it may look like ur apps are gone. Just give them time to load from the sd card.

Don't move apps with widgets to the SDCard. All apps will now install to the SDCard. You can move them back to the phone in the Application Manager.

I have over half of my apps running from the SDCard and see no difference in performance. My only issue is that I use ADW Launcher and it takes a little while after a reboot for the apps to show in the drawer.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use the instructions just posted and works well, like said widget driven items need to stay internal until devs catch up.
I use it just due to limited room on internal..

PJnc284

Reaction score
yeah, it's more of a pain than anything at this point to force apps to the SD card since widgets stop working and you lose your shortcuts on your home screen an app drawer on reboot with 3rd party launchers. You can restart the launcher and it'll fix the shortcut/app drawer problem but it's annoying. It's fine for large games and such but not really worth it for the others.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Thanks jfourman! I knew there had to be a script for this, I never move apps with widgets on other Rom's but like to free up room on apps that run perfectly fine off of the SD card.

RevivaL

Reaction score

Thanks in advance

If you have a Froyo ROM installed, you can install apps to your SDCard. If you are rooted, try to change this setting as follows (credit to another poster):

go to a terminal emulator and enter
su (enter)
pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)
It will do nothing just exit.
U can now move most apps to sd card under settings.manage apps. Move to sd card!
May be issues like widget doesn't load. So try it and discuss!
Must be running froyo, must be rooted, follow command exactly.
Update*
After playing with it for a few hours I suggest only changing apps that are standalone such as games.
Leave the home replacements, active task killers, widgets or anything running in the backround.
After a reboot it may look like ur apps are gone. Just give them time to load from the sd card.

Don't move apps with widgets to the SDCard. All apps will now install to the SDCard. You can move them back to the phone in the Application Manager.

I have over half of my apps running from the SDCard and see no difference in performance. My only issue is that I use ADW Launcher and it takes a little while after a reboot for the apps to show in the drawer.
this is exactly what i did too.

in terminal, go to preferences then set your initial command line so it looks like this

export PATH=/data/local/bin:
$PATH
bash
su

then, go into terminal and type this, minus the quotes "pm setInstallLocation 2" , then enter. nothings going to happen, but you'll be able to move all your apps to the sd card from the manage apps. I've been using this, works like a charm.

chewy74

Reaction score
anyone one know where the apps are stored when apps2sd are enabled and installing to the sd card?