Anyone else not like swype?

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I don't get what the big deal about it is?

I mean you have to trace your words to type.... how is that easier or faster than just typing them out?

Am I missing something?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I can't use swype for the life of me. It actually slows me down. Do NOT like it at all.

motoconvert

Reaction score
I agree...don't get the deal...9 time out of 10 you have to go back and fix a misspelled word anyway...

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to love swype, but I think I like swiftkey a lot better. I still use swype on Occasion though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yiannis

Reaction score
I agree, actually the handsets are perfectly sized for two thumb-typing, I wish the application of my D1's processor was as fast as my thumbs.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
In another thread, it was reported that enabling Swype on the virtual keyboard fixed the problem of backwards shifting symbols on the real keyboard. (D2?) Fr'instance, if you type "It costs $5", it woud come out "It costs$ 5" and the only way to get it right would be to arrow back and delete a space, and add a space. Did it with most (but not all) symbols. So if you never use the virtual keyboards, enabling Swype could help keep the symbols where you typed them. Testing now to see if having Swype enabled also solves the problem of texting jibberish when using auto-suggested contractions (can't, what's, etc.).

Snow02

Reaction score
If you don't like swype (or other swype-like input), it's probably because you can't type worth a damn to begin with.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I can swype faster than just typing and mostly use it. But I think SwiftKey is easier to use with its word prediction.

Beka27

Reaction score
With the "look and press" method, sending a text feels "choppy" to me. In my experience, once I got good at Swype, I could do it mindlessly because I already had the keyboard memorized. Plus, I have my settings where I can barely hit the letter, and 95% of the time, it gets my word (very high error tolerance).

Like with anything, there are people who are adamant against it, and others who couldn't live without it.

djj624

Reaction score
How can I get swype for my og droid?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone else not like swype?
Plenty of people don't. I personally prefer it. YMMV.

I mean you have to trace your words to type.... how is that easier or faster than just typing them out?
For some people it is, for others it isn't.

Drawing broad conclusions like you have based on your particular preferences are fairly pointless. Just because you don't get something doesn't mean that there's no reason that others wouldn't use it. I'm not sure why that seems to be such a novel concept to so many people.

Am I missing something?
Only that people have their own preferences that might or might not be in line with your own. if you've tried it and don't like it you haven't missed anything. If you're prejudging it without trying it then you're missing everything.

9 time out of 10 you have to go back and fix a misspelled word anyway...
You might. I don't. Be careful with your word choice. You're projecting your preferences.

If you don't like swype (or other swype-like input), it's probably because you can't type worth a damn to begin with.
Or you just don't like it. Swyping and typing aren't the same thing. You'd have a point if you meant that the person who didn't like Swype didn't know the qwerty layout which would make Swyping difficult.

Last edited:

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I haven't used Swipe enough to be good at it. I used the tutorial and thought it was cool but it would take practice. I may give it another try later. It is definately different.