anyone else exp. probs with google latitude?

meberhardt28

Reaction score
My wife and I just upgraded to Verizon Motorola Droid. We love the GPS Google map program and we joined the Google latitude and have each other listed as friend so we can see each others location. It works great showing our own location but it always shoes the other one of us in the wrong location. Tried pulling each battery off rebooting phones but didn't fix. Verizon store recommended trying this forum and also emailing Google. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas? I like Google latitude idea and that it's free..

J*Bishop

Reaction score
the wife and i have been using latitude for quite some time now. had it on our blackberrys. it has always been somewhat off. at times it has be very accurate for my location but never for other people on your list.

joker920

Reaction score
Same with me. The location isn't always 100% accurate. Sometimes it is is up to 1/8 of a mile off, other times it is dead on.

While we are on the subject, I'm going to sneak my question in here.

In regards to Lattitude; how often does it refresh your status to and from your friends and can you modify that time either more or less frequently?

MattPyle

Reaction score
The GPS doesn't work so well in a house or anything like that. So...it usually shows your location as the nearest cell antenna. If you have wifi in your house, turn the wifi on on the phones and get them to connect and it should show each others location much more accurate. That or go stand outside and check.

will.anaya

Reaction score
My wife and I just upgraded to Verizon Motorola Droid. We love the GPS Google map program and we joined the Google latitude and have each other listed as friend so we can see each others location. It works great showing our own location but it always shoes the other one of us in the wrong location. Tried pulling each battery off rebooting phones but didn't fix. Verizon store recommended trying this forum and also emailing Google. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas? I like Google latitude idea and that it's free..

sorry, but did you activate the ""use wireless networks" option, just above the "use gps saellites"?

i have found if i have both activated, my location is pinpointed within 10 to 15 meters.

plus, try this, courtesy of CorvetteAustin24:

HOW TO: Calibrate your GPS for Google Maps for more accurate location
Some people have issues with GPS accuracy, such as showing your location 1000 feet or further away from your actual location, and this can be resolved by following these steps.

1. Download GPS Status from the market (it's free).

2. Make sure your GPS is turned on and open GPS Status.

3. Go to a location where you don't have magnetic devices around you (like electronics of any sort), such as outside (ideal) or room with minimal electronics nearby.

4. Hold your phone in your hand flat. Spin it around 3 times. After that, hold your phone on it's side, spin it around 3 times again. Finally, put your phone right side up (end on end) and spin it 3 more times. You can also do figure 8's, but the spins worked for me.

5. Go to Google Maps and see if your location is closer.

perryinfl

Reaction score
I am having the same problem!

It seems my Latitude may be a little more off than yours even! Mine keeps showing me several MILES from home... on a daily basis, always in the same two locations, despite whether I have GPS Assist ON or OFF, despite whether I calibrate it my GPS several times a day.... no matter what I do, my latitude History keeps showing me going back and forth between my home, a ballpark up the street, and a third location off the side of a road that I have never even been to! And all this despite all my efforts, calibrations, and fixes!:blink:
If anyone knows why these discrepancies exist, please advise!
And good luck with your similar problem as well!
Be groovy,
Perry in FL
:icon_ lala:

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I live in a low signal area and have downloaded every app in the Market trying to find the tower that my phone works from, so that I can aim my directional antenna for my in home Wilson booster/amplifier toward the right tower. You would think this would be an easy task, but no, it is not.

Every app I use shows that my phone is connected to a certain tower, but when I get in my car and drive to it my signal strength is not much better than at home. I go to another tower a mile or so away and my signal is in the -67 dbm area which means full bars and fast browsing. I aimed my antenna at that one.

The point is, I bet Latitude is showing the location of the tower that your phone "thinks" it is communicating with. I have decided that my tower must be a relay to the tower that puts out the power. When I use latitude with out the GPS on and connected, it shows my location as at the "relay" tower.

perryinjax

Reaction score
I live in a low signal area and have downloaded every app in the Market trying to find the tower that my phone works from, so that I can aim my directional antenna for my in home Wilson booster/amplifier toward the right tower. You would think this would be an easy task, but no, it is not.

Every app I use shows that my phone is connected to a certain tower, but when I get in my car and drive to it my signal strength is not much better than at home. I go to another tower a mile or so away and my signal is in the -67 dbm area which means full bars and fast browsing. I aimed my antenna at that one.

The point is, I bet Latitude is showing the location of the tower that your phone "thinks" it is communicating with. I have decided that my tower must be a relay to the tower that puts out the power. When I use latitude with out the GPS on and connected, it shows my location as at the "relay" tower.

Thanks for the insight/info chrstdvd. Sounds like a good analysis and good info :)

valentine3163

Reaction score
Google Latitude shows several miles away from where it is...

We have the same problem. Our phone shows the location several miles from where it is supposed to be. This can cause a lot of trouble if you have told someone where you are going but then latitude shows you at a different address. I certainly wish they would fix this because its a huge problem.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I've been using an app called Backitude. The description in the market (I couldn't explain it better) "Control Google Latitude with gps accuracy & battery efficiency at your own rate. Backitude provides gps and network location updates for your Google Latitude and Google Location History accounts seamlessly in the background of your Android 2.2+ device! The application integrates with Google Latitude and expands your updating and accuracy options, and allows you and your friends to force updates on eachother when an up-to-date current location is really needed."

It works well for me, and my boyfriend started using it on his phone and I've definitely noticed it keeps track better and is more consistent about the updates.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gaugler.backitude&hl=en