Anyone considering the Droid 2 now?

northpen

Reaction score
Curious if anyone is debating between the Droid 2 and the Droid X now that there is a little more info about the Droid 2.

I am AT&T iPhone user but I am making the switch to the Verizon. I haven't used either Droid so I'll know more after I play around with them. But, I was wondering if there is anything in the Droid 2 that might make some of you wait til August to decide?

hendrix

Reaction score
It won't. I highly doubt any phone that motorola releases from the Sholes forwarward will have an unlocked boot loader. The original droid was the exception not the rule.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my Droid1 right now. I mean, usually I want a new gaget every month, but this Moto has me impressed each day. I plan on waiting till there is a really nice phone out for the Gingerbread (since Droid1 won't be seeing that version).

I really want new fast chip like 2Ghz phone, must have a qwerty like the Droid, and hdmi output... I plan on waiting till the end of the year...

h_10

Reaction score
no more moto phones for me. i like root too much to go back to stock unrooted roms. moto lost me as customer. shame because i really like the droid. but when i upgrade, i'll be getting a phone that is not purposely loaded to thwart rooting.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Plain and simple. No root and encrypted bootloader + Efuse = no more Motorola, EVER. I will support whatever company offers me the ability to truly own my device and not just give me the right to use it as THEY see fit. If I wanted that I would have bought an iPhone. HTC, Samsung, LG, Acer, etc... There are plenty of other handset manufacturers out there besides Motorola that make excellent quality devices that you can truly own and not just pay rent on.

ext

Reaction score
Root and Custom ROMs are completely separate beasts - people need to understand the difference as people use these interchangeably when in fact they are not. Granted you need root first before you can load ROMs - but the idea of root and ROMs are separate.

Root means you gain SU (Super User or Administrator) rights to your Android OS and can run custom software, and do things the stock OS can't

Encrypted Bootloader (Locked with eFuse apparently) prevents unauthorized ROMs installed onto the device. That only will affect those users who wish to use the Android OS source and create their own ROMs adding or removing features.

Not having custom ROMs isn't horrible, just means that you have to add features and software after the fact instead of just flashing a new ROM to the device. Even the Milestone got rooted, but still lacks the ability to load custom ROMs.

I just want root so the HDMI port can be utilized for something other than just displaying pics and movies - a whole screen output would be nice.

-Ext

magikmarkur

Reaction score
It won't. I highly doubt any phone that motorola releases from the Sholes forwarward will have an unlocked boot loader. The original droid was the exception not the rule.

I agree with hendrix. Motorola has been explicit in saying that the Droid was a corporate decision to not lock, but their goal is to make sure that non-Motorola images are not on their devices.

Read further here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...moto-explains-why-they-locked-bootloader.html

OP
N

northpen

Reaction score
Ha this is a bit different coming from at&t. I'm using to waiting a year or two before a decent phone to come out and now the options on verizon are almost too much.

I'm almost thinking about just buy a used Droid 1 and going month to month on verizon (if possible). That way I could wait and see what phones come out and what phones get rooted by the end of the year. Then do a 1 year contract and get a good price on a phone.

OP
N

northpen

Reaction score
Actually, might be better to buy the Droid X on contract, sell it on Ebay and then use the money for a Droid 1 and wait and see the rest of the year. Crippled by choices lol

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Absolutely not. I'm buying the Droid X tomorrow, but only because I'm too anxious to wait for the Galaxy S. This will certainly be my last Motorola phone ever, though, unless they lighten up on the root and bootloader angles in the future. Even then, I'll still look to other options first like HTC.

magikmarkur

Reaction score
Ha this is a bit different coming from at&t. I'm using to waiting a year or two before a decent phone to come out and now the options on verizon are almost too much.

I'm almost thinking about just buy a used Droid 1 and going month to month on verizon (if possible). That way I could wait and see what phones come out and what phones get rooted by the end of the year. Then do a 1 year contract and get a good price on a phone.

That sounds like a plan, if VZW can keep out with demand this time. Customers are still waiting for the Incredible. ITS BEEN MONTHS!!! :eek:

ctxx24

Reaction score
Could care less about any of that crap....yall crack me up im not buying a phone cause i cant root it lol

Darkseider

Reaction score
Could care less about any of that crap....yall crack me up im not buying a phone cause i cant root it lol

What is so funny about that stance? Not spending money on something you can't own and do with as you see fit? How about I charge you $150 per month for unlimited bandwith to the internet but then stipulate you can only go online from the 3:30am to 3:45am your local time? Would that make you laugh or would you not purchase my internet service in favor of one that allows you to go online whenever YOU want but only offers 20 mbps down speed for the same price?