Any wisdome to signing a 1 year contract instead of a 2

mflynn

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm contemplating moving from AT&T and going to Verizon and getting the Droid X. One question (out of many :) ) is this. Does it makes sense to pay more $$ for the phone and sign a single year contract as opposed to two.

I suppose this may make sense if you're not sure if you'll be on verizon for very long but I'm thinking that it will alter the upgrade date for a phone (it may not). I just want to know all of my options and which makes the most sense.

Lucas5

Reaction score
ask some friends or family members how Verizon service has been in your area first. if reception/coverage for verizon is good in your area than i'd jump for the two year contract for the lower price of the phone.
i highly doubt that you'll be disappointed by the droid x, but if verizon's coverage is poor in your area than i wouldn't bother.

huelsebu

Reaction score
When I bought my Droid in December, I opted to get it with a one year contract. Sure, you pay a little more up front. But the benefit for me? I'm eligible for new phone pricing in just a few more months.

OP
M

mflynn

Reaction score
ask some friends or family members how Verizon service has been in your area first. if reception/coverage for verizon is good in your area than i'd jump for the two year contract for the lower price of the phone.
i highly doubt that you'll be disappointed by the droid x, but if verizon's coverage is poor in your area than i wouldn't bother.

I live in Boston Mass and they have excellent coverage, heck I used to be on verizon until the iPhone hit the streets and went over to AT&T. I have since dumped my iPhone and gotten a Nexus.

Verizon also has great coverage in New Hampshire which I like to visit, and AT&T as poor coverage so its a win in that sense.

I'm just a little hesitant to get locked into a 2 year contract with a high ETF. 1 year gives me more options but it will cost me.

I'm curious to hear other's opinions on this so thanks for posting.

ninjabox

Reaction score
I live in Boston Mass and they have excellent coverage, heck I used to be on verizon until the iPhone hit the streets and went over to AT&T. I have since dumped my iPhone and gotten a Nexus.

Verizon also has great coverage in New Hampshire which I like to visit, and AT&T as poor coverage so its a win in that sense.

I'm just a little hesitant to get locked into a 2 year contract with a high ETF. 1 year gives me more options but it will cost me.

I'm not far from you in Mass. I have excellent coverage on my verizon phone. A couple of my friends have iphone's and their service is garbage and if the head into new hamshire at all, it only get worse. But I think the 1 year contract is worth the extra money because you get to upgrade you phone yearly :icon_ banana:. For the Droid X after mail in rebate 2 years is $200 and 1 year is $269. The extra $69 is worth it because next year 4g will be here. Rumor has it 4g already in Boston for testing. So this time next year I will be getting a 4g phone.

tmoney2007

Reaction score

I'm not far from you in Mass. I have excellent coverage on my verizon phone. A couple of my friends have iphone's and their service is garbage and if the head into new hamshire at all, it only get worse. But I think the 1 year contract is worth the extra money because you get to upgrade you phone yearly :icon_ banana:. For the Droid X after mail in rebate 2 years is $200 and 1 year is $269. The extra $69 is worth it because next year 4g will be here. Rumor has it 4g already in Boston for testing. So this time next year I will be getting a 4g phone.

I'm with verizon no matter what, but getting the 1 year contract allows me to upgrade after 10 months instead of 20 and it only costs $70. Not being able to upgrade early made me stuck with the storm 1, so I had to go out and buy a droid to get away from that terrible device. That cost me ~$300, so $70 for a new phone is worth it for me. I can probably make the money back selling my old phone if it is only 10 months old.

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm contemplating moving from AT&T and going to Verizon and getting the Droid X. One question (out of many :) ) is this. Does it makes sense to pay more $$ for the phone and sign a single year contract as opposed to two.

I suppose this may make sense if you're not sure if you'll be on verizon for very long but I'm thinking that it will alter the upgrade date for a phone (it may not). I just want to know all of my options and which makes the most sense.

It makes sense if you like having the biggest and the best, as you get to upgrade every year. If you can deal with one phone for the length i dont see the point.

Lucas5

Reaction score
it sounds like you like to (or want to) jump from carrier to carrier in order to get the phone you want. Go ahead and only get the 1 year contract. I'm happy with my droid and verizon's service so i'm going to ride out the 2 year contract.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the last few posts are what i was gonna say. upgrade in 10 months with the one year plan, so you pretty much always keep the latest and greatest. ;)

check out droidxforums.com also. it's a sister site of this one, but geared specifically for the Droid X.

Elkay

Reaction score
Resale value on a 1 year old device is far better than a 2 year old device. You could almost make up the $69 with that alone.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I say just go with a one year contract with the Droid X. When your upgrade comes, you'll have plenty of devices to choose fro, that will have LTE capabilities.
Seems like that would be a smart move in my book. :)

jtaliani

Reaction score
I definitely wish we would have gone with one year contracts. We will be in the future.