One year contracts??

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we all know that NE2 is gone. We know that Best Buy only does two year contracts. But has anyone else seen..

Online upgrades through My Verizon only let you have a two year option. It won't let me choose to upgrade a line to a one year agreement. Did they get rid of one year completely or just something to be done in the store? Has anyone since the changes were made been able to sign a one year contract? I know me and a lot of others want to sign one years for the TB and other phones cause of NE2 being gone, but can we still? I thought you could, but now with finding that Verizon themselves are not offering a one year option online it makes me wonder?

EDIT: Just went to Verizon site and did not log in. As a new customer they gave me the option for a one year. So.. does this mean if we are upgrading we can not get the one year option now?

jdk2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1103
I've been eligible for about 3 months and tried to upgrade after reading your post. The 1 yr contract was an option for me.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you should be able to get the 1 year contract you may have to do it in person at a verizon store or on the phone.

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been eligible for about 3 months and tried to upgrade after reading your post. The 1 yr contract was an option for me.

My question would be are you up for a NE2 upgrade, or middle of a two year but have the annual upgrade option being the main line? I am in the latter of the two and was not sure since the contract still had a year if I had to sign a new 2 year as part of the annual upgrade on a two year contract.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm switching to 1 yr's as well. I'm not signing 2 with VZW anymore.

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Went to a Verizon corp store today and confirmed some interesting things. This only applies to if you hav a 2 yr contract. Are doing an annual upgrade on the main line after only one year of the 2yr contract. Not if you have completed a contract or are up for a NE2 renewal.

I am due for upgrade in August for NE2, but since Dec could upgrade with the annual upgrade. Went to store today and if you are upgrading a year early on the 2 yr then you HAVE to sign a two year and can not switch to the one year with your next phone. Can anyone confirm this from their end? Anyone know differently?

jdk2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1103
I was on a one year contract that's expired. So your situation doesn't apply to me. Sorry.

vatothe0

Reaction score
They told you correctly. They aren't going to allow you to buy new equipment and only extend your contact a few days or months.

UPDATE: Went to a Verizon corp store today and confirmed some interesting things. This only applies to if you hav a 2 yr contract. Are doing an annual upgrade on the main line after only one year of the 2yr contract. Not if you have completed a contract or are up for a NE2 renewal.

I am due for upgrade in August for NE2, but since Dec could upgrade with the annual upgrade. Went to store today and if you are upgrading a year early on the 2 yr then you HAVE to sign a two year and can not switch to the one year with your next phone. Can anyone confirm this from their end? Anyone know differently?

Sent from my DROIDX

BobFr

Reaction score
For those with two-year contracts, it now sounds like a one-year contract renewal is only available at the end of the original two years, not at the annual upgrade that was available before Jan. 16.

For further clarification, do you have to wait until the entire two years is up to get the one-year contract, or can you do it at the end of 20 months when you're eligible for an upgrade?

I'm the lucky one with an existing one-year commitment that was up in November. Unfortunately my wife's (the primary line) two years is not up until November, although her 20 month upgrade slot is in July. I've gotten her all excited about the Bionic (she had a Storm, and then a Storm2, so anything Android will seem like a massive upgrade), so she will be an unhappy camper if she has to wait until Nov.!:icon_evil:

vatothe0

Reaction score
You have never been able to do a one year contact when doing the annual upgrade.

Sent from my DROIDX

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a NE2 credit coming in about 6 months, but probably going to just kiss the measley $50-70 or whatever they offer goodbye. I'm not even sure I got the NE2 credit when I upgraded to the Droid, think I just assumed it was automatic but believe I paid the 2-yr contract price.

So unless I can get the NE2 credit and still switch to 1-yr plans I'm eating it. Strongly considering buying the Bionic retail and then if something better comes out at the end of my contract or when my NE2 comes up I'll hock it on EBAY and get the latest.

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct to get a one year on the upgrade u will need to be in month 20 of the two year. Otherwise new contract has to be 2 yr.

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now has anyone actually pre-ordered at BB with the annual upgrade on the 2 yr contract? I was told by one rep today you couldn't at subsidized price and they would only give a discount of $35. However the manager is supposed to call me back to discuss further.

But last year this is how I got my D1 was doing the annual on a 2yr contract and it was done with BB.. granted I was working directly with a manager at the time..

Anyone have issues with the pre-order cause of the annual upgrade?